Jimi Hendrix Miami Pop Festival CD & DVD by Sony due Nov. '13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RiRiIII, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old school

old school Senior Member

I was there at the beginning and bought AYE in late 67. I'm also a drummer since I was 12 Buddy is no where near Mitch in terms of talent in my opinion. In another post Jimi was telling Buddy hit the hi hat this way and Buddy was lost. Jimi knew his vision and knew Buddy had to go it's as simple as that. Electric Ladyland is a much better album in my opinion as I stated in the other post.

Lownote30 likes this.
  2. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

This is a little off topic, and neither here nor there, but I've always wondered how Hendrix would have sounded if he had the great Billy Cobham on drums with him. To me Cobham, who recorded with Miles Davis in 1970 and later in the Mahavishnu Orchestra, had what made both Buddy and Mitch special. He can bash the drums loudly, keep rock-solid stopwach-like time, and has an R&B feel ala Buddy Miles, and he plays impossible polyrhythms like a beast at least as fast as Mitch did. Maybe it wouldn't work, but I've always wondered about the pairing of Hendrix and Cobham. Just a though.

PHILLYQ likes this.
  3. old school

old school Senior Member

Cobham is a monster drummer but I don't think it would have worked. Two different musical visions.

4. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Jimi + Mitch = Magic. Mitch was Jimi's musical foil. Together, they created an incomparable energy.

5. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Very Cool. Again, we all have different likes and dislikes and that's what makes life interesting, if we all agreed on the same exact thing then what would the purpose of life be???? LOL!
    I'm not knocking ELL-I just get me rocks off more on Axis and AYE-the energy in those two albums, for me, just rock my world. From ELL onwards, Jimi had fallen into a 'groove', but that initial energy on those early songs, was gone. Not saying that the 'playing' was slipping, not at all, but the Focus of the product after Chas left got very blurred and never really came back. But again, I really do enjoy all that's been release, just listened again today to People/Hell/Angels,,,,,,,for $9, incredible how cool this is in the year 2013.
    Oh, btw, I DETEST politicians.
    The Beave

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't interpret that bit of banter as "Buddy was lost." Buddy didn't want to play just the hi-hat, he wanted to have more going on and that wasn't what Jimi wanted.

I think you're being unduly harsh with Buddy as he was better than you make him out to be. Mitch could be very sloppy and too loose as well in my opinion. That's all they are opinions, but I don't share yours about Buddy.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  7. Lonson

I think that would have worked, or could have. Though I'm not a huge Cobham fan, he had something special in those years.

8. old school

old school Senior Member

I'm not being harsh on Buddy you have your opinion I have mine. I think your making Buddy out to be better then he was. Sure Mitch had a problem with over playing I don't deny that but he was a much more technical drummer then buddy by far simple as that now we both had are say let's put this one to bed!

9. old school

old school Senior Member

Very good my friend. By the way AYE is my favorite by far!

10. The Beave

Distain is not what I intended, not at all. Buddy is a GREAT Groove drummer, as I myself am, but realistically Mitch had such Jazz sensibilities and the ability to bend to so many different song styles, Buddy, like me, could NOT adapt to that landscape of styles. But what he did, he did very well. But in listening to Jimi with Buddy on drums, song after song the fingerprint of his drumming gets a bit boring, whereas Mitch's drumming, being as diverse as it was, was always refreshing. A rare quality in any musician.
    The Beave

John Buchanan likes this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I prefer Buddy over Mitch, but regardless, I still don't think Hendrix had found the perfect drummer for him at the time of his death. I would have liked hearing him play with not only Cobham, but guys like Ginger Baker and Cozy Powell. Mitch was overrated, Buddy was limited. Hendrix could have done better. That said, it is hard to argue with the results from 1967 - 1970; Hendrix's drummers got the job done.

12. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Don't know where I remember this from, but the decision to go with Mitch as the drummer for JHE came down to a coin toss between him and Aynsley Dunbar in 1966.

13. old school

old school Senior Member

I'm sure Buddy could not play Manic Depression if you listen to that song how could you say Mitch is overrated? That is one example of many. On BOG the drumming sounds the same over and over nothing stands out journeyman all the way.

14. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Yeah but Buddy's drumming was better suited to some of the R&B material Jimi was working on with BOG - Power of Soul, Izabella, stepping Stone (does anyone think Mitch's overdubs are better than Billy's original track?), Earth Blues, Ezy Rider. Mitch was too busy and off the beat for that material, and his post Hendrix's death replacement of Billy's tracks were almost always inferior to the originals.

Chris M likes this.
  15. old school

old school Senior Member

The three original Experience albums Buddy could never play that good period. The R&B stuff any competant drummer can play not that technical. By the way who the hell is Billy? Billy Cox played bass not drums. Mitch could do the R&B thing listen to his superior work on Up From The Skies.

16. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Sorry I wrote Billy meaning Buddy. You say any competent drummer could play that R&B stuff but Mitch's overdubs on multiple songs after Hendrix's death show he couldn't!

17. old school

old school Senior Member

What songs? What overdubs? What Album? Give me examples and we will debate?

18. 905

905 Senior Member

Poor Mitch had to drum on those songs after his musical soul brother passed away.

19. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

for funk it has to be buddy for jazz and other adventures it has to be Mitch ! either way we got the best of both worlds.

Wayne Hubbard likes this.
  20. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Don't think it was an actual coin toss, but, if it was, it was a very lucky one.

21. Lonson

I feel that way too. . . I'm sad to read this under-valuing of Buddy's work, he's entitled to his opinion but I think he's off base. But whatever.

fitzysbuna likes this.
  22. Lonson

Wasn't your (non) disdain I was referring to, pardons that you thought I was.

23. The Beave

this is good!
    the Beave

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Didn't Mitchell attempt to overdub drums on Stepping Stone to lesser results?

25. The Beave

I have to, with all respect, disagree here. Using the songs on AYE and Axis and ELL as a template, I don't see Mitch overplaying ANYTHING. What a great Drummer to hook up with Hendrix period! If you want to use 'later years' and all the excesses from drug use and so on then yes, I can concede to that, along with Jimi just overplaying everything (Isle of Wight) just out of pure frustration. But in the initial period of 'The Experience' no. Mitch played the perfect part. No other Drummer could bond musically with Jimi as he did at that time. Nobody.
    The Beave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.