Jimi Hendrix's 'The Cry of Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge' Treated to Reissues (pt2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Interesting. I did not know that, thanks.

2. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

So on the all analog front regarding Hendrix, would we also add the following: Miami Pop Festival, Live at Monterey, Blues and Live at Berkeley.

It appears that AYE, ABAL, ELL, COL and RB are all analog. I'm just trying to get my notes straight.

3. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

why, how do you conclude to COL and RB being AA?
    Miami, Blues, which Monterey and Berkeley. again how do you conclude to this?

4. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Well, they are advertised as such and although I'm not naive to deceptive advertising (It's my major), you have to trust something. So if it says "All analog mastering cut by Bernie Grundman" then that is what it is. Why do you have different sources? I'm just trying to gather the correct info FYI.

Here is the link: http://www.elusivedisc.com/

Certain Hedrix promos read all analog and other don't. The ones that don't I would likewise trust they are digital, which is fine.

The funny thing is there is quite a few all analog mastered lps released every year by modern artists that aren't even advertised as such but yes they are completely all analog. You just have to dig deep to find the information.

5. GreatKingRat

GreatKingRat Well-Known Member

Surely those releases were mixed from a digital multitrack transfer.

Recorded, mixed and mastered analogue? No major albums that's for sure, and would be someone going well out of their way to do that.

And just because an an album master exists on an analogue format, doesn't mean that is all analogue. I think that's often what some people think.

6. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Yes, recorded, mixed and mastered analogue. Depends what you mean by majors. I'm sure artists like Katy Perry won't bother. Most are on indie labels.

As far as majors, D'Angelo's new lp almost did it but for some reason they cut from high res after already recording and mixing all analogue. I'm still getting the album regardless.

Are you talking about just because it's on vinyl means it's analogue? I wouldn't assume that ever, that would be silly.

7. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

A comprehensive list was attempted at least in this thread for new releases for 2014.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/2014-aaa-vinyl.339163/page-16

8. Gordon Johnson

you answer your own question here .............."All analog mastering cut by Bernie Grundman"

all analogue mastering does not equate to all analogue.

FYI. Miami has digital in the chain, both US and EU Monterey have digital in the chain, COL and RB along with Berkeley probably have digital in the chain.

"So if it says "All analog mastering cut by Bernie Grundman" then that is what it is." i don't see All Analogue so thats exactly what it isn't!

9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

So you are saying "All analog mastering cut by Bernie Grundman" means digital?

I understand something can be mastered in analog and cut from digital but this doesn't mean it is the case here.

And if any album says"Mastered from the Original Master Tapes" does that mean it is not all analog as well? I know this one could mean either or and it's a slippery slope. This is the presentation on a lot of all analog lps, including Neil Young which use this exact language and has been concluded to be all analog.

Also, the one's that have digital in the process using don't say "All Analog Mastering".

Most artists and labels don't go to BGM to claim all analog mastering for vinyl and just have it cut digital but that doesn't mean it has never happened. If they are going digital, they typically don't advertise "All Analog". Of course, BGM mastering cut a lot from digital but they are one of the biggest "All Analog Mastering" houses in the world. People go there for different and specific reasons.

If the vinyl consumer cannot trust this type of labeling, then they can't trust anything. I'm not saying you are wrong but you seem to be absolute about being right. Do yo have a source? If so, that's fine you might be right. It's not my fight to lose.

All of this could be deceptive marketing but my experience are the one's that claim AAA produce the results. I do think they mucked up the promo intentionally or unintentionally for VON by saying it was all analog and it wasn't. This is the only one I can recall but they also state digital in the same promo. I'm guessing the digital step was necessary. They are the pros, not me. They did a good job regardless.

Here goes one example for you, Berkley says this clearly Mastered by George Marino & Cut by Bernie Grundman From Analog Masters!

10. Gordon Johnson

"It's not my fight to lose".
    What fight? I care less who or what you believe to be honest but your trust may be miss placed as may be your thinking.

Firstly, I'm only discussing Hendrix releases so leave all other artists out of your replies, thanks.

"Also, the one's that have digital in the process using don't say "All Analog Mastering". You know that, really? I know that's not true, take a listen to the Monterey US and EU pressings. Both of these recordings HAVE been in the digital domain at some stage. You need to listen closely but the clues are there. FWIW and just MHO, both are the best I ever heard these recordings sound and the go to for me is the EU. The US sounds "better" to me but that bloody faulty edit is so annoying! One example for you.

"Here goes one example for you, Berkley says this clearly Mastered by George Marino & Cut by Bernie Grundman From Analog Masters!"
    Really? Mine does NOT say this either on the sticker or in the booklet. BERKELEY, is mastered by Grundman and there IS NO mention of Marino, what pressing are you talking about, year will do.

"So you are saying "All analog mastering cut by Bernie Grundman" means digital?" Have not got a clue as to what you suggest here, sorry. I'm certainly not saying this and kindly don't suggest I am.

