Jimi Hendrix: EH Valleys Of Neptune, People Hell & Angels, Both Sides Of The Skies as 1 Cd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Hello All,

How about we make a 1 Cd of the very best of these 3 EH releases, what would the track listing be, no rules etc for order but it can only contain the core tracks from Experience Hendrix's Trilogy of:

Valleys Of Neptune:

1. Stone Free 3:48
    2. Valleys of Neptune 4:05
    3. Bleeding Heart" Elmore James 6:23
    4. Hear My Train A Comin' 7:32
    5. Mr. Bad Luck 2:58
    6. Sunshine of Your Love 6:48
    7. Lover Man 4:17
    8. Ships Passing Through the Night 5:54
    9. Fire 3:14
    10. Red House 8:22
    11. Lullaby for the Summer 3:51
    12. Crying Blue Rain

People, Hell And Angels:

1. Earth Blues 3:33
    2. Somewhere 4:05
    3. Hear My Train A Comin' 5:41
    4. Bleeding Heart 3:58
    5. Let Me Move You 6:50
    6. Izabella 3:42
    7. Easy Blues 5:57
    8. Crash Landing 4:14
    9. Inside Out 5:03
    10. Hey Gypsy Boy 3:39
    11. Mojo Man 4:07
    12. Villanova Junction Blues

Both Sides Of The Sky:

1. Mannish Boy 5:01
    2. Lover Man 3:03
    3. Hear My Train A Comin’ 7:25
    4. Stepping Stone 3:12
    5. $20 Fine 4:59
    6. Power Of Soul 5:55
    7. Jungle 3:28
    8. Things I Used to Do 3:41
    9. Georgia Blues 7:55
    10. Sweet Angel 3:54
    11. Woodstock 5:19
    12. Send My Love To Linda 4:36
    13. Cherokee Mist 7:01

ultimately its up to you but personally I think that it should only include what has been released on these 3 core compilations, so no Bonus Tracks, Single B Sides, Boxset Songs etc.

Can we make a really great cohesive Hendrix Album ? :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Gordon Johnson and eyeCalypso like this.
  2. Maidenpriest

To start with mine would include Power Of Soul, Mannish Boy and Cherokee Mist from Both Sides, not sure about Hear My Train or which Lover Man to use yet, unfortunately I would drop Valleys Of Neptune (song) and Crash Landing because to me they sound terrible the way they have been created and because of the rules I have set out I can not include the original untampered versions:( ?

3. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Just to clarify, which of the tracks were messed with?

1. Stone Free 3:48 - Does this have a flown in solo or something?
    2. Valleys of Neptune 4:05 - We know what happened here.

8. Crash Landing 4:14 - Vocals messed with.

1. Mannish Boy 5:01 - composited from various takes.
    8. Things I Used to Do 3:41 - edited.
    11. Woodstock 5:19 - composited from 3 takes.
    12. Send My Love To Linda 4:36 - 4 takes from 2 wildly different versions joined together. Personally, I think this sounds ridiculous.

Is this all that was edited, composited or just in general messed with from the ''trilogy''?

Is everything else assumed to be nothing more than a mix from the multi-tracks?

Pete Puma and Maidenpriest like this.
  4. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Earth Blues-3:33
    Bleeding Heart-VoN-6:23
    Cherokee Mist-7:02
    Hear My Train A Comin'-VoN-7:32
    Stepping Stone-3:12
    Izabella-3:42
    Easy Blues-5:57
    Lover Man-VoN-4:32
    Lullaby For The Summer-3:51
    Inside Out-5:03
    Ships Passing in the Night-5:54
    Somewhere-4:05
    Things I Used To Do-3:41
    Send My Love To Linda-4:36
    Valleys of Neptune-4:05
    Villanova Junction Blues-1:45

I put the decent sounding Frankensteins/major edits to the back (Somewhere had to be on since it was a major hit saleswise as a single). Looks like when there was a question of different versions, I defaulted to Neptune. Power of Soul belongs elsewhere.

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

From those 3 collections, as a single vinyl:

Side 1
    Sunshine Of Your Love
    Cherokee Mist
    Red House

Side 2
    Lullaby For The Summer
    Easy Blues
    Hear My Train A Comin' (which one, I haven't decided yet)

The rest is box set or Dagger material.

If a CD, and including tracks from WCSB and B-Sides etc., I'd add:

Noel's Tune
    Tears Of Rage
    12 Bar With Horns
    Peace In Mississippi (but it went on the purple box re-release dammit)

6. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Stone Free had the April 69 vocals flown into a May 69 backing track. Somewhere had the vocals and bridge solo flown in from a later recording. The PHA Hear My Train has the ending of a previous take tacked on. Easy Blues has 3 minutes of Larry's solo cut out. The Mitch and Noel 87 overdubs are noted in the VoN liner notes.

Cokelike- and Maidenpriest like this.
  7. Thanks for the thread....

Here's my first crack at a single disk culled from the "trilogy";)
    Some qualifiers: I tried not to include songs that were already included in earlier albums (like Izabella) plus try for a real coherent flow which excluded some of the funkier material.

