Jimi Hendrix's Career Before he Was Famous

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZakMars

ZakMars New Member

2. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

That's a very well known fact, the track was even included on West Coast Seattle Boy.
    Jimi also did a second recording session with Sharpe in April 1966, but frustratingly the results were never released and the tapes are though to have expired in the big Atlantic warehouse fire in the 70's. If there are any back-up copies they would be worth gold.

3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

This is a weird question, but what clothes was Hendrix buried in? He was very into his clothes, and I wonder who made the choice for his funeral dress.

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I agree, weird question. Probably the weirdest I've ever seen on this board.

5. Chris Schoen

That's why I stated that right away. This is not morbid curiousity, but when that other post showed him "dressed up", for some reason I thought of how many folks don't dress formally much when they are alive, and it's ironic that someone will put "nice clothes" on them, when they have no say about it. Hendrix liked threads, and wore some really cool outfits. I was just wondering, that's all. (I don't think he would have mined the question...)

6. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i attended one of these shows although i can't tell you much on the details. so much younger then...

16 April 1965 with Little Richard
    Paramount Theatre, New York City, New York
    Headliner is comedian Soupy Sales, the line-up also includes the Detergents (featuring future the Archies lead singer Ron Dante), the Hullaballoos, the Exciters, Little Richard and the Royal Company, The Hollies, Sandy Shaw, Vibrations, Dee Dee Warwick, King Curtis, the Uniques and a movie showing. The show was promoted by Morris Levy who had rented the theater for a year and booked Soupy Sales to appear for one week (source: The New York Times 17 April 1965, available in the website archive)

7. Chris Schoen

Soupy Sales!! Yay!! :agree:

8. MikeP5877

I may be in the minority here, but disc 1 of West Coast Seattle Boy is my favorite part of that set, and one of my favorite Jimi CD's ever. Heck, it's one of my favorite R&B discs ever.

dino77 likes this.
  9. MikeP5877

WOW, what a lineup that was. A lot o'SOUL (and some not so soulful)

10. davmar77

yes, he was actually the mc doing his murray the k thing. my brother still has the program for the show.

11. MikeP5877

Continuing the thread drift... here is more info on that Paramount show. I'd love for a copy of that to show up sometime.

Btw, it says Little Richard walked off because he didn't want have to cut his set down. I wonder if he played at all that day.

http://xpn.org/blogs/885mmmm/2007/08/20/soupy-sales-reopens-new-york’s-paramount-theatre/

12. Chris Schoen

Did he "do the Mouse" or the "Soupy Shuffle?" (the brothers and sisters must have had a good laugh watchin' that...)

13. davmar77

from that early hendrix site-

17 April 1965 with Little Richard?
    Paramount Theatre, New York City, New York
    Little Richard was reportedly thrown off the bill after a few days but exactly how many shows he did perform is not known.

14. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Anyone have any information regarding Abtone Recording Studios, where Jimi was involved in recording sessions in mid 1966 under the direction of Lonnie Youngblood and producer Johnny Brantley?

All known facts seems to be:
    -it was at least for a time located on Broadway 1733
    -it was operational between 1964 and 1969
    -it may have been run by an engineer called Abe Steinberg.
    -there exists several Abtone acetates by obscure soul/pop groups

15. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

AHRG. YT has just closed that account so i can't watch it :-(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.