Jimi Hendrix Experience Electric Ladyland (50th Anniversary Edition) 4-CD Box EH/Sony Nov. 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanakaris, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

So, yeah, back to the set this thread is about. Did Eddie Kramer purposely change the effects for the 5.1 mix so it sucked all of the magic out of it???? I really don't get the praise I'm reading for this 5.1 mix. It's okay, but it could have been done so much better. It's extremely far from the best surround mix I've ever heard. Gypsy Eyes is ruined by the wrong phasing on the bass drum at the beginning. 1983 is no longer a painting. It sounds like he left the faders all in the same place and left the room for that mix. Then, For Voodoo Child (Slight Return), Kramer left in the first hi hat accent that Mitch played, and it isn't strong. That's why it isn't in the final stereo mix! Also, not everything is supposed to be phased in that song, but it seems like every time a Jimi solo comes around, Eddie either artificially doubled it, or did the phasing thing. Then, where there is supposed to be crazy phasing (parts of Midnight Lamp), Eddie didn't do it! What an absolute lost opportunity!

2. No, but he's still pretty prolific for a dead guy.

All Down The Line likes this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Berlin '70 is a very good audience recording and Jimi plays extremely well (Machine Gun in particular). But the vibe is spooky, Jimi's voice strained after last night's concert night in Copenhagen, and he barely speaks at all. Who knows what was weighting on his mind, but it's an eerie concert.

4. I say May 10th, 1970, San Antonio, Texas would give it a run for its money. I'm not saying that because I'm a Texan. Jimi was in a great mood until the very, very end, and you can tell by his playing. Actually all of the notes are pretty clear in the San Antonio show; they are only really muffled.

That said, listening to Isle of Fehmarn right now, and it's pretty swell. This show's version of "Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)" is a strong contender for one of the best. I'm still partial to Hawaii 1970, though, as being the best.

Okay, back to EL 50th. Sorry.

Roberto899 and DTK like this.
  5. texquad

texquad Senior Member

That's pretty harsh.
    So maybe the mix isn't perfect but you've got to give it an E for effort & Eddie.

6. You know, the more I listen to it, the more I agree. My caveat, of course, is that I don't have a 5.1 system and I've only been listening to the downmix.

The initial charm has worn off, where it now sounds too slick - nothing like the clips that Eddie plays in the studio for the documentary. Those clips sound ripe for a premium rough mix, just to give us an extra flavor.

Lownote30 likes this.
  7. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

No. I give him an F for not enough effort. Given that he has the original stereo to go by, he could have done a lot better! At least it's tonally pleasant.

8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes IOW does hold some fascination.
    At times it is like a great titan beset by beasts!

905 likes this.
  9. All Down The Line

Yes plus that January 1st thingy.

SG47 likes this.
  10. All Down The Line

I was happy with the single cd from the Footlights Box circa 91/92 and the DVD!
    In From The Storm is hot!

DTK likes this.
  11. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I don’t know this album like the back of my hand like I do the White Album or Music From Big Pink, so I don’t notice the differences. I guess I’m able to enjoy it for what it is.

On that point though, when I’ve listened to the Beatles surround mix of Cry Baby Cry, I have wondered if that phasing was printed onto the multitracks or if they recreated it. I just don’t dare dip back into those Beatles threads. They crazy.

Lownote30, 905 and All Down The Line like this.
  12. All Down The Line

Yes in part due to Mitch also!

SG47 likes this.
  13. All Down The Line

Plus the better Berkeley set which has not been issued in full!

14. All Down The Line

Mitch could not say what went down that day as he had flown back to England to see his new baby daughter and got back just for the gig!

DTK likes this.
  15. All Down The Line

Yes Maui needs an EH release!

SG47, 905 and EVOLVIST like this.
  16. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Nice to hear a different opinion. To me the 5.1 mix sounds just awesome and brings Jimi fully up to date. Very tastefully up to date I might add. Plus you get the original mix too. So itt really is tbe best of both worlds. I think they should release the Blu Ray as a standalone because hearing it should not be limited to only those that can afford or want a full boxset.

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

You know, I bought just bought that old thing "Isle Of Wight 70" (from Alan Douglas) for research purposes as I had never heard it. I played it yesterday and it is absolutely awful. The pits.

Doctor Flang likes this.
  18. All Down The Line

Most Douglas things are best avoided.

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well I'd say that for IOW '70, Crash Landing, Midnight Lightning and Voodoo Soup but these albums were great:

Nine To The Universe
    The Jimi Hendrix Concerts
    Jimi Plays Monterey
    Live At Winterland
    Stages
    Radio One
    Blues

20. All Down The Line

Good call and half a point for Stages for the 69' disc and 3/4 for Blues.

Douglas also included himself in a video clip for Are You Experienced!

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes! What a twat.

22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Lots of fake applause and harsh sound, but at the time it was essential for the up to then unreleased songs.

23. All Down The Line

Yes and we have mainly only discussed vinyl and cd excursions.

24. All Down The Line

What about EH turning IOW footage into Glastonbury or the equivalent!
    Was that for the Valleys of Neptune clip?

DTK likes this.
  25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Heheheh. Yes it was.

All Down The Line likes this.