1) Valley's Of Neptune 3:48 (VoN) -I hate that it is missing the flamenco guitar, but I still think this is too cool a song to skip
    2) Hear My Train A Comin' 7:25 (BSoS)-A good version that needs to be here for strong blues representation
    3) Stone Free 3:48 (VoN)-A good song and version, only released on Smash Hits, originally, so I made an exception for this one
    4) Cherokee Mist 7:01 (BSoS) -nice trippy instrumental finally sounding good
    5) Somewhere 4:05 (PHA)-Lots of folks dislike this mix, but I continue to enjoy it quite a bit
    6) Crying Blue Rain 4:56 (VoN)-A strong jam worthy of inclusion
    7) Villanova Junction Blues 1:45 (PHA)-slight, but beautiful, plus it takes up little space
    8) Crash Landing 4:14 (PHA) -I love this song and mix
    9) Send My Love To Linda 4:36 (BSoS) -A new song, granted a cobbled together affair but it has it's charms
    10) Lover Man 3:03 (BSoS) -I prefer the Purple Box studio version, but this sloppy version has it's charms and groove
    11) Hey Gypsy Boy 3:39 (PHA)-yeah, a proto-First Rays, but completely different lyrics and groove -I like it
    12) Ships Passing Through The Night 5:52 (VoN) -Basically just a proto Nightbird Flying, but the groove is quite unique plus the guitar playing here rules!

footlooseman and Maidenpriest like this.
  8. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I can't complain if tracks are composited, vocals flown in, endings tacked on and so on. THAT'S HOW RECORDS ARE MADE. Even if the artist is alive and well. There's nothing counterfeit on these Jimi albums. In the end I want an enjoyable listen NOT a history lesson. Musical archeology is interesting but rarely bears up to repeated listening.

RyanC3082, BrentB, weavzy and 5 others like this.
  9. Maidenpriest

I think Stone Free may be alright :) I can't remember much talk about it and it sounds similar to the Douglas version (of course without what ever Douglas did to it) but someone else may know more I tended to not concentrate too much on these EH albums when the original untampered with versions are out there ?

10. Maidenpriest

Somewhere has to be included I think it is great and the only thing so far that has worked, love that guitar !! but I still prefer the Douglas version regardless of what he did to it, it just sounds more finished and is a good enough reason for any Hendrix fan to own 'Crash Landing' !! :)

E.Baba and Pete Puma like this.
  11. Maidenpriest

I may try that despite containing Frankensteined versions, because that track listing looks so good, and at least it is a place to have those version, although it would be so much better with original takes of Valleys and Crash Landing IMO:drool:

Pete Puma likes this.
  12. Maidenpriest

yes but listen to the originals they are better, its not really the ethics that is always the problem if the originals sound better (although in lesser sound quality), if you are unaware of the originals i would demonstrate my opinion if all youtube vids were not blocked :(

13. My "funky" single disk would be something like this:

1) Power of Soul 5:55 (BSoS) -very nice mix here
    2) Mannish Boy 5:01 (BSoS) -not crazy about the mono sound here, but it's still a cool song
    3) Bleeding Heart 6:20 (VON) -Nice vocals here
    4) Mojo Man 4:07 (PHA) -I love this song and it should fit well in this collection
    5) Stepping Stone 3:12 (BSoS) -A nice alternative to the better single version
    6) Izabella 3:43 (PHA) -ditto
    7) Easy Blues 5:57 (PHA) -Instrumental
    8) Earth Blues 3:37 (PHA) -fits the mood well, but not a real favorite of mine
    9) Lullaby For Summer 3:48 (VON) Instrumental
    10) Sweet Angel 3:54 (BSoS) -a nice mello coda to bring things to a close

Natural E and footlooseman like this.
  14. Maidenpriest

Pete Puma likes this.
  15. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

And for any new fans to Jimi Hendrix, Crash Landing and Midnight Lightning are not Jimi Hendrix either!

16. Maidenpriest

my Cd:

1) Villanova Junction Blues (PHA) - I am a sucker for following the JHE template of an intro or build up I would use VJB as an intro to Somewhere. Have not tried it yet so I hope it would work, if not choose another slow blues instrumental from these albums :))
    2) Somewhere (PHA)
    3) Lover Man 3:03 (BSoS)
    4) Hear My Train A Comin' 7:25 (BSoS) - just because it is the most newest at the mo, maybe after more listens that could change)
    5) Mannish Boy (BSoS)
    6) Power Of Soul (BSoS)
    7) Bleeding Heart (VON)
    8) Easy Blues (PHA)
    9) Earth Blues (PHA)
    10) Crying Blue Rain 4:56 (VON)
    11) Izabella (PHA)
    12) Stepping Stone (BSoS)
    13) Stone Free 3:48 (VON)
    14) Hey Gypsy Boy 3:39 (PHA)
    15) Cherokee Mist 7:01 (BSoS)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    footlooseman and Pete Puma like this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I would have released the collaborations (Youngblood, Stills, Winter, Twins) as one album.
    Released the RAH studio rehearsals as one album.
    Released the Gypsy Sun & Rainbows HIT Factory recordings as one album.
    Etc.
    But I lack the one qualification reguired to be a EH album compiler, braindead :).

