Jimi Hendrix Experience Electric Ladyland (50th Anniversary Edition) 4-CD Box EH/Sony Nov. 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanakaris, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

It's going to take a lot more than an opinion without support to have me believe that the original Traffic and Eyes are fold down mono. So again, who decided that without a doubt that the original Reprise 45's are not true mono?

BTW, I have these all the original 45's from Reprise and Track Records, I don't question the opinion based on listening to a needledrop!

Just asking a question here, a question that know one wants to answer, maybe they can't!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. Gordon Johnson

And I don't see anything that equates to "rare" on this upcoming EP!

simply marketing blub.

3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

4. John Harchar

A slightly more correct definition of EH “previously unreleased”

5. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Paris/Ottawa '68, correct?

I haven't played it in years, but I don't recall any specific issues, other than generally compromised SQ.

What were you referring to?

905 likes this.
  6. Gordon Johnson

As incorrect as the initial statement, usual bull marketing that we have all come to know and love!

Is it EH making the statement?

7. Gordon Johnson

Not for me to answer for jhm of course but I think he was referencing the Dagger disc "The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Live in Ottawa" and not the "Jimi Hendrix Experience. Paris 1967 / San Francisco 1968" disc.

jhm likes this.
  8. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Ah.

I looked it up, and I don't even recognize it. I may have missed it somehow.

So what was the issue with it?

9. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Then again, I don't really "recognize" the Paris/Ottawa '68 cover either. And I KNOW I have that one... :shrug:

10. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Sorry. I missed this the first time.

There was a Paris/Ottawa 1968 release. The Paris show being the one that was in the Stages box, and (I think) 3 tracks were from Ottawa, and from a different set than the full Ottawa release.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

No, that's a release that includes a few songs from the early show that same night. I'm talking about this one:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Live In Ottawa

Minor issue: There is about a second of silence that isn't on the original reel that made it onto the disc that should've been edited out (not a big deal obviously).
    Major issue: The entire discs runs at the wrong speed! I don't recall the exact percentage (it was low, like 1.25% fast) but still, if EH couldn't be bothered to pitch correct it, I coudn't be bothered to buy it! Since that time, a lower gen source running at the correct speed has been circulated out there in "collectorland" as well. I see on Discogs they re-issued it in 2013 (the orginal release was in 2001). I have no idea if they corrected the problems on the re-issue or not. I definitely love that show. It's a prime example of the band being "on" in 1968. I hope we get the same sense with this new Hollywood Bowl release (trying to bring it out to the thread topic at hand :D).

12. John Harchar

Just compared Fire between the first and second sets and...oh yeah! Gonna have to pop the 2nd set in Final Cut and see how it sounds corrected.

jhm likes this.
  13. CD's are currently $40.40 at Import CDs.

14. John Harchar

Amazon down to $42.39 and I'm Prime so it's free shipping. Basically if you end up paying more than $45, you paid too much.

dee likes this.
  15. Gordon Johnson

AS FOLLOWS …………………………………….. :)

Now, if I didn't buy all the physical media that had minor issues I'd be a rich man!

It does bug the hell out of me when they don't take time to get it right the first time. To stay on topic, it infuriates the hell out of me whenever I play the MCA and repackaged Legacy CD of Ladyland with the miss placed tracking point and the unnecessary tracking point!!!

But we should be thankful that EH stuck with their mission statement from 1996 regard getting it right, getting Jimi's legacy right!!

jhm likes this.
  16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I wish I could remember the exact percentage for you! I have the Univibes "Calling Long Distance", which has "Purple Haze" at the right speed. I used that as a basis to determine the right speed "back in the day". The old collector's tape that did the rounds was more like 3.5% off (fast). The EH CD is less so for sure.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. Gordon Johnson

I'll wait till it hits the bargain bins or maybe an xmas sale, online or a real shop.

Mr. Explorer and DTK like this.
  18. John Harchar

No problem, I'll just compare Fire and Purple Haze from the 1st set, adjust them in the 2nd, then fix everything else to that level. It's what I did to fix that horribly slow Young Man Blues on Odds and Sods.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Like how did First Rays get out the door in '97 with the intro to Ezy Ryder lopped off and the "static" crackle at the start of Freedom that was obviously a mastering error?

Mr. Explorer and Gordon Johnson like this.
  20. Gordon Johnson

They did catch the Dagger Fehmarn error early and only issued a couple of hundred of them before correction!

jhm likes this.
  21. Gordon Johnson

They also pulled the Monterey disc [pre sale] on the Legacy label due to the editing error in Purple Haze so we only have it as a fault on vinyl, US vinyl!!!

jhm likes this.
  22. Gordon Johnson

Does the analogue click on Cry Of Love count as an error?

jhm likes this.
  23. dee

dee Senior Member

PERFECT. Cost was $42 and for a surround and hi rez stereo bluray, upgraded sourced soundboard concert and show I haven't heard before, and a disc of outtakes/demos, that equals or exceeds a fair value for me. Don't need it right away so no Prime not an issue for me.
    Pretty decent deal...

24. John Harchar

Just remember it may not stay there, it started around $56 and change off of the $59.99 retail price.

Mr. Explorer and dee like this.
  25. Gordon Johnson

At £49.99 in the UK, that works out at about $67usd

Like I say, I'll wait.