Jimi Hendrix setlists and frustration

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dodoz, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

SG47 and jhm like this.
  2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

As was Jimi's behavior towards Chas during the ELL sessions. Totally Diss'n him as his manager to the point where, as the gentleman he is Chas just walked away, while Jimi let it happen. Well, be careful what you wish for, and Jimi got exactly what he wanted.......no one to say 'no'.
    And the rest is history..........
    Unfortunately........
    Beave

DTK and smoke like this.
  3. Kingsley Fats

Chas Chandler Interview 1984. From Guitar Player Magazine April 1984.

Why did you and Jimi part company after only two years?

When we started work on Electric Lady*land, things had changed somewhat. Here the guy was a big star; he didn't want to listen anymore. I felt that the first two albums had been done relatively quickly. We started working on Electric Ladyland, and he would turn up at the studio with 20 or 30 hangers-on and start playing for them, you know. He was showing off a bit to them, instead of getting on with work. We'd spent about ten days in the studio, recording songs that I thought we'd gotten on the first takes. I just sat there and thought, "This is ridiculous. There are things I want to do, things I want to see." My wife was expecting a baby; I didn't like the crowd Jimi was hanging out with; he was getting into acid a lot. He wasn't listening to a word that was said by the producer, so I just said bye-bye. Because there's a big wide world out there, and I know enough about the business. I'll do it with somebody else.

After you and Hendrix split, did you stay in touch at all?

Yeah. About seven months after we parted, he came 'round the house and asked me to manage him again, but I told him I wouldn't work with Mike Jeffries, so we forgot about it. Then two days before he died, he came to the house in London and asked me to produce him again. This time we agreed to do it. I was going up to the northeast of England to see my family, and he was going to go to New York and bring back all the tapes he'd been working on since I'd split with him. When I got off the train to see my family, my father was waiting for me and told me Jimi was dead.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Thanks for the link. Looks like an interesting book.
    There is also some cool things in there about Huey
    Newton's love of Bob Dylan. I already knew that.
    My wife is Huey's niece. He was an interesting guy.

I do have to question the testimony of the head of the
    Seattle Panther Party. He says Jimi used them for
    security when in Seattle. He also says Jimi burned
    his guitar at the shows in Seattle. Jimi didn't burn
    his guitars at the shows in Seattle.

5. Kingsley Fats

Yes does look like an interesting book from a different perspective. I only read the bit about Jimi & the Black Panthers. I might have to go back & read some more.

Facts especially historical facts are like truth, beliefs & reality. Is reality what happened or what you truthly believed happened.

The head of the Seattle Panther Party i presume was at those gigs. Were you ? Is your reality the truth or is his reality the truth
    I wasn't there.

Oe thing I do know someone on this thread will know the exact truth down to the very last out of tune, no tone, poor SQ note.

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

The second 12/31/69 set is a bit of a disaster with Jimi abrubtly ending 5 songs before completion and apologizing to the audience. The other shows are all solid front to back IMO.

7. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Jimi didn't deliver any completed masters in 1969 because he did not want comply with the settlement. He wasn't going to roll over and give Chalpin a studio album of deeply personal original songs. Jimi was clearly stringing Chalpin along for all of 1969...note Jimi's frequent mentions of having several new albums in the works in interviews.

As brilliant as it is the BOG LP is a middle finger to Chalpin. It featured only 3 new Jimi songs, two songs were sung by someone else and the LP starts with a jam where Jimi breaks a string! No way Jimi puts him breaking a string on an LP if it belonged to him.

8. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

Only ~ 23% of Jimi's gigs were recorded in whole or in part. Be that sound boards or audience tapes. So we can only guess what was played on the other 75+ % of gigs. The JHE frequently played Spanish Castle Magic, less frequently Little Wing. They did Bold as Love the one time in Milwaukee 2/68 (as an instrumental) not because of the difficulty of singing and playing at the same time, Jimi could do that easily, mostly I suspect cuz he would forget the words to it. They tried EXP/Up From the Skies the one time 1/68 and that was about it from Axis. Jimi did a tease of the beginning of You got Me Floatin' at Winterland 10/68 but they didn't play it.

My opinion based on listening to almost 100% of available Hendrix live tapes is that they inserted some less frequently played songs in '67 and into '68 but in '69 pretty much played the same set-list with few variations.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

That gives me an idea. All the the tracks that Jimi picked for his "Band Of Gypsys" album were from the two January 1 shows, so I suggest to Janie & Co. that the best thing to do next would be a BOG "Special Edition" with those two complete shows.
    The weaker second show from 31st December could be left available for download from the official site.
    Can you hear me Mr. Mcdermott?

Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes, it's the only things that makes sense. It would be interesting to hear the unedited album versions of Them Changes and Power of Soul and We Gotta Live Together (don't think Message of Love was edited?), and also there's apparently some tunes from the first show that have never circulated.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Hep Alien likes this.
  11. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

That’d be an interesting idea. It would be nice to finally hear all of Earth Blues from the first show (not sure if there was a song between Stop and EB, most sources say no, but a couple have a song there). What would that do to the status of Capitol’s album? EH would essentially make it superfluous, but it’s not the same since Jimi and Eddie made their changes.

I know Burning Desire from 12/31 2nd came apart quickly, I have to go back and listen, I remember it being the weakest of the 4., but it was still pretty long.

12. John Harchar

What was the official status, did Jimi have to deliver his next album to Capitol? He had to deliver AN album and sooner would’ve been better. Maybe that’s why they did Smash Hits since it really wasn’t a new album but it was new for Reprise. It worked out for them since it was his biggest selling album for a long time (it was my first in 1988)

13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Subconsciously, Hendrix was likely sabotaging himself and the recording process. Still, I am not convinced that his inability to complete master recordings was entirely calculated (there were a number of personal and creative issues to consider). When Hendrix entered into the settlement, technically “Electric Ladyland” could have gone to PPX/Capitol, but Capitol agreed to let Reprise issue EL and take delivery of the subsequent album (clearly not realizing what was to follow). I don’t suspect Hendrix would have sabotaged EL had Capitol and Reprise agreed that EL would be delivered to Capitol, just to stick it to Chalpin.

I completely agree.

DTK likes this.
  14. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Hello PJ.
    My understanding is that the songs that are on the Capitol bog LP are exclusively Capitols legally, and EH can't touch them for any kind of EH release. That's why the Filmore release is the way it is, no songs from the Capitol album.
    Beave

Vintage1976 likes this.
  15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Doh! I think you are correct Beave. Any special edition would have to be a joint project.

16. John Harchar

A longer version of We Got To Live Together appeared on the Fillmore album, so that’s why there may be a distinction between the exact versions from the BOG album and other mixes of the same material (Who Knows and Machine Gun did appear on an EH release, albeit on video and remixed by Eddie). Something tells me the territory may be a little murky...again

Hep Alien and Purple Jim like this.
  17. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

The Atlanta Pop Festival performance, IMO, was stunning, at least visually. It really displays the magic of Jimi's hands on film exceptionally well. I can't remember the audio quality, though...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Wayne Hubbard

I was going to mention the extended "We Got To Live
    Together".

Machine Gun was on the soundtrack to "A Film About
    Jimi Hendrix" (1973) released on Reprise. I was curious,
    so I pulled out the LP. No reference to Capitol anywhere
    on the cover.

It was also on "The Essential Jimi Hendrix, Vol. 2." (LP - 1979,
    CD - 1989). Both the LP and CD say it's from the BOG album.
    No reference to Capitol. Wild Thing from Monterey is
    credited as "Courtesy of the Monterey Pop Festival".

Finally, it was on "Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix
    Collection" (2001). I don't have that release. Anyone
    here that has it. Is Capitol given a credit?

19. Cope_Freeland

Cope_Freeland Forum Resident

No. The Kurt Loder essay mentions that the Band Of Gypsys album came out on Capitol but the neither the individual song credits nor the compilation credits mention Capitol.

Matthew Tate and Wayne Hubbard like this.
  20. Wayne Hubbard

Interesting.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Forklifter

Forklifter Forum Resident

Dead folks sure do leave a lot of questions behind.

Terrapin Station and mando_dan like this.
  22. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I think Up From the Skies was played a few times in early 68 but just didn't make it onto any of the circulating tapes.

23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The version on the “Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection” collection is from the “Live at Fillmore East” compilation, not the original “BoG” album.

24. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I'm not sure I can get behind the idea that BoG was intended as sabotage. Hendrix had three albums to his credit in a business that was still not expected to bring lasting success. He wasn't going to release something subpar just to get even with someone.

25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Not sabotage, just that it compromised, wasn't up to Jimi's own standards, which he confirmed. He found a midway; give away something special and yet keep most of his best new material for himself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.