Jimi Hendrix’s Last Gig – The Inside Story

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spotlightkid, Sep 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

i fondly imagine that had jimi not passed away,and indeed trod new ground,he would have teamed up with bill laswell for some truly cosmic sound slabs.

Olompali likes this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Jimi would have been asked to do the lead guitar for the Maggot Brain title track!!!!!

Bull Moose likes this.
  3. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Yeah!

4. Figbert

Figbert Forum Resident

Another possibility might have been something similar to what Jeff Beck did with Blow by Blow -- can you imagine a spacier, totally Hendrixian move into that kind of guitar-based jazz-rock, a few years before Beck got there?

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I don't disagree. Hendrix was clearly intrigued with collaborating with jazz artists. His jam with Larry Young shows he also wasn't quite sure where he wanted to go with it. Had he connected with the right producer, he easily could have produced a substantive jazz-fusion-rock album. I do wonder if he ever would have truly committed himself to such a project; at least during the 1971-1973 period. Would he have gotten side-tracked with other projects? If 1969 and 1970 shows us anything, it was that Hendrix was having difficulty with focus and finishing projects.

6. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

He would have created a whole other Genre, where Hendrix was heading musically was totally uncharted territory, a big, big loss !!

7. PacificOceanBlue

I do think Hendrix was arguably the biggest loss in rock and roll history, but I am not convinced he would have created an entirely new genre.

dino77 likes this.
  8. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Blow was awesome, but Santana was already headed in that direction a few years before, see Caravanserai. Dunno if Jimi would have gone totally jazz/fusion but it was definitely a big element in his playing/jamming towards the end of his career. Also probably more of a return to his R&B roots like he did with BOG.

9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Agreed - thanks for posting that.

10. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

I can certainly see that, but then again consider Buddy Holly, who was enormously influential on the music of the 1960's. It's pretty haunting to think of the "might-have-beens" for either of them.

11. PacificOceanBlue

Agreed. Those two have to be on the top of the list.

12. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

AND he would've brought world peace. No doubt about that.

Fox67 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.