Jimi Hendrix Miami Pop Festival CD & DVD by Sony due Nov. '13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RiRiIII, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

And you confuse us again sl.

There are two trax, one called VOODOO CHILE and one called VOODOO CHILE (SLIGHT RETURN).

Possibly you are confused from listings on record labels, not the most reliable source, granted.
    The correction was not intended to undermine you but there are some folk who are not fully aware of the facts and your post could be miss leading.

2. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Maybe you're right. I don't know, I give up. The bottom line is that he never played "Voodoo Chile" live in concert to the best of my knowledge, & since we are talking
    about a live recording, it's sort of a moot point isn't it? Honestly, I don't think I confused or mislead anyone, but my apologies if I did.

3. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

He played "Catfish Blues" in concert, which is what "Voodoo Chile" came from.

4. Gordon Johnson

Really, no apology required sl. But when you have two songs so closely titled it should be clear, there are people new to Jimi that can and are confused. Just my take.

5. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Wait a minute, this isn't right. The two song titles are "Voodoo Chile" and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)", not 'Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)'.
    So when someone writes Voodoo Child without the (Slight Return), I know it refers to the album closer. Everyone else you're arguing with assumes that too.

6. Gordon Johnson

We are going slightey off topic and that was not my intention
    Me argue? You bet ya :wiggle:.
    Taking this a little serious tho', we are going off topic a wee bit too much so this is my last post in this thread on the subject, wanna continue [anyone] then lets get a new thread started.
    Electric Ladyland UK Track has Chile for both tracks while the US Reprise gives us Child and Chile.
    But I'll go with Mr Hendrix on this, his HAND WRITTEN lyrics for both DIFFERENT songs both have CHILE even if [from memory] Janie gets it wrong even when it is staring her in the face. That said, I do understand the confusion as I have read, in Jimi's own hand, Child and Chile for the Slight Return track.
    I think I already mentioned the errors found on covers but if I didn't I have now o_O

7. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Thanks, didn't know this.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  8. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

I just bought the CD and think it's great. The performances are dynamic and the sound is mostly clear with an excellent drum sound for much of it. I like both Fires, I Don't Live Today, Tax Free, and Red House - interesting mournful intro to Red House, but it's all great IMO.

I must say though this recording to me sounds like mono, I don't get much if any spatial separation of the vocals and instruments. Any opinions on that? I see in the thread mention that the DVD has a stereo mix for the songs included from this set. I didn't get the DVD yet so I can't compare, but just listening in the car with a decent sound system to the CD, IMO it doesn't have the typical separations I recall from other live releases in recent years. Or could it be for some reason a "tight" stereo picture?

I think the series of CDs from Family Hendrix including this one is just stellar, and the liner notes are great too.

dee and eyeCalypso like this.
  9. The vinyl release sounds brilliant.

10. dee

dee Senior Member

Gee, I find the 2 performances from the afternoon concert pretty great! No other audio exists from that afternoon show?

I agree about Tax Free, Hear My Train, Red House, and I Don't Live Today being an essential part of the appeal of this release and their interesting performances as well and the good sound quality in general makes for a better listen.

Maybe as often as not, to my mind, l think the band doesn't sound real tight, overall, or totally in sync, to my ears, but when they do (Hendrix and Mitchell essentially) it's an even greater joy. I'm glad I'm finally listening to the concert. It's a good release. It has some ambience too, in that as I listen to it, I can almost imagine how exciting it might have been to be there in person.

The blues of Red House and Hear My Train add a lot of nuance to the whole too. At times they are a welcome change of pace from that noisy rock and roll music, lol.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    JeffMo likes this.
  11. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Good points and I noticed also Mitchell and Jimi are not always in synch. Maybe it's partly here that the drums are so good in the mix, you just hear better how Mitch often played. In other shows too, often the two don't quite gel i.e., where you hear the drums well because on a lot of the live recordings you don't. A good example of this (IMO) is how rarely Mitch seemed to duplicate, or exceed, the famous flurries that follow Jimi's riffing in Fire. He rarely (that I can recall) played it well, he seems to elide the lines if that's the right word, I mean get through it as if in a hurry. Sometimes he seems to slow Jimi down in the process! Jimi had a huge regard for Mitch, calling him "my Elvin Jones", so I'm not sure what it really was. The band often played stoned and maybe Mitch couldn't play as well as Jimi in that state. Anyway it's still a great show but it's interesting to listen to the "synch" (Jimi-Mitch) as mentioned because sometimes it's not quite on.

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I love Mitch, but you're right on Gersh. One reason I love Band Of Gypsys with Buddy SO MUCH is that there is a tightness often missing with Mitch.

Kim Olesen and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  13. dee

dee Senior Member

Interesting observations there.

