Jimi Hendrix Experience: Mono or Stereo?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blackfloyd95, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Both have their merits. The first album in stereo can sound pretty gimmicky and artificial once ya hear the mono dialed in right.

2. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

1st album mono
    axis in stereo.

Scope J, vmajewsk, RonBaker and 2 others like this.
  3. zen

zen Senior Member

I've only heard the mono Axis: Bold as Love...and I wasn't that impressed with it. Stereo gets my vote.

4. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

After hearing Prof. Stoned's needledrop of AYE mono, I'm a believer. Mono 100%, all day, for AYE. That thing is blistering.

I just wish Experience Hendrix would issue it on cd, well mastered (maybe use Prof's nd as a guidepost....whistling). It's really just baffling to me that after the success of the Beatles Mono box and the Dylan Mono box that Hendrix in mono can't get released.

For Pete's sake, the guy has more posthumous records that 2Pac. I'm sure many of those are fabulous releases. But...how about those original two in Mono on CD, EH?!

5. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

The recent Acoustic Sounds mailer had an ad stating Analogue Productions hybrid SACDs of AYE & Axis are coming soon, mastered by Bernie Grundman from the original analog master tapes, including mono & stereo mixes!

RonBaker and Jason Manley like this.
  6. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Minority here, I like the mono based on the 'naturality' sounding to me. Did I just make up a word? Well, you may know what I meant.

Ignatius likes this.
  7. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

I finally grabbed a vinyl copy of Axis in stereo during the Black Friday vinyl sale at the big A. Was delighted when upon opening I realized it was one of the new QRP pressings! My first instinct was to wrap it back up and run like the wind (much like Charlie Bucket and his golden ticket)! It's still just $10.19 at Amazon US right now, and sounds amazing!

Aftermath and Crimson Witch like this.
  8. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Haven't heard AYE in mono. Do I have to obtain an original pressing (im sure expensive) to hear it?

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's nothing to write home about. Legend is more exciting than reality. Axis on the other hand is rather unique, but still not as interesting as the stereo.

10. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I'll pass then, If Hendrix wanted me to hear it in stereo, i'll do that.

11. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

All original pressings and reissues sound poor except for the second French pressing. It's a very peculiar situation. But the French pressing isn't really that expensive when it does turn up (genuine ones), either because people don't know or don't care about it. So all is not lost. But you will definitely be wasting money if you seek out a US or UK original. They sound gawdawful.

Aftermath, Man at C&A and Tuck1977 like this.
  12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Jimi wanted you to hear him set the world on fire in 3D sound which means Stereo baby awwwll-right!

EVOLVIST and The Beave like this.
  13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The recent mono US reissue from about 5 years ago sounds quite good. Avoid the UK version.

14. WonkyWilly

Not sure what you mean by this. The US and UK version are both from the same crap-sounding (US) tapes pieced together.

The only way to get a version that has reasonable fidelity is to seek out a 2nd French Barclay. That's just the way it is.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  15. chacha

They don’t sound the same. Have you listened to both?

16. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Sorry I like them both.

17. Stereo. The stereo mixes are all pretty good from '67 IMO. I'll take a good stereo mix over a good mono mix every time. I do prefer the mono Stone Free single over the fake stereo version presented on most comps.

18. WonkyWilly

Are you talking about the reissues? The US and UK tracklistings are from identical tapes. There is no difference.

19. chacha

Yes the reissues. Have you listened to both of them?

20. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

Voted for stereo but the mono Axis is an interesting and fun listen

21. WonkyWilly

Yes, but I think I understand now. The US version has some good-sounding singles spliced in, but the regular LP tracks are identical to the UK version (and sound poor). So with the US version, you get a handful of good sounding tracks and a handful of poor sounding tracks. The UK version is equally hodge-podge because the UK-only tracks had to be culled from god-knows-where, and the whole thing sounds lousy.

22. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Hendrix of course preferred stereo and spoke of mixing in surround before it was even a thing.
    For me Hendrix in mono is like "Fantasia" in black and white.
    Your mileage may vary ...

Aftermath likes this.
  23. chacha

The original UK Track LP sounds awful.
    All the tracks sound better to me on the US version. I’m not a Hendrix freak so haven’t compared in awhile though.

24. Heh. Yeah, true. Stereo for sure.

However, with a swell setup pair of speakers the center image in mono is pretty breathtaking, as well. You don't get some of the great panning effects, but you do get a sense of depth that's pretty amazing with the mono. They did a great job with both: the stereo being top-dog, though...and for good reason!

iggyd likes this.
  25. WonkyWilly

The songs from the UK LP are "different" on the US LP but equally poor IMO, at least when you compare them both to better sources. The US and UK sound like two different passes of copying the same tape improperly. They both have odd tonal shifts but they happen in different places. (Most notably "Red House" on the UK and "Fire" on the US.)

chacha likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.