Jimi Hendrix Experience Electric Ladyland (50th Anniversary Edition) 4-CD Box EH/Sony Nov. 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanakaris, Mar 21, 2018.

1. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Nothing announced as of yet.

mcwlod likes this.
  2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Definitely more than a recording engineer. Jimi chose Eddie to help design and manage Electric Lady after all. That said he didn't produce Jimi's music.

DTK likes this.
  3. I suppose I might do the same thing. While I'm not at all all bent out of shape about what the set includes (or doesn't included), I have to confess I'm a little ho-hum about it all. And I generally trust Eddie Kramer, and give him the benefit of the doubt on most of these things (even some things others probably do have some valid complaints about, from their perspectives).

Still, a whole disc of outtakes and demos is not to be ignored -- and even if only about half of it is really up to snuff, that's probably about par for the course (and anyone expecting otherwise just ought to recheck their expectations).

And I supposed I'll eventually get to see the documentary (I still don't own a BlueRay player, and getting one is of no priority to me at all). But someday my circa 2003 DVD player will go belly-up, and I'll have to upgrade then (probably around 2025, at the rate things are going). Something to look forward to.

Glenn Christense and 905 like this.
  4. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

5. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

Once they've been digitized they're no longer necessary for the vault?
    They just continue to deteriorate, more trouble and expense to store them.

More value as a collectible?
    Too bad Paul Allen died, but some other millionaire might bid on them.

6. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

As someone that doesn't care about the 5.1 mix and already has the "making of" documentary on DVD, the 4th disc is keeping me from purchasing this at the moment. I would snatch up a 2cd set of the first 2 disc. With hopes that the Hollywood Bowl is released separately at a later date.

The one tape box with visible writing is interesting. It has " Voodoo Chile" and another song with "Garden" at the end

On May 5, The Experience recorded the Noel Redding song "Walking Through The Garden" and mixes of that song and "Voodoo Chile" were made. The album mix of "VC" was made a month later.

I don't know if EH has copies of these tapes. But, the above info is from the Ultimate Hendrix book.

cublowell likes this.
  7. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

It's very surprising to me that here we have one of the finest albums of the 60's being mastered by well... a master (Thank you, Bernie!), as well as 5.1 mix of an album that will most definitely be more exciting than a White Album 5.1, yet people are posting in that White Album thread like that one's actually going to sound great. EL in 5.1? Oh yeah! Bring it on. It's better than what Giles "high mids/bloated bass/compress it 'til ya hear 'em cuttin' the cheese" Martin is going to do to a fine Beatles album. It's baffling that this thread is being virtually ignored. So it doesn't have a lot of outtakes. Well, Hendrix has been exploited through outtakes for decades. I don't need to hear that stuff. I want to Hear Jimi in good quality, and 1983 surrounding me.

iggyd, shakti, David67 and 8 others like this.
  8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

We don't know if Jimi 5.1 will be any good or not.

Janie or Kramer have no track record for 5.1 from studio recordings. Kramer only hinted that he had "fun" with the mix.

We only know they probably have all the multis

9. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

True, we don't know. But after what Giles did to Sgt Pepper I've lost all interest in the White Album reissue. I am hopeful that Electric Ladyland will be good.

bobcat, tedhead, ssmith3046 and 2 others like this.
  10. dee

dee Senior Member

Is this the 1st official studio quality remix of any EL tracks? Mainly my question is what 'sound quality' do you guys think the 'sonic fidelity' of the recorded music on the multi's will be? I'm hoping for an interesting and excellent sounding downmix, from the remix done for surround, since I don't have a surround setup. Will the result of the surround mix be the 'best' or 'purest' sound or tones from those sessions that's been heard before? Pre-stereo original mix? I'm not as passionate or devoted a fan of EL the songs per se or the album, as most fans are, but the recent EL song by song album thread was very educational and enjoyable reading for me and participating in it gave me greater enjoyment and clearer insight into it. What's the deal with the 5.1 track list - it is or isn't the same as the album sequence? Hoping for a great-sounding default downmix to stereo from the surround option so I'll be able to enjoy EL in a different way. It's not my favorite songwriting by JH, but it's undeniably a classic double album.

No audio samples or previews from the HB concert is making me suspicious of the sound quality of the tracks on disc 3.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    905 likes this.
  11. Lownote30

But we do know what G. Martin's 5.1 mixes sound like more recently.

12. Lownote30

I'm looking forward to hearing the original mix as mastered by Bernie Grundman, and to the 5.1 mix which is the same track listing as the original album.

jhm and dee like this.
  13. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

There is a hires stereo as well on the BRD.

dee likes this.
  14. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

What does that have to do with what an entirely different engineer will be doing with an entirely different album by an entirely different artist?

tonewheeltom and marcb like this.
  15. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Looks/sounds like these might just be (rough) mixes, and not multis or anything super "valuable". My understanding is that tons of Jimi's personal possessions were looted after his death. I would imagine he had tons of these kinds of 1/4" reel-to-reel rough mixes laying around that have ended up with "collectors" over the years.

16. Lownote30

A whole lot of entirely different things that leave me surprised that no one seems to be as excited about this set. This 5.1 mix could be superb. Lots to discuss there. That entirely different engineer has already shown me what he does with 5.1 mixes (yawn), so I am not expecting greatness there. This set is coming out on the same day as that one, and costs about 1/3 of what the other one does. Everyone is over talking about that set, though. The one I'm pretty sure I already know the engineering style of. This one is a mystery. I'm getting both, and I wish this one would arrive first, but the other one will be. Hendrix is worth the wait. Especially this album... remastered by someone who knows what he's doing, and a potentially incredible 5.1 mix.

17. David67

David67 Forum Resident

In addition to the 5.1, we have potentially the best sounding red book to date. Another live Dagger release and the Blue-ray of the making of EL which is a nice bonus as I no longer have the DVD. Oh yeah, and some out takes which I can take or leave as I have enough of those already.

What's not to like?

I acknowledge it's Not ideal for some but no way a mess unlike the Winterland box.

shakti and Lownote30 like this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think quite a bit, mostly, the omission of so much studio outtake material.

I do not think Winterland was a mess. The best version of "Spanish Castle Magic" was omitted, and there were a couple of unnecessary edits to some of Hendrix's solos, but for the most part, it was a solid release.

Lateralus_, DTK, Rooster_Ties and 3 others like this.
  19. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I'm excited for hopefully the best digital version redbook and hi res STEREO. If the show sounds good that's a bonus. IMO those things are worth the $45 they're asking.

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You and me both.

21. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Even though I have the box, Poor editing, rearranged tracks,mixing down of the flute etc hardly constitutes a solid release in my view. Anyway, that has already been discussed at length.

Contrary to what has been said, I don't consider the forthcoming box to be a mess especially if the mastering is on a par with some recent releases. Again, I understand why people are peeved at the lack of out takes but that's certainly not a deal breaker. Obviously, if you are not interested in surround sound and have the DVD already, then of course there's perhaps not much to be excited about. Personally, I can't wait.

bluesbro likes this.
  22. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I'm looking at this box set as affordability (42.39 pre ordered at Walmart .com). Good value compared to other rip off box sets.

23. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I mentioned there’s a hires stereo but don’t see anything about it being a remix. Did I miss that?

24. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Only the 5.1 is a “remix”, the stereo version is the original mix.

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It’s the first 5.1 mix. The 5.1 version is no more of a remix than the stereo version.

duneman likes this.