Sometimes I think too what I hear is Buddy played more on the beat and Mitchell more around it? In concert, It seems to me Hendrix is almost always playing some sort of improv approach to every song, mixing in different riffs, holding notes longer, etc. and not easy to keep up with him when he's in the moment! Maybe a drummer does need an extra or more pair of arms, :), from.time to time.

14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'll try and find the quote where Jimi said that Buddy was more of a rock drummer and Mitch was the funkier drummer. I totally agree with the master. Buddy put down a stark rhythm on the odd song (Power Of Soul, Who Knows,...) but on the whole, his style was extremely limited and rigid. Playing live with Jimi, he would just smash on the beat, with no swing whatsoever and just pin Jimi to the floor. He often even played slightly ahead of Jimi which really messed things up, sending the band into a cul-de-sac, until Jimi found a way to pull it all back together.
    A listen to the entire BOG Fillmore tapes (and even many tracks on the disappointing "Live At The Filmore East") reveal that the band just wasn't going to work. It's wild because they had been in the studio rehearsing for months (it only took a couple of days, hours even for Mitch's sophisticated jazz/blues style to perfectly gel with Jimi). Mitch's playing totally embellished Jimi's guitar work, challenging him, feeding him. it was one of rock's best ever partnerships.

Carserguev, BIG ED and old school like this.
  15. Lonson

Purple Jim, I've been listening to Jimi, Mitch and Buddy for forty plus years and. . . well I have my opinions on the matter, and I respect yours, but differ a bit. I like Buddy with Jimi a bit more than you seem to, and Jimi with Mitch a bit less. That's cool. I'm a drummer and that may have something to do with it.

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Found it:

"Buddy is more of a rock drummer. Mitch is more of a classic drummer - more of a funky R'nB-type drummer"
    Jimi Hendrix - interview with Bob Dawbarn, Melody Maker 20/12/1969

old school likes this.
  17. old school

old school Senior Member

I respect your opinion but Mitch is way more inventive drummer then Buddy. Hendrix led and Mitch did a great job playing behind Jimi which is not that easy. On Manic Depression that is classic Mitch, Buddy was never capable of playing in that style.

Carserguev likes this.
  18. Lonson

I get that. But I think the music that Jimi and Buddy made is my very favorite Hendrix music. And that tells me a lot.

We can just beg to differ, but often I didn't feel that Mitch was giving Jimi what he needed, later, and in fact was enabling a sloppiness that didn't help the music as much as it might have. Just my opinion, and I'm not going to trade post after post about it.

19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The disc is a mix of the early and late show audio. The only reason those two tracks specifically state that they are from the afternoon performance is because they are repeat songs. The actual setlists are:

Afternoon show:

Tax Free, Foxey Lady, Fire, Hear My Train 'A Comin' and Purple Haze

Late show:

Hey Joe, Fire, I Don't Live Today, Foxey Lady, Red House, Purple Haze

dee likes this.
  20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Mitch Mitchell played in a busier style like Ginger Baker, Keith Moon or Bill Bruford. Buddy Miles was more of a "fatback" drummer.

dee and old school like this.
  21. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

This has been covered many times before but personally I like BOTH Mitch and Buddy for different reasons. They each brought different things out of Jimi (IMO) and they each sound better on certain songs than the other (again, IMO). For example, I never liked Mitch's drumming on "Stepping Stone" and generally like Buddy's drumming on the "BOG" tracks (however I DO really like Mitch's takes on "Machine Gun" and "Ezy Ryder" - and yes, I realize "Message To Love" and "Machine Gun" were worked on pre-BOG). If nothing else, having Buddy and (especially) Billy around in late '69/early '70 helped push Jimi in some new directions, which was badly needed after the collapse of Gypsy Sun(s) & Rainbows. Mitch was amazing, though, no doubt about that. There's a great quote in either "Sessions" or "Ultimate Hendrix" from Billy Cox saying during one of the '70 sessions Mitch seemed to be a bit behind the two of them (timing wise) and "they didn't think he'd make it", but then he just nailed it just at the right moment. I think Jimi could (almost) always count on Mitch to be rock solid for him when he needed it on the road or in the studio.

old school likes this.
  22. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Mitch always referred to him as "William The Concreter". I thought that was great!

old school likes this.
  23. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Off Topic:
    or... "Gut Bucket".

24. dee

dee Senior Member

Terms of endearment, :), The Musical Adventures of Fatback and Gutbucket!

Jimi Bat likes this.
  25. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

A lot of Miles' work though, especially at the New Year's Eve shows, was too monotonous. On some songs, e.g. Them Changes, he just hammers away 4-4 for too long and you get bored with it. One thing Mitchell wasn't, was boring. But his timing could be erratic at times.

old school and Carserguev like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.