Jimi Hendrix Experience Electric Ladyland (50th Anniversary Edition) 4-CD Box EH/Sony Nov. 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanakaris, Mar 21, 2018.

1. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Right now these seem to be the only things from the set making the rounds streaming-wise, they're appearing on iTunes and Tidal as well. Wonder if that "original album plus tracks from posthumous albums for streaming" idea fell by the wayside. Yet another thing I'll have to do on my own I guess...

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ha ha - validation! :D

And the gorts still haven't tried to murder me for commenting on sound quality though I don't have an equipment profile listed - WINNING! :pineapple:

3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Haven't heard it yet, but from the reports and reviews presented thus far, it sounds like this Hollywood Bowl source is substandard. It is one thing to include a lo-fidelity tape with clarity, and another to include a distorted and muffled recording. The inclusion of this concert recording remains puzzling because it is not as if the producers were light on archival material to use.

4. PacificOceanBlue

Absolutely. That is clearly what they are doing here, but it is still very odd, because after managing the catalogue for over 20 years and holding back quite a bit of tantalizing studio material, this was one of those projects where they had to let some of it go, and they chose not to.

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I believe someone mentioned earlier that 2 of the Hollywood Bowl songs were also not complete.

tmtomh, 905 and jhm like this.
  6. John Harchar

Now would "I got an iPhone 6S and some headphones from Kohl's" count as an equipment profile? That's how I'm going to be listening to most of this. :laugh:

7. PacificOceanBlue

Would not surprise me. I hope to give it an evaluation over the weekend.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ha - yeah, that's an equipment profile! Not a GOOD one, but it's still your "listening rig"! :D

Mine would be my computer, so I figured why bother posting a profile at all? I'm not going to make serious declarations of sound quality based on THAT "rig"!

I felt confident saying "Hollywood Bowl" sounds bad because I don't think you need a good system to tell it's distorted! :)

9. John Harchar

So Foxy & Fire are complete on the one already out there, but not on the "improved" one. :doh:

Thanks for the scouting report!

Purple Jim likes this.
  10. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

"both sides of the sky" was the first hendrix product i passed on. the EL anniversary is the second... and theyre making it easier and easier.

looking briefly, i see i spent $432 dollars on music in the last 2 weeks....

but i dont have a penny for this.

Tuck1977, Revolver, SteveM and 2 others like this.
  11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Listening through a computer is "winning"?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  12. John Harchar

Commenting on sound quality with no equipment profile is. :righton:

(Not that general comments would result in exile and banishment, but hey, can never be too careful...)

Oatsdad likes this.
  13. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

So the 24/96 version is squashed? Am I going to have to stick to my old Reprise CD for this one?

14. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

So is the cover art as low quality on the physical product as it is on the image they have on amazon? crushed blacks, weird colours and all

15. audiomixer

How is the 5.1????

16. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Digging into the box beginning with the 5.1 mix. So far, I'm enjoying it very much. I've been longing to hear this album mixed for surround and I am not disappointed. Worth the price of admission just for this, in my opinion.

17. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Has anyone actually listened to the album on vinyl yet? Or are we still all waiting for our copies?

E.Baba likes this.
  18. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I think it sounds great. It remains faithful to the sound of the original mix with enough going on in each channel to remind you that it isn't.

Oatsdad, Efus and Cokelike- like this.
  19. audiomixer

Thanks. It's basically why I bought this set.

Mike Dow likes this.
  20. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

How do they expect to draw new listeners in to listening to Jimi by including this musically and sound quality substandard live recording? Would anyone hearing this be inspired to buy other "Dagger" releases? Obviously not. Very strange.

Instead they should have done what the Beach Boys team did with Sunshine Tomorrow - include live versions of every song from Wild Honey they had live versions of, from different concerts and different times. They could have done that with this release, and although they would be duplicating material it would have fit in better with the EL 50th theme and might have sent listeners to the live releases on Dagger and on the regular EH live releases.

21. OnTheMike

OnTheMike Forum Resident

I'm listening to the standard cd remaster right now. I'm only a few songs in, but I think I like it better than the George Marino remaster. Less harsh sounding, from what I can tell so far.

duneman, Lonson, tmtomh and 1 other person like this.
  22. John Harchar

Only problem is he really only did Come On, Watchtower and Voodoo Child live. They could have done a CD of studio alternates of each of the tracks like Zeppelin did on their DEs (flawed as those were).

There are other live Daggers that are practically essential listening (the Paris shows and Woburn immediately spring to mind). That doesn't even mention the studio Daggers that ARE essential listening. The inclusion of HB is curiouser and curiouser...

jhm likes this.
  23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I like the Bowl recording for what it is but it's definitely Dagger level material.
    It's odd that they'd think the people who go for hi rez would want to pay for it.
    They tried to corner too many markets with one release here, which is pretty dumb.
    One set should have contained the remaster and the hi rez hoo haa.
    Another set should have contained the hotel room demos, a more generous helping of outtakes and the Bowl concert.

24. Ripthisjoint

Ripthisjoint Active Member

If anybody finds the time... Would it be possible for anybody to post a sample of the remastered CD? I (and I'm sure everybody else here) would really appreciate that. I am considering buying the Boxset only because of the remastered CD to finally own a good digital version of the album. But after some people claiming it sounds crushed I'm sceptical.

25. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

And Burning of the Midnight Lamp. And versions of outtakes from the sessions, like Tax Free.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018