Jimi Hendrix's 'The Cry of Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge' Treated to Reissues (pt2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree that we don't really know what we are getting. I also noticed that stores like music direct aren't using all analog in their description anymore. Any way here ya go..http://www.sonicscoop.com/2009/06/1...ling’s-new-all-analog-vinyl-mastering-part-i/

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  2. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

The process can be affordable, however. “If you come in with a sequenced tape, it really wouldn’t be much different than coming with a digital file,” notes Marino. “People can even do their mixing to digital in order to select their mixes, and then re-run the mix, and just print the ones they’ve decided on, to tape.” -

the question now is, would this be classed as All Analogue?
    not in my book but be interested to hear others opinion on this.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Gordon, I don't agree with again..Any facility that offers all-analog vinyl mastering has a tape machine that’s been modified to add a preview head. At Sterling, Wolifson worked with ATR’s Mike Spitz to design such a modification for the ATR-102 machine. “People love this particular ATR machine,” says Wolifson. “And, with the modification, this is the only one of its kind.”

4. Gordon Johnson

Is all analogue mastering the same as all analogue?

Another way to ask this:
    If we have a recording that either was recorded in digital or a recording that was done in analogue then the latter recording transfer'd to the digital domain [regardless of Bit rate etc] for edits and either of them put to tape for analogue mastering, can they be called all analogue?

This is one reason why we don't get "All Analogue" on pressings.

Both COL and RB are analogue mastered but Kramer has used pro tools on both of these releases at some stage, or am I incorrect? Neither claim all analogue but both are analogue mastered by BG.
    This clearly is not such a negative as it once was it seems. Both of these pressings are fine records as is say the Berkeley recut from BG.

For me, All Analogue is a record that was cut from the original master tapes without digital preview.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don't know about RB or COL. I am referring to AYE ELL and Axis. I know that Grundman can cut all analog, he did it for Classic Records.

So, did Kramer dump COL into protools and then put it back on an analog tape? I don't know, I'm just asking. The description said:
    Remastered from the Original Analog Master Tapes by Bernie Grundman and Pressed at QRP: The Cry of Love Has Never Sounded Better.

6. Gordon Johnson

The question I'm asking is regard what we term ALL ANALOGUE. I'm looking to apply this across the board with every Hendrix release. We have established that aye / axis/ ell are all analogue. But this makes a small dent in what has been released by EH down the years. 17 years of releasing vinyl btw. [for which I thank them].
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...gue-or-otherwise-a-list.407331/#post-11709130
    No Kramer did not DUMP anything into pro tools. I'm looking for opinion as to if he TRANSFERED into digital and used pro tools for some work and then TRANSFERED back to tape for the vinyl issues of COL /RB. I already have formed my opinion on this but it would be interesting to hear what others think. The COL/ RB [and we have to keep including these as that's the OP], clearly did go to digital for the CD releases. Do we honestly think the vinyl were treated differently? Play your albums and tell me what you think, I'd say its clear.

7. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Without a doubt--remixed. Most obvious examples--congas on Ezy Ryder and guitar figure on tag out of Night Bird Flying. Too many instances to name--even backing vocals on Freedom have been brought to more of a prominent place in the mix.

Bernie did a wonderful job on this. I love it.

Jam757 likes this.
  8. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

You're the first one to claim this, interesting.

9. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Haven´t noticed any difference...
    ...except for the extended ending of Room Full Of Mirrors on Rainbow Bridge.

10. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Same here. It might be that a remaster makes some listeners listen more closely to an album, noticing things that were always there for the first time.

11. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I like my original Track Records Cry Of Love.

12. Gordon Johnson

Correct, no remix, the difference here is most likely down to the fresh transfer :)

So do I [my copy that is, lol] but its not a patch on this new pressing

dino77 likes this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Dumping into ProTools is the same as transferring into ProTools. Just another word for transfer, that's all.

If Kramer "transferred" the multi-tracks into ProTools then this new reissue would be considered a remix. I don't know why Kramer would transfer stereo master tapes into ProTools. It is possible that the tapes were transferred to a digital file for convenience and also the bastardization of the analog chain.

14. Gordon Johnson

dumping or transferring? minor issue but i know which one is more accurate in its meaning!

you don't know?

either way, do you or not agree that once analogue has been transferred into the digital domain it can no longer be taken as all analogue regardless of format/mastering?

15. Gordon Johnson

oh, and no the music has not been remixed

Lownote30 likes this.
  16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree.

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You're picking nits here.:p

18. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Unfortunately this is definitely a much later re-pressing - Strawberry was an outside recording studio often used by Warner in later years but Strawberry didn't even open its mastering studio until 1978 so it can't have been pressed until after that date (and Rainbow Bridge came out in 1969). I'm pretty sure it's only the first UK pressing that I described that has the lovely deep bass.

Jimi Bat likes this.
  19. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Rainbow Bridge was issued in 1971, after Jimi's death.

dino77, Gordon Johnson and Purple Jim like this.
  20. Gordon Johnson

When you have listened to the first and later pressings I'd like to hear back about that Bass, thanks.

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Same mix, just runs a tad longer...always faded earlier on previous cd's and lp's.

22. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Sorry, silly me. I don't know why I said that - maybe because some of the tracks were recorded in '69.

23. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Actually, I believe the original LP had the extended ending, no?

24. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

It definitely did not. The extended ending is definitely a "treat" for Jimi fans on the new release as it'd never been heard (at least by the general public) before.

John Buchanan and crozcat like this.
  25. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Looks like these are on Amazon right now for $16.99 and $17.99 respectively. I usually do my shopping at SSD or Music Direct but this looks like a good price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.