18. Honestly, I'd leave VON as is, and I'd try and build one better (2nd) CD out of PHAA & BSOTS.

I mean, I could tinker with VON a little, sure -- but as an album experience, I think it's mostly pretty darn good as is. VON always felt like a fairly 'real' Jimi Hendrix "album" to me. More than South Saturn Delta, even, FWIW. (I like most of SSD, mind you, but I don't think it hangs together well as an album experience.)

So later I'll take a crack at combining PHAA & BSOTS -- as I do think something pretty could can be built out of some of both.

mpayan and Maidenpriest like this.
  19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Of course but when they start doing that with demos and rehearsals it's just dumb - and then they try and tart it all up with kitsch graphics and press it on 180g vinyl :rolleyes::crazy:

DTK, Cokelike- and Maidenpriest like this.
  20. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I'd lose the tracks with 1987 overdubs for a start.

21. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

If I where to make a list / playlist [which I never do as I like to play the albums as a whole or the sessions as is / are], it would consist of material I had not heard before, deleting those with post 1970 overdubs.
    The editing, heavy handed that it is at times is fine as long as the music was recorded while the man was alive and had some connection to that recording.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  22. Maidenpriest

Doesn't work :) MEGA

Maybe It would work better if Hendrix's playing was not so out of tune on VJB (I will drop that one now :))

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im no Hendrix expert. Here are my thoughts though:

Jimi has some pretty inspired playing on the handful of songs he has guest singers on. However, they dont fit at all with the other material on the three releases. Id rather see a 10-12 song set in which all the best of the guests are on one cd.

Having done that then I could maybe do an 8 song comp of the best of the trilogy Jimi on vocals stuff mixed with a couple of the best instrumentals.

The tough thing about this is much of these are building block songs. Gateway to finished versions. Cool to hear but making a cohesive best of album from them is near impossible. They just dont lend themselves to that very well.

Having said that, I kind of mixed and matched. Using the best finished songs we all are familiar with that didnt make it a proper album but are coolio different and exciting enough that they can be used.

Probably the most controversial choice I will make is the song "Somewhere" I know its pieced together really too much, but I think it holds together well as a good song.

I fully admit that Im more trying to make a balance between the best of each of these and a proper sounding album (impossible I know). Unfortunately a couple of the best ones are guest spots. And Id want a separate album for that.

Anyway, here is my attempt...

1) Stone Free-(Valley Of Neptune)

2) Bleeding Heart-(Valley Of Neptune)

3) Sweet Angel-(Both Sides Of The Sky)

4) Hear My Train A Comin- (Valley Of Neptune)

5) Stepping Stone (Both Sides Of The Sky)

6) Gypsy Boy (People Hell And Angels)

7) Somewhere (People Hell And Angels)

8) Cherokee Mist (Both Sides Of The Sky)

I think all in all VON is the best release of the 3. This last one is pretty meh save for a couple.

Still I am thankful Jimi is being put out there and something cool trickles by once in awhile to paint the musical skyline and remind us of his colors.

24. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

So to recap, the following were messed with in some way:

Valleys Of Neptune:

1. Stone Free 3:48 - Vocals from one take flown into backing track of other take.
    2. Valleys of Neptune 4:05 - Vocals from one take flown into backing track of other take, but this time completely different sessions.
    5. Mr. Bad Luck 2:58 - 1987 bass and drums overdubs
    7. Lover Man 4:17 - 1987 bass and drums overdubs
    12. Crying Blue Rain 4:56 - 1987 bass and drums overdubs

People, Hell And Angels:

2. Somewhere 4:05 - Vocals and bridge solo flown in from later recording.
    3. Hear My Train A Comin' 5:41 - Ending from previous take added.
    7. Easy Blues 5:57 - 3 minutes edited out.
    8. Crash Landing 4:14 - Vocals time-shifted.

Both Sides Of The Sky:

1. Mannish Boy 5:01 - Composited from various takes.
    8. Things I Used to Do 3:41 - Edited.
    11. Woodstock 5:19 - Composited from 3 takes.
    12. Send My Love To Linda 4:36 - 4 takes from 2 wildly different versions joined together.

Some of these choices are worse than others, but for me I wouldn't use any of this stuff on my 1 disc comp of the 3.

Of the 24 tracks left over, I'd probably go with some of the the songs/jams that I haven't heard a million times. So stuff like "Fire" and "Red House", and the new "Lover Man" are out. Likewise, "Earth Blues" and "Power Of Soul" are just variations really, not really that different, so they're out too. Also, I'd only use one "Hear My Train" so that means the other 2 are out.

I'd probably do something like:

Hear My Train A Comin' 7:32 (VoN)
    Ships Passing Through the Night 5:54 (VoN)
    Cherokee Mist 7:01 (BSoTS)
    Hey Gypsy Boy 3:39 (PHA)
    Lullaby for the Summer 3:51 (VoN)
    Inside Out 5:03 (PHA)
    Sweet Angel 3:54 (BSoTS)
    Villanova Junction Blues 1:48 (PHA)

mpayan and Maidenpriest like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.