Jimi Hendrix Experience Electric Ladyland (50th Anniversary Edition) 4-CD Box EH/Sony Nov. 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanakaris, Mar 21, 2018.

1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

2. Yeah, like, do we know for sure that these are dedicated mono mixes. It seems to me (and I'd have to go home to check), that I have vinyl rips of "Crosstown Traffic" and "Gypsy Eyes" in mono, but I don't believe they are dedicated mono mixes. Or, hmmm...they might be the Reprise versions.

Or, check this out...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  3. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

EH are sure putting out a lot of product this year.
    Being a Jimi nut is starting to be as expensive as being a McCartney collector trying to get all the bonus tracks and b sides.
    I wonder if they are going to do the same thing next year?
    Also if the tracks on this record store day release are not also on the ELL boxset that's just not right.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Slightly amended but then sentiment remains, no true mono of the Electric Ladyland exists!

What exists as mono FROM that release remains to be seen, or in my case fully supported!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. Gordon Johnson

Yep, lots of material to spend on. Disappointing marketing again from EH / Sony.

While we have tons to buy virtually all of it remains reissues of well known material.

Take out the Sundazed 45 and its 100% same old. Different formats and platforms is the best we can do, super duper vinyl, while as interesting to me [as anal as I am] remains the same old.

It remains the same old and very tiresome marketing of material to what is clearly now a two tier customer base.

Mr. Explorer, Pouchkine and kees1954 like this.
  6. Gordon Johnson

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I'm guessing its contents will be recycled at some point after Record Store Day. Which seems to be how things go with a lot of these "exclusive" releases - they just get re-released later in a different format :shake:

Spadeygrove and frightwigwam like this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Nothing surprises me about EH's release strategy (or lack thereof).

Mr. Explorer, Chris M and Pouchkine like this.
  9. So, don't knock myself out if I already have needle drops of the Watchtower, Gypsy Eyes and Crosstown Traffic in mono, right?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. Gordon Johnson

Looks a little better with a highlighted touch don't you think?

Let's wait and see ;)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. Gordon Johnson

12. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Wait and see is right. Because sometimes with EH unreleased actually means unreleased, or sometimes it means "we haven't gotten around to releasing it ourselves until now".

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There were folddowns of those two songs in some countries. I hope I’m wrong and these are new “since were doing 5.1...” mono mixes, but my guess these will just be folddowns.

DTK likes this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah. Really uninteresting in both cases but why would a folddown or a new mono mix even merit a dedicated release? Hm.

Chris M likes this.
  15. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Always good to hear things in their native format.

weekendtoy likes this.
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

So... all in all, quite a flood of new things from Janie & Co (though in a rather hap-hazard and messy form):

- Electric Ladyland outtakes (not enough) and alternate mixes
    - Live At The Hollywood Bowl (never before heard soundboard recording)
    - 3 previously unreleased mono mixes (dedicated?) of three Ladyland tracks
    - A previously unreleased song with Ricky Mason
    - A previously unreleased version of "Suey"

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Midnight Lamp is the A side - and whether the original true mono mix or a new mono mix is used, it would certainly merit a dedicated release. Many have never heard the original mono mix and a new mono mix would be...a new mono mix. If the other two are heretofore unknown vintage mono mixes or new mono mixes, that would be icing on the cake.

However what doesn’t make sense is the ad copy states the “EP collects previously unreleased mono mixes of “Crosstown Traffic,” “Burning Of The Midnight Lamp” and “Gypsy Eyes” as featured on the original LP.”

“Previously unreleased...as featured on the original LP” is a contradiction and mono mixes - whether true or folddown, vintage or new - were never featured on the original LP.

Again, my guess is the EP will feature the original (and previously released) mono mix of Midnight Lamp and folddowns (also previously released) of CrossTown Traffic and Gipsy Eyes.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Ummm, the true mono Midnight Lamp is likely the real carrot here.

Your needledrops aren’t true mono. No such animal exists (at present) for those three - and besides what does Watchtower have to do with anything?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Since the EP is being released around the same time as the box set, I think they are trying to clarify that these are not outtakes like the tracks on the 2nd disc of the box. But, the "album version" of the songs presented in mono.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. Gordon Johnson

Because?

But needledrops aside as they really are simply often distorted copies of what's in a records grooves!

We had Classic Singles box set Vol2 which had all three tracks appear in mono, what mono you may ask!

Well if you read the box it's clearly stated that Lamp is from the original Track mix while the other two are from the original Reprise mix.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

get the 7", put it in the vinyl box. everything in one place. nothing to moan about.

Mr. Explorer and Efus like this.
  22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If they’re trying to clarify that - or anything - they did a lousy job of it.

Mr. Explorer and Chris M like this.
  23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No offense, but you sure do go off on some random tangents at times.

Chris M likes this.
  24. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

At a minimum this is incompetent marketing (ie the contradiction you note above) and at a maximum this is deceptive marketing. Unless these are truly never before released mono mixes ("unreleased mono mixes" to quote the press release) it is deceptive marketing. If this release is the BOMTL dedicated mono mix and the foldowns of Crosstown Traffic and Gypsy Eyes that have been released multiple times (ie Original 45s and the Classic Singles Boxset Vol 2) then it is purely deceptive marketing. I am tired of EH thinking if they haven't released something then it has never been released. They only took control of the 35 years after Jimi died and there were plenty of "official releases" before then. I hope I am wrong and these are unreleased mixes and it is just incompetent marketing.

Mr. Explorer and Chris M like this.
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I vote for both. Like a lot of album PR, it’s probably apathetic incompetence that stumbles into deception unintentionally. The people that write this stuff are not necessarily fans. They just write ad copy...nuance is not part of the job description.

When I read ad copy like this, I remind myself “when you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras”. Sometimes its zebras, but it’s almost always the simple, logical explanation.

jhm likes this.