Jimi Hendrix's 'The Cry of Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge' Treated to Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crazyhorse11, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

i would guess a mono foldown for radio play only. IMO, it doesn't have the mono 'punch'.
    Only postED cause i likED that 'Dolly' was, for once, "monogamous"!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  2. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Just where it is, YouTube.
    Bit more:
    http://www.discogs.com/Jimi-Hendrix-Dolly-Dagger/release/538426

3. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Too true! :D
    I agree. Also, the live version of "Freedom" from IoW that they use, is pretty rough going.
    Not to mention it'd necessitate of a more expensive double-LP with the songs spread more thinly across four sides. :realmad:

BIG ED likes this.
  4. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Personal; "RAH little Wing" is me fave Hendrix, so take w/a ton of sea salt:
    'Winterland' vocal isn't as good/smooth [heck/i'm diss-cussing Jimi's voice!] & too much wah-wah [hella heck/i've completely lost it!!] that takes some of the beauty out of the 'Royal Wing', too me.

IMO, the mindblowing 'BIG Wing':

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  5. texquad

texquad Senior Member

I've read here maybe Prof. Stoned? that the Dolly Dagger single was a fold down and not a true mono mix.
    Also on the song Stepping Stone there's never been a proper re-issue of the single mix which was featured on the Warner Bros. compilation Looney Tunes. That's the only place I've heard that version.

6. Yep! Just listened to my pristine 45 needledrop of "Stepping Stone" last night. There's one little blank space that sounds a little too void of guitars on that original mix, so I see why Jimi wanted to dub more guitars. Still, the Bob Hughes mix kills the one with Mitch on drums. Besides all that, it's just a superb mix where everything sits in the pocket well. I don't think the same can be said for its flip-side, "Izabella."

These two new releases really makes me want to hear what Grundman can do with War Heroes. Maybe the guitar tracks on "Izabella," won't sound as scooped.

Dino likes this.
  7. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/hendrix-steppin-stone-two-buddy-miles-mixes.146795/

In the above thread it was established that the mixes found on the "Stepping Stone"/"Izabella" single are not available on CD, the mixes that are on Kiss the Sky and Voodoo Child are (sublty different) alternate mixes for both (The Singles Collection box set also have these same mixes).

The version of "Stepping Stone" found on Looney Tunes / Merry Melodies is neither of these but a third (more distinct) alternate mix.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    crozcat and Dino like this.
  8. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

In my opinion, there has never been a definitive Jimi Hendrix best-of live. Both In the West and Concerts are fine albums with lots of gems, but neither is really as brilliant what can be done. And that kind of compilation couldn't be done until the RAH court case is clear.

Emperor5353 likes this.
  9. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"War Heroes":
    i like the 'swirl swirl' 2 second intro that's not on me WG "WH" of this issue of "SS":

10. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"In The Westish":
    Completely get what your posting [lots of artists will 'always' have incomplete "Greatest Hits"]; so i go w/specific concerts instead.
    [Me fave being "San Diego", which since 1st posting it was, seems like more people go for it now over "LA Forum" which was more of a fave for all B4/"It's All Bout That Tone" (TM)]

11. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I put this out there again..anyone know if the 192 Khz files will be available for download?

Lots of Grundman's hirez files are HDTracks.

12. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"Stepping Stone":
    Too badd all that special-stuff on that release* didn't make in on too "Revolutions In Sound: Warner Bros. Records - The First Fifty Years" [10 CD's]:
    http://50th.warnerbrosrecords.com/wbr50-TRK-CD.html

* http://www.discogs.com/Various-Looney-Tunes-And-Merrie-Melodies/release/1948227

Dino likes this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I suspect the reason why EH put the January 1, 1970 2nd set version of Machine Gun on the Voodoo Child compilation is because Capitol owns the January 1, 1970 1st set version as part of the Band Of Gypsys album. There would have been cross-licensing issues to deal with (which has become much more common in this present era of music retail, not so much nearly 15 years ago), so EH inserted an inferior performance of Machine Gun as some sort of artistic compromise.

Purple Jim and Doctor Flang like this.
  14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

My hats off to those that can keep this catalog in order. I'll never be able to do so. It's been dribbled out and spread across too many releases for over four decades now.

15. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Just got the 2 CDs from Bull Moose.

Listening to Cry Of Love now. Halfway through and the track that
    really sticks out is My Friend. Not in a bad way. Jimi's guitar parts
    sound great and the song sounds totally different than any version
    I have heard before. Straight Ahead just started and again sounds
    fresh.

I'm going to the coast this weekend for a BBQ competition. These
    releases are going get a workout.

Yes. Please EH. Have Grundman master everything from now on
    and go back and clean up some of the mistakes of the past.

BIG ED, Fred68, KipB and 2 others like this.
  16. skybluestoday

skybluestoday Forum Resident

There are a number of gigs that seem less inspired save for Jimi pulling out a deep bedrock, axeman-superman Red House. This seems to be a song he could retreat to safely when nothing else was working out.

The blues are like that.

John Fell likes this.
  17. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

There's always these odd incongruities. My vinyl copy of Band of Gypsys was issued by Experience Hendrix through MCA rather than Capitol. Also, I believe that the version of "We Gotta Live Together" that appears on the EH through MCA issued Live at the Filmore East is the same performance as appears on BOG, except it's unedited and contains more of Buddy Miles' vocal extemporizing. Also, the BOG version of "Machine Gun" appeared on the Reprise issued the Essential Jimi Hendrix Volume 2. Hendrix' discography is a frustrating mess!

18. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

reb and BIG ED like this.
  19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

old school likes this.
  20. old school

old school Senior Member

I don't think Jimi retreated from anything. Sure he had his bad performance now and then. But he could always pull something out that would make you go wow!

skybluestoday likes this.
  21. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

To answer your question, yes Polydor released this legit on CD. The disc says it was manufactured in the U.K. and the copyright says 1988 Phonogram B.V., The Netherlands. The insert and tray were printed in West Germany, so it's a multi-national affair :)! Discogs associates the catalog number with Germany, so who knows. Same source says it was released in Japan in 1989 as P20P 22009.

BIG ED likes this.
  22. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Yes, 16 seconds longer than the FROTNRS version.

23. texquad

texquad Senior Member

I just noticed that there's a UPC code on the back of this German Rainbow Bridge Reprise vinyl. That would pretty much make it a 1980's release.
    Check the label, that's 80's too!

[​IMG]

BIG ED likes this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Had a chance to finally play these two new reissues; it is nice to have this material in such fine sound quality on CD. That said, with all of the discussion on this thread (and obviously over the past several years) about Hendrix's work and plans for a fall 1970 album that this material is generally associated with, the sequencing of these releases does point out the inaccuracies and misguided direction applied to the release of this material over the years. While COY is a quasi-classic in its own way, all of this highlights how Experience Hendrix has dropped the ball with its management of Hendrix's final sessions and its inability to produce a substantive, historically accurate collection of material presenting the realities of Hendrix's final work. I am enjoying the sound quality on these masters, but I do find myself aggravated at the same time.

25. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Is it a US pressing? Band Of Gypsys is only tied to Capitol for the US market, it isn't on Capitol elsewhere, it was on Polydor in Europe back in the day.

BIG ED and PacificOceanBlue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.