Jimi Hendrix Experience Electric Ladyland (50th Anniversary Edition) 4-CD Box EH/Sony Nov. 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanakaris, Mar 21, 2018.

1. dee

dee Senior Member

You are noting that the 1997 and 2010 cds have the same Dynamic Range #s as the blur ray hi rez stereo mix?

2. dee

dee Senior Member

I feel like you dropped the 'e' at some point ;););:):):):)

Ok, sorry for the superfluous post but thanks for basically describing and sharing a lot of info and comments on this set!

Oatsdad likes this.
  3. It should not be against the grain. In no way should it be against the grain. It should be a mega happy occasion! But, here I am, once again, doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. Might that be the definition of insanity?

I just cannot wrap my brain around Bernie Grundman remastering Cry of Love, Rainbow Bridge, the Fillmore East Show, and the recent Axis: Bold as Love SACD, all to great results, only to turn around and dynamically squash the hell out of EL.

Not that the DR numbers tell the whole story, but that this many consecutive dynamically compromised tracks in a row is sure to cause listening fatigue as these are not subtle numbers.

In this day and age it seems like classic album labels have all learned their lesson when it comes to dynamics. This isn't new music. Indeed, it's the 50th anniversary of one of the greatest albums of all times!

First the skimped on the outtakes. Then they added a Dagger release of suspect quality (that has nothing to do with EL) right in the middle of the set, and then for the coup de grâce they've smashed the album proper.

Yeah, I'll just do myself the favor and get the 8 outtakes from the Russians. I've cancelled the AYE SACD, as well, until I know more about it.

I needed a little anger in my life. Everything's been going too well lately.

I'll never preorder a thing from EH again.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  4. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Have i missed something? Squashed? Bernie? Huh?? Which format are you referring to? Vinyl or cd?

5. The uncompressed LPCM 24/96 stereo from the blu-ray: Album details - Dynamic Range Database

NOS300B and dee like this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Sony Music Entertainment and Experience Hendrix L.L.C. Announce Renewal of Exclusive Worldwide Licensing Agreement for Jimi Hendrix Music and Film Catalog

Janie signed an 8 year term 2009-2017 and re-signed with Sony Legacy last year. BSOTS and EL50 are is how Janie is starting the current licensing deal. I mentioned this crucial bit of information a week ago but my post take an hour or two to show up due to a forum probation and this thread moved too fast.

7. dee

dee Senior Member

Well fwiw I'm just going to hang in here with the purchase preorder and go from there. It's just barely 'cheap enough' for me and the surround and the book will have enough resale value to my cost or I'll just 'donate' my copy or something in between like that. The DR#s aren't all knowing in that the new Costello record has poorish #s but a large majority of listeners like the sound (EQ/Mix) of it. Not sure if that's also for the vinyl, since that's what many people reported on as not as dynamically squeezed as the Costello cd and download. At any rate there's still potential for an interesting downmix and maybe a few definitive kinds of outtakes. I put my rosecolored glasses on. Even or especially after a pre-order savings of $2 and change seems no longer included in the Amazon pre-order. My invoice went from $42 to $45. Fun times!

905 likes this.
  8. calpon

calpon Forum Resident

F.....g Amazon....not getting mine until next Tuesday. So much for being a Prime member and preordering 2 months in advance :(

jhm likes this.
  9. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Seems many of you are ripping this up like shreaded wheat. How do the non booted outtakes sound, performance wise?

10. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Not gonna lie. I have no idea what any of that means. I have no interest in the bluray. Hopefully the vinyl sounds good.

905 likes this.
  11. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Very disappointed to hear the original album is squashed on this release. Along with the content issues. This stuff isn't that hard - give music fans a quality release and they will buy copies to give out at Christmas. Hopefully the numbers are lying in this case but the concert sounding as crappy as expected is not encouraging.

Sounds like a disturbing lack of class treatment for one of the greatest artists of the rock era.

12. You're right. The DR numbers are not all knowing. However, for a long album like this, one that I never get tired of sitting all the way through, too many compressed tracks in a row is simply too much for my ears. That's the problem. I mean, I can put on the last Jamiroquai album, which is compressed and limited to the teeth, but I'll pick maybe 2 or 3 songs and it doesn't wear on me. Play the whole album in one go and walk away with very real headache. I have a few modern singles that are brickwalled (but not clipped to distortion - and even a few with damn good mixes), yet it's one song and it's okay.

The fact that this came out of Grundman's house is what really has me baffled.

Yeah, hopefully the vinyl sounds better. I can afford to cancel my order - though I wanted the physical product - because a buddy of mine is getting the vinyl set and we really know how to rip vinyl in a professional way. None of this just putting the wax on and letting it spin. Still, I'm confused.

Here's the rub: it's been bandied around that EL will eventually get the Analog Productions SACD treatment to follow Axis & AYE. If that happens, and the numbers looks like this, or it sounds the same, there will be even more of an outcry. If the future AP release has better numbers and/or sounds better than the 50th anniversary set there's going to be an outcry from those who purchased this 50th set.

I just can't imagine a complete Hendrix studio set of SACDs with AYE & ABAL having all of these shining dynamics, and then EL is the turd at the end of the run (that's assuming that AYE is in keeping with the excellent production value of ABAL).

jhm likes this.
  13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Wasn't the AYE mono layer on the SACD a dud like the RSD release?

14. moops

moops Senior Member

Interesting comment about dynamic range from a recent thread ..... post #206

dee likes this.
  15. And? There's two ends of the spectrum. I have plenty of recordings with great dynamic range but they sound like ass. The same thing with sustained listening on the overly compressed end of the spectrum. The latter I know will be a waste of money. The former is a listen-to-find-out scenario.

16. moops

moops Senior Member

Exactly what he said .... dynamic range isn't everything, and I think you said pretty much the same thing a couple of posts back. Sure there's two ends of the spectrum, but many here seem too willing to write a disc off if their DR expectations don't hit double figures.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    dee and Gordon Johnson like this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Indeed. BUT if the files are severely clipped - I can't tell from the DR numbers if they are - it is usually very audible - and that feels like a defective product though, which no resolution in the world can counteract.

yardbuzzard likes this.
  18. beatlebum

beatlebum Forum Resident

Thanks for this information. As the blu-ray is my main buying point for this set i will wait for the reviews what it sounds like.

19. moops

moops Senior Member

Sure, all I was getting at was you can only really make a definitive call if it sucks or not after actually hearing it.

DTK likes this.
  20. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Toooo - morrow !
    :pineapple:

David67 likes this.
  21. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

cool thanks. cancelled my cd and vinyl order. ill pick it up cheap later.

22. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

23. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I wonder if anyone will ask Kramer and John McDermott about the mastering of the Bluray

24. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Might be an alternate I don’t have, thanks!

Got the email from Amazon, I get mine tomorrow...and I’ll e out of town for a bit and probably won’t get to hear it until a couple of weeks from now >:-(

25. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

It’s PCM, that’s what they meant by uncompressed...pretty common terminology from Sony as they’ve been using it since The Fifth Element on Blu in 2006

Pretty crap DR tho from what one would expect having seen the mastering on the Analogue Productions release. All but guarantees the AAA vinyl will be superior!

Vinylsoul 1965 likes this.