Jimi, Square Waves, response from EH

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Sep 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Here's the URL for Roger Nichols' web site: www.rogernichols.com (big surprise there). Once you're there, click on the link for "EQ Columns" and look for the column called "CDs Give Me The Jitters!" Fascinating stuff.

Gardo

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Oh yeah, I follow RN's comments in EQ magazine every month. None of this was news to me.

3. Gardo

Does this qualify as "thread crapping"?:confused:

Gardo

4. Gardo

Excellent points. I don't blame engineers for wanting their peak levels as close as possible to 0 db. No sense wasting bits. On the other hand, I've read (maybe here?) that in the old days, digital engineers were warned by Sony not to let peaks get too close to zero, out of fear of "overs" that wouldn't be tracked by slower meters.

Gardo

5. Matt

Matt New Member

I think that's pretty consistent with the way Grant writes. I don't think he's trying to put you down. (just to be clear, there's no sarcasm in this post)

6. Gardo

Thanks for that clarification.

But if it's not ridicule, what is it, exactly? Why post to a thread and say, in essence, "I'm not learning anything here"?

Sorry--I'm feeling a bit cranky. On any other forum, those kinds of posts come with the territory. On this forum, they're rare enough that they bother me more. Or something like that.

Gardo:mad:

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

After reading 4,300 of Grant's posts, I don't think he was trying to be a pain. I think he was trying to say:

"I've known about this and have not been happy about it for a long time". Now others are finding out about it. Well, now you can all be depressed along with me".

Just my interpretation. :)

8. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I see Bob's diplomatic approach is rubbing off on you, Steve :)

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

This is so very true yet when you get an album mastered at any of the big mastering houses either in Nashville, LA or New York, the engineer automatically pushes the level up to 0dB. The last thing your album goes through is a digital peak limiter! There's no reason for this. I just think it's easier for them to get the levels even. If the last song is quieter than the rest it's easier to increase its volume than it is to make the rest of the record softer. Also, if they have that limiter in place they don't ever have to worry about getting any overs. When I print a mix I have to sit there and watch the meters to make sure I don't have some rogue snare hit that sends my meters into the red. It's a pain in the ****.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yup, it's a pain, but it's been a pain since 1925, and better this than the digital alternative!

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

12. Gardo

Point well taken. I had my own little "over" there and I have now adjusted my levels accordingly. Headroom is a precious thing. I'll try not to run out of it.:D

My apologies to Grant, Steve, gorts, and the forum.

On with the motley!
    Gardo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.