I fail to see ALL ANALOGUE on Miami, Berkeley reissue, Monterey reissues. simply analogue mastering. This does not equate to all analogue. Has the recording ever been in the digital domain at ANY STAGE before it was treated to analogue mastering? take a listen to these recordings.

Why do you think these albums do not say ALL ANALOGUE? If they were unadulterated analogue do you not think this would be clearly stated? It was on AYE / AXIS/ ELL from 2010 [ as we have already clearly established :)]

If you feel anything should be added here ........................ http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...gue-or-otherwise-a-list.407331/#post-11709130

please do.

mikemoon likes this.
  11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

If no one can apparently sonically clearly tell the difference... who cares?

Do you like how it sounds? This is where 'audiophile' starts being silly, IMHO.

Much like only being able to afford the TOP end gear at a point in one's life where one's hearing has deteriorated past the point of making it worth while. Life is full of cruel twists of fate that obsessive compulsions take advantage of...

mikemoon and Gordon Johnson like this.
  12. Gordon Johnson

I can hear a number of differences between recordings, you can't?

I only do this for JP, otherwise I play my Hendrix for pleasure. Tho' if someone wants to debate it that's cool. I dislike miss marketing and miss information on any release and will attempt to correct this when / if possible. That said, this is not incorrectly marketed as I don't see ALL ANALOGUE.

I wouldn't want to buy TOP gear, happy with what I have. That said, any help in hearing at my age is a bonus :)

13. Gordon Johnson

Mike, here's a thread to read .....................

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/jimi-hendrix-berkeley-all-analogue-2012.296842/

You see how easy it is to conclude? Then I changed my mind on this pressing being ALL ANALOGUE.
    regardless, THIS IS THE BEST RECORDING I HAVE FROM EH MASTERED BY GRUNDMAN.
    COL/ RB/ MONTEREY [US and EU*] aren't too shabby either. None IMHO are ALL ANALOGUE
    *Does not have BG in the dead wax!

14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Absolutely. And often its clear that the all analogue pressing trumps a digital pressing. But if we find ourselves in an instance where it isn't clear what we are listening to... let's just be thankful that whatever it is the mastering is so good we can't tell the difference. :)

That being said... I'm all for truth in advertising. So I do get that side of the debate.

mikemoon likes this.
  15. Thomas Brophy

Thomas Brophy Forum Resident

16. Gordon Johnson

Off hand, Monterey was but then again the content if nothing else was different.
    but yes, i'm sure we do have other releases in two vinyl weights. the difference appears to be US and EU!

17. Thomas Brophy

Thomas Brophy Forum Resident

Mystery solved!!

18. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

You're obviously the Hendrix expert, not me. I'm not being a smart a$$ either. You have done some leg work, I"m here to learn but I still have questions.

You may be onto something. If you notice, I never said you wrong, I just wanted to know your source. Well, you mention some examples of it now.

It's seems you've done some investigating and want to spread the truth or at least dispel the misconceptions. I'm down that.

I hate deceptive marketing. I'm a bit of a health nut and I read my ingredients to know what I'm putting in my body. I guess I try to get the full truth in audio as well. FYI, I'm fine with digital in the chain, they just need to state it clearly some with AAA.

When I made this statement: "Also, the one's that have digital in the process using don't say "All Analog Mastering". I'm going by the promos on Elusive Disc, I didn't create this out of thin air. So, I'm going by what is encoded on the world wide web...I don't know anything...few of us really do but as stated, I'm here to learn.

This statement: "Cut by Bernie Grundman From Analog Masters!" Is widely advertised online. I rarely trust booklets, many times they are just the cd credits. The George Marino part is odd. But it still says "Cut from AM". They are saying the same thing about Blues...is it digital as well?

When I read the online promotions, I don't see much difference in how AYE, ABAL & ELL and COL and RB are written. I guess they use the word "cut" in a different sentence or implication. Confusing press releases by a record label...that's new.

I appreciate your feedback and please address some of these other places I'm confused. I'm certainly not here to argue.

19. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I've had to do a lot of research to conclude that some modern titles are all analog. I either have to source an interview with the artist or email them directly many times to find out it was cut completely analog.

So I appreciate your invesigation.

20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

My RL pressings don't :)

Me thinks that all cd's and vinyl had the song faded early during the mastering stage.

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I just listened to the new vinyl of Rainbow Bridge. The label on the cover stated all analog. The sound was glorious all analog. The best I've ever heard this title.

Jam757 likes this.
  22. Gordon Johnson

NO, I believe* it says ANALOGUE MASTERING and not ALL ANALOGUE!

big, big, big difference

*believe? no i just checked!

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don't know what you just checked, but this picture clearly shows that you are a fountain of misinformation.:rolleyes::p I guess you would actually have to own the record to see this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  24. Gordon Johnson

Yep says the same on BOTH my copies, US and EU. Just a different weight specified.
    Analogue mastered. Though nice to hear you seem to like it as much as I do

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It says All Analogue Mastering.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.