Jimmy Page 2014 "Book Stamping Tour"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spencer1, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jimmy Page is coming to The Grove in L.A. where he will "custom stamp" your new Jimmy Page book.
    Weird.
    Les Paul signed one of my Les Pauls at a box set signing, Brian Wilson signed my Pet Sounds at a box set signing ... Never heard of a "custom book stamping". Wonder why.

"In lieu of a signature, author will stamp book. No memorabilia or posed photos please."

http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/event/85507

EasterEverywhere and Peter Pyle like this.
  2. spencer1

Ahhhhhh ...

Somebody told me that there is a very expensive signed limited edition of this book.
    Maybe to keep the value of that up?
    Arthritis?

A while ago there was a big stink when people bought what was advertised as signed Gregg Allman biographies which turned out to be stamped.
    Rock stars ...

musicalbeds likes this.
  3. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

How about a thumb print instead?:D

4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

He's saving his hand for that new band work he's got coming in 2015. ;)

It's a special Bron-Y-Aur Stamp.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My friend and forum member Jerquee has the original JP book -- signed -- that Genesis Publications put out. Very 'spensive. I'd be pissed, too, if they released another signed book. Hence the "stamping" (whatever the f - - k that means).

6. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I bought a framed Rolling Stones poster many years ago at one of their shows, advertised as signed by the entire band. When I got it home I realized the signatures were stamped. It was not advertised as stamped and I'm still pissed off about that all these years later. At least they're being up front about it now.

7. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

I too have a signed JP book- Signed. I wrote to Genesis Publication about my concern with this release, and the value most people place on Genesis's books, and the investment value.

Here is their response:

The new edition of " Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page " that is due to be published shortly is a more accessible and affordable version of our original signed, limited edition which sold out within a few months of publication.

This is a hard back book, printed on lighter paper and with a smaller page size. The edition is not limited and is obviously not signed or numbered as your book is. Please be assured that publication of this version does not devalue your highly collectible limited edition in any way.

Regards,

David

EasterEverywhere and jsayers like this.
  8. spencer1

I JUST WANTED HIM TO SIGN ONE OF MY GUITARS !!

9. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Good to hear. I am a subscriber and have a copy of the original book.

10. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

HEY buster!!

ok that was very funny.

I'll let it pass

;)

Glenn Christense likes this.
  11. If I was a legendary musician, I'd be embarrassed to 'stamp' a book instead of signing it.

12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Page has been a "non-signer" since the 2007 Zep performance. He was a generous singer in the Page/Plant tours.

Plant has also been tough since 2007, especially anything LZ related.

John Paul Jones doesn't get hounded and signs anything

Malina likes this.
  13. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

[​IMG]

14. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Whatever happened to the good old days when if you asked someone to sign something it went one of two ways......they either signed it, or they snarled and told you to go f*** yourself.
    Ah simpler times.

15. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Does Jimmy use an ink pad or a self inking stamper? Inquiring minds and office supply enthusiasts want to know!

[​IMG]

16. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

Will the earliest stamped copies later be identified as "hot stampers" due to more ink on the stamp?

17. Demitri

Demitri Forum Resident

Page is probably only "stamping" the books because the original Genesis publication is hand signed and was very expensive. Killer book though. :cheers:

18. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Thank God for those decent remasters or else Page would now be placed in my "major tool" pile.

19. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

Will he stamp body parts?

;)

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  20. SoundAdvice

Surprisingly, Stevie Wonder is known as a good signer. Unlike Ray Charles with only a few authentic examples known to exist.

21. SoundAdvice

There are very simple things artists can do if they are "weird" about the autograph/ebay thing. Just make everyone in the lineup write their name on the same title page he is signing.

Some acts have got very picky on who they allow into the expensive VIP meet & greets(ie: 1 per tour and keeping record of all the names/photos for future reference).

22. spencer1

HA!

23. serge

serge Forum Resident

the more I think about it the more pitiful this is....somebody should stnad in line and when they get up there go "Mr. Page I'd like you to stamp my ass"

aroney likes this.
  24. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

It's whacked. Seriously, how many people will even get face time with him at this event? 200 at the most? Hardly enough to make a dent in the collectibility of the previous book.

And for the people who bought that book; was it because it would (hopefully) go up in value, or because it was Jimmy F'n Page and you're a real fan?

Think...about...it.

Heck, my wife sometimes suggests I sell one of my "collectibles" and I always go, "Nah, I bought it 'cuz I wanted it, and I'm a fan, not as an investment. When I'm gone - go for it, it won't matter to me then anyway."

It's a bit odd when these rock "gods" start doing stuff like this. At least those 'ol time ball-players have an excuse - they need the cash!

Now, if Jimmy breaks out the real pen and starts signing with his own hand that'd be cool (...and the right thing to do)!!!

Use_Your_Koala and serge like this.
  25. SoundAdvice

If Page signed at this even and 100 of the 300 books were the usual LA autograph collector scum to flip it on ebay. There could easily be $30,000-50,000 going into their pockets depending on if they can get clean photos of him signing.

Maybe Page has some kind of arthritis issue that would make a sit down signing tough on him when he could sign a stack of books at his leisure with someone helping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.