Jimi Hendrix's 'The Cry of Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge' Treated to Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crazyhorse11, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser Thread Starter

Looks like we can expect these in September. I'll likely snap these up, though I know they are still fairly easy to find still, remasters are definitely welcome.

"These have been remastered from the original analog masters will be released digitally, as well as on CD and vinyl. This is the first-ever official CD pressing for Rainbow Bridge; The Cry of Love hasn't been pressed on CD since 1992."

http://exclaim.ca/News/jimi_hendrixs_cry_of_love_rainbow_bridge_treated_to_reissued

2. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Outstanding news! I've been in need of a vinyl replacement for Rainbow Bridge for years. "Here My Train a'Comin'" is perhaps the greatest electric guitar performance ever and "Pali Gap" isn't far behind.

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I'm not a Hendrix expert, I thought he played an acoustic version of "Here My Train a Comin" on the film RB?

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The acoustic one is in A Film About Jimi Hendrix, not Rainbow Bridge.

Beatle Terr likes this.
  6. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

That's an amazing performance...... 'Hey, Stop that thing ok?'
    They've never found the audio master to that take with the 12 string right? It's incredible that what was obviously a studio recording would dissapear. How does it sound on the WB record/LP soundtrack? Is it proper quality on that issue? And if so, where are the master tapes for that double lp??
    If I keep asking questions I might have to shoot myself......
    It is a great performance, love the clothes and hat, One Classy Guy that Hendrix was!!
    the beave

7. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Got an email from EH about these releases today. No mention of any bonus tracks.

8. vinyldreams

9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I will certainly purchase these. However, not sure if there is a compelling reason for me to buy the vinyl as I have RL originals of both...however, new and clean copies are always welcome in my home :)

10. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Though I know all of these tracks,I've never heard either of these albums in their original version. I think "bonus tracks" would miss the point...

JNagarya and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Someone posted a track listing that I saw and I don't remember where it was but these are straight reissues with no bonus tracks.

12. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

RLs here too and mine are clean so altho always tempted I don't know yet why I would buy these.

johnny q likes this.
  13. vinyldreams

What point is that? All these tracks have already been previously reissued by EH on various other releases. The only new things we are getting is possibly better mastering and original artwork.

supernaut likes this.
  14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I agree with you. These releases will now be competing with the Experience Hendrix compilations of the same material. These are short so they might have been able to make them 2 lps on 1 cd with War Heroes and Loose Ends if nothing else.

marcfeld69 and supernaut like this.
  15. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I guess the main point is that EH needs new "product" to push, and until the rights are secured to Royal Albert and other potential releases, this will do. Also, there are many people who owned these two original albums and are used to hearing the songs in the original order. Wasn't that the main selling point of releasing The Beatles' U.S. Capitol Records albums? And how much studio stuff is in the vault in releasable quality? I would imagine any "bonus tracks" would just be rehashing First Rays... and South Saturn Delta.

Ben Adams and supernaut like this.
  16. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Thanks, is there any Hendrix acoustic available?

17. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Exactly. When People, Hell and Angels came out, it was announced that it would be the final Hendrix studio album since everything deemed commercially-releasable had now been mined by EH. Now, it looks like EH will be recycling old releases in an effort to push new product.

Get ready, folks! Coming soon: Midnight Lightning, Crash Landing and Voodoo Soup!

(Needless to say, I'm in for these)

18. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Isn't "Cry of Love" covered by "New Rising Sun"?

marcfeld69 and supernaut like this.
  19. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, FROTNRS features 17 tracks, 14 of which are among the 18 tracks on COL and RB. So very similar really.

20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

And then when that is exhausted...Blu-rays of the New Rising Sun. Look, let's be serious. The first generation of Hendrix fans is dying or getting deaf, so I expect them to push new product. But also, as Jimi's music survived his passing, I believe it will survive the passing away of his original fans. So in a few years, they'll be marketing to totally different people. EH will continue to prosper.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  21. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Aren't the COL and FROTNRS mixes different? I don't recall...

marcfeld69 likes this.
  22. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I don't think so. I remember reading that they were tempted to tweek the mix to give it a more modern sound, but held off in the name of historical accuracy. And listening to First Rays I'd have to agrees as it preserves the exaggerated stereo panning effects that were popular back then, but sound ridiculous now.

EdwinM likes this.
  23. vinyldreams

Remastered, not remixed.

24. slane

slane Forum Resident

No.

With FROTNRS you get Stepping Stone, Izabella, Beginnings.

With COL / RB you get Pali Gap, Star Spangled Banner, Look Over Yonder, Hear My Train (live).

The other 14 tracks on each are identical (don't know about the mastering yet). Take your pick.

25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Not song selection "mix" the mix of the instruments...I thought the identical tracks on these releases feature unique mixes - I could be wrong.

PS - maybe I have been listening to too many recordings of illegitimate origin! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.