Jimi Hendrix setlists and frustration

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dodoz, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Didn't Jimi know Buddy from the old R'nB days?

Chalpin wasn't happy with the BOG album because he was expecting a Jimi Hendrix Experience album, so he came right back to ask for more.

DTK and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

There's a mention in that book of an occasion where Noel was miffed because the dressing room had been taken over by BP militants who were drilling Jimi. Noel apparently made an excuse to call Jimi outside, who thanked him very much for getting him away from those guys. I think that reveals that Jimi certainly wasn't 100% committed to being an activist but at least he did make some gestures towards the movement in his songwriting and the occasional stage banter. Also, when he brought in Billy and Juma for Woodstock, then Buddy for BOG, it was a way to bring in old friends, "brothers", and perhaps in the back of his mind a way to appease pressure from the BPs (and a way to stick a finger up to the over-controlling Jeffrey).

Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  3. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

In Steve Roby's book "Becoming Jimi Hendrix", Buddy
    says they met in Montreal in 1964 when Jimi was
    with the Isleys.

4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i actually was able to pick up the 3 newest live hendrix releases, well i think the 3 newest, for $15 total. awesome

Hep Alien, johnny q and jhm like this.
  5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Where? Deep Discount?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The "brothers" were rr0p000p0
    The "brothers" weren't supporting Jimi; they were trying to guilt him into giving them dough like anyone else.

Plexiclone, DrBeatle and johnny q like this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

He complained because, 1) it was not an “Experience” album, and 2) he alleged the settlement also called for him to “produce” the album. Nevertheless, Capitol accepted and released the album, thereby validating Hendrix’s fulfillment of the settlement terms.

DTK, DrBeatle and Pete Puma like this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

ebay. machine gun, atlanta and miami is what i picked up

dee, Hep Alien and JeffMo like this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

...and yet the unsatisfied Chalpin promptly set about suing Track and Polydor! High Court proceedings were scheduled to begin in September 1970. In her book, Sharon Lawrence said that Chalpin had a history and talent for scaremongering - pushing for settlement deals before the case would actually come under the scrutiny of a judge.

Dodoz likes this.
  10. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

While they were waiting for Jimi's passport to come from Seattle before going to England (9/23/66). That was the one contract Chas Chandler missed when he went around NYC buying up all the contracts Hendrix had signed There were a few. I've read he could have got it from Chalpin for $450.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, a mystery why Jimi didn't mention that contract to Chas.

12. PacificOceanBlue

Probably as simple as Hendrix forgetting about. He had signed a number of those standard recording deals and remembered what he could.

13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Dunno, his dealings with Knight and Chalpin were more current, on-going. In the summer of 1966, Linda Keith discovered Hendrix at The Cheetah Club playing with Curtis Knight and the single "Hornets Nest"/"Knock Yourself Out" came out in August/September 1966 (but perhaps Jimi didn't know that at the time). Maybe Jimi feared approaching Chalpin (knowing what the guy was like), scared that he'd refuse to give up the contract, especially when a member of a top UK pop group came in asking take Jimi off his hands.

DTK, DrBeatle and jhm like this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

It is possible, but Hendrix was not going to be dealing with anyone. Chandler and Jeffery were handling any and all contractual buyouts. Chalpin would have had no intuition that within a year, Hendrix was going be an international sensation. Had he been offered $500 or even $1000 for a contract of a sideman guitarist, he likely would have taken it without a second thought. And just because Chandler was in a relatively successful band does not mean there would have been a thought that Hendrix was going to be a star because Chandler was interested in his contract -- for all anyone knew, Chandler simply wanted Hendrix to play some sessions and needed a clean release.

DrBeatle likes this.
  15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Hey, imagine a meeting with Chalpin and Jeffrey. Now that would be something!

Jimi Bat and Cope_Freeland like this.
  16. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

I mis-spoke in my previous post. They were waiting for Hendrix's birth certificate to come from Seattle so he could get a passport in NYC.

17. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Chalpin (and Curtis Knight for that matter) were such...hustlers, i guess - with every nasty aspect of the word (and of course, we all "love" Jeffery, don't we? :thumbsdow).
    Not only they started to milk the very limited 65 and 67 sessions when Jimi was alive, confusing the buying public as Jimi was becoming popular in his own right, they also made up the stupid "My Best Friend (Ballad of Jimi)" story.

Inventing a BS story about a premonition Jimi supposedly had about his own death (when the vocal track was recorded after his death, not before as they pretended it was - there's an earlier version with different words and the same backing track) to package a sensationalist little story to try and sell records, yeah, this is what "best friends" do. You don't need enemies with friends like these.

DTK likes this.
  18. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I have to assume Jimi wasn't about to mess up his chances to go to Europe. Is there a better situation to illustrate asking for forgiveness later instead of permission?

19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I was 14 when I saw that 1970 Sacramento show. I walked away virtually deaf and thinking I had seen god.

bpmd1962, Smokin Chains and DTK like this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

When I wrote that, I hadn't read Sharon Lawrence's book, where it says that Jimi mentioned the contracts that he had signed with Sue Records and PPX.
    "Not legal" Jeffrey told him. "You had no representation of your own. Don't worry. I'll handle it".

21. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Just like Mike handled the RAH tapes Eddie used for In the West...and Eddie got sued!

"Yeah Mike, you sure handled it!"

Purple Jim likes this.
  22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

With recent research on Jimi's early days in New York it's become clear he lived in a milieu where pumping, whoring, drug trade and hustling was normal. Several of his friends and girlfriends were hustlers, pushers or pimps. Curtis Knight was a pimp. No judgement. After all, there weren't that many ways for aspiring black musicians to make a living. He virtually lived off girlfriends, some prostitutes, some not.
    What's beyond remarkable is he survived that and came up with Are You Experienced shortly after he left.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Jimi had no problem getting gigs as a guitarist. It was sticking to that menial life(staying int he background/taking orders/getting int he tour bus in the morning) that got him in trouble

24. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

I think I may have asked this a long time ago, but what's the reason the RAH show has never been released legit - is it a "no useable tapes" thing?

25. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Legal issues, tapes are just fine and waiting for it to get sorted out...50 years later...

Hep Alien and jhm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.