Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Yes, it's also mentioned in the last line of my original post about the event. I now think I'll go - I've never met McDermott, though I used to write for the old Experience Hendrix magazine back in the dark ages :agree:

2. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Well, RAD or not, I was able to pick up a copy at the local Indie store this morning.

Lover Man sounds superb. The performance, however, leaves a bit to be desired. But, hey, it's an outtake, right? I'll still gladly buy anything Jimi ever recorded.

The B-side is a Dutch television studio rendition of Foxey Lady from November, 1967. This is a previously unreleased, non-album track that sounds pretty decent.

The jacket artwork has an interesting theme.

3. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Lover Man band and vocal performances sound uninspired, but what a great little guitar solo in the middle!!

I agree 100%. Funky, soulful, melodic and almost always dead on.

supernaut, Lonson and Kassonica like this.
  4. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I have every issue safely stashed away. I LOVED that magazine. I'd like to read some of your contributions. Do you recall specific stories/issues I should look for?

5. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Thinking back on it now, it's kind of hard to believe that was TWO DECADES ago! Yipes! But for my upcoming book about Jimi's music, I was just going over the transition from Alan Douglas to the formation of Experience Hendrix, so yes - it's been that long! I too have all the issues of the magazine down in the archives, I'll have to go through them to see what I wrote, but off the top of my head I know I did the feature on the Experience swing through Texas. I can't remember if my Lonnie Youngblood interview was the basis of a feature in that publication - I know it was in UniVibes. I'm thinking of doing a "debris shot" for the book of Jimi on the covers of a pile of magazines - if so I'll pull out the copies of Experience Hendrix for a memory refresh...

6. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Oh, I also did the big feature on the Experience at Monterey. When I get my hands on the issues I can let you know what ran where :agree:

Mike Dow and Gordon Johnson like this.
  7. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

"Lover Man" was a favored Hendrix original and the guitarist was determined to realize a finished master. Previous attempts by the original EXPERIENCE had yet to yield this for Hendrix but this December 1969 effort by the BAND OF GYPSYS — complete with its homage to the popular "Batman" theme song — was his strongest effort to date.
    ---
    'strongest effort to date'....gotta be kidding...this version is no where near any 'master' version.

Fox67, Fred68, kees1954 and 1 other person like this.
  8. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Jimi really had a thing for this song, but despite throwing everything he had at it multiple times and with varying musicians, he just never heard what he was looking for. There are many lackluster versions of the song, all that you listen to and think, "Well, that was OK..."

DrBeatle and ExHead like this.
  9. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I agree completely. Some interesting parts but nowhere near as good as the TTG version on SSD or the EL version on the purple box.

10. Saw the single in a store I. Seattle yesterday. Didn’t pick it up.

[​IMG]

11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Hmmm, the photo says otherwise.....;)

12. :tiphat:

13. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

It always seemed strange to me, as it was just an original (but not especially inventive) lyric over his earlier arrangement of Rock Me Baby. As I said above, it's a nifty solo - nifty enough that I was damn glad to have heard it in this kind of sound quality.

frank3si likes this.
  14. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Yes. But nothing will replace that Live At Monterey version of "Rock Me Baby". It was heavy.

Lownote30, DrBeatle, weavzy and 3 others like this.
  15. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

For sure.

frank3si likes this.
  16. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

cover art?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I believe the b-side is unreleased and is not on the new album.

Matthew Tate and Purple Jim like this.
  19. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

i mean whats exclusive to record store day? you can buy the record online already. i have, and i already have it., record store day isn't for a while.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. It's also very similar to "Can You See Me". Personally speaking I can't understand for the life of me what Jimi saw in the song and quite why he kept returning to it. It's decidedly average at best.

smoke, jhm and Fred68 like this.
  21. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Worked best in his Rock Me Baby arrangement & the Monterey version was never topped

The Beave likes this.
  22. John Harchar

Well it's one of those weird cases where it's in the stores right now, but I just got an email from amazon asking me if I still want the item since they have no idea when it will be released. :confused:

Gordon Johnson and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. John Harchar

It's fine on its own, but you've got a good point. I'm not sure what exactly he had in his mind what a studio version should sound like after doing it for years live. It's not something like Hear My Train or Valleys of Neptune, it's a 3 minute in and out number. Rock Me Baby was heavy, but Lover Man worked best when it was lighter in the 1970 shows. I've said it before, I don't know why they didn't consider the one from the purple box the go to studio version and let it sit until 2000. To me that's as good as anything released in the posthumous era, it just needed a mix.

SteveM likes this.
  24. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I think the purpose is to make it as difficult as possible for actual Hendrix fans to find. I'm in the Philadelphia area and stores that I know are participants in Record Store Day have not received this single. And I'd prefer not to pay double/triple/??? to the eBay flipping market. I suppose it will be a case of waiting for the price to inevitably drop. Oddly, many of the eBay listings are shipping from the UK.

Gordon Johnson, Matthew Tate and jhm like this.
  25. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Even though it is its name. Record Store Day is not
    just about a day. The group promotes releases all
    year long. In the case of the Hendrix 7", it is being
    exclusively sold at independent retailers (at least
    for now). The Amazon listing was a mistake and
    should not have happened.

The RSD website occasionally list indie store only
    releases.

This is a similar one
    MARGO PRICE ALL AMERICAN MADE

Since, this Hendrix release was announced* so close
    to the annual RSD April event. I think people are getting
    confused thinking it has something to do with it.

*It was announced weeks ago. It being a indie
    exclusive is all that is new in the RSD press
    releases.

jhm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.