Jimi Hendrix Smash Hits -- New Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dolstein, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member Thread Starter

I was just wondering whether anyone can confirm whether this LP was mastered from analog tapes or from a digital master. I believe that all the other Experience Hendrix vinyl releases were mastered from digital sources, whereas the Classic Records Band of Gypsy reissue was mastered from the original analog tapes.

Any thoughts generally on the Hendrix LPs? Is there really any reason to buy an LP that has been mastered from a digital source?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Unless you must have it because you feel like getting all the vinyl editions, please skip this one. It ain't got the juice, sorry to say.

3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

But Sckott it's got a 11" by 11" booklet and the cover of the booklet has the original Smash Hits cover design! Hell, one time I almost shelled out $1500 for the alternate sleeve. Hey I bought two copies just for the booklet cover.

4. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Don't forget the rechanneled "Stone Free"! ;)

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Oh, hell..... Then it's a BARGAIN.

But seriously, I didn't know it until I a/b'd them, but I have some UK reissues that put all the heavy MCA's to shame including this one. The box Set was nice, and so was BBC....

To each his own :D

6. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Hendriz catalogue was digitized for vinyl by MCA

I remember reading that the stereo masters are bad out of alignment from track to track, that the only way they could get a decent vinyl copy was to digitize each track then use the digital masters for the vinyl cut. This was from when they released there heavy vinyl and the Hedrix catalog was released on vinyl as well. This may be just a rumour, but if you also read up the Jimi's work, it seems after his death Kramer, the producer took many liberty's with the masters and studio tapes. Often he added things or re mixed things. This may or may not have been the 4 album releases, but definitely all the unreleased stuff was molested at one time or another. Once again, more urban rock legends, I am not sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.