Jimmy Page 2014 "Book Stamping Tour"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spencer1, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I wouldn't take it personally - a lot of times at signings they want to simply move things as fast as they can because there are typically so many people. I'd chalk it up to logistics.

2. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

It makes me wonder if a well established musician having enough money for the next 200 years or more years (....) feels the need to make further money from just his autograph.
    Stamping something for a fan who may have queued up for hours is just disrespectful.

3. LSP

LSP Well-Known Member

The ridiculous thing is that if you buy the book direct from Genesis (for the normal price), it will be 'hand-stamped by the author'. Allegedly.

I suppose that if you get one stamped in person at one of these events, at least you'll know it really was stamped by Mr Page.

4. How is it disrepectful if they know exactly what they are in line for?

5. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

People like him know exactly how much their music means to their fans. And he knows that for most of them this book presentation is the only opportunity to meet him once in a lifetime.
    And then just offering a stamp instead of an original signature (which takes a second !) is just cynical.

Carserguev and serge like this.
  6. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

On the upside, the stamper practice is good 'cause then if Jimmy runs into any money trouble (ha ha hahahahahahhaha), he can always get a job pricing canned green beans at Wal*Mart. But if he REALLY loved us, he'd hand letter and illuminate each individual copy on vellum, like so:

[​IMG]

Karsten likes this.
  7. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Perhaps his quasi Siamese twin Ross Halfin is terribly broke, and Jimmy is doing this to help someone in need.

Otherwise...I am absolutely befuddled.

8. APH

APH Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Gangster in David Lynch's Mulholland Drive.

9. 905

905 Senior Member

10. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Bron-Y-Aur Stamp

Lord Summerisle, capn and Jerquee like this.
  11. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

I wouldn't waste my time queueing up to get a book stamped by the author. Even if he was there.

If he is not signing books to avoid upsetting people who bought a signed limited edition, that argument is flawed. The publisher has made unsigned copies available to the store. He has chosen to turn up and promote the book.

If you met him in a pub (very unlikely, I know) and by chance you had just bought his book or a copy of Outrider (slightly even less likely) across the road, would he say 'oh no I can't sign that'? I very much doubt it.

Stamping a book rather than signing it strikes me as plain bizarre. He's not Prince, is he?

Carserguev likes this.
  12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Who the **** cares whether their book is signed or stamped? I can enjoy Page's music (and this book) without having to genuflect before him and have him make some sort of mark on the book.

jsayers likes this.
  13. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

As a buyer of the original book that felt semi-screwed when they announced the regular edition, I am somewhat comforted that they are doing something to lessen the impact of putting out the mass market version.

Having said that, even if I hadn't sprung for the original version, I'd be cool with him stamping my mass market version. The point to me is that I'm meeting Jimmy Page, not that I get a signature. You can even get a photo of yourself with him if someone behind you helps you out. I think the stamp haters are losing the point of the experience.

jsayers likes this.
  14. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

I personally don't care if a book is signed. However if a shop is offering to let punters meet the author, I would reasonably expect him to at least get his pen out for the occasion. If I get this, it will be the price drops a bit on amazon and if he turned up locally I would not buy it again for a signed copy, far less a stamped one...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

JL6161 likes this.
  16. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

17. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

There was a time when having the autograph of celebrities is cool. But it has become so extremely overdone and common place that it is no longer interesting.
    It is like tattoos... used to be a cool thing because it was unique. Now it is just something the herd does.
    I see singed guitars on CL all the time, some 89 dollar Walmart guitar that someone is trying to sell for 300 bucks because last weeks flavor signed it.

My point being, I am an old Page fan from way back, learned a lot of cool guitar and bass playing figuring out Zep songs. But I wouldn't stand in line to get an autograph from him and I REALLY wouldn't stand in line for him to stamp something.

jsayers likes this.
  18. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

I am going to a book talk here in LA on 11/12 and if there is a chance for me to get my book stamped I will take it. WHY? Because I just want to meet the man himself in the flesh...if the line was to get your face slapped or to have him check your pulse I would still do it just to say I got to meet my favorite guitarist of all time before he dies........why is that hard to accept. Its not really about the damn stamp and EVERYONE in that line just wants to meet their hero. Duh!

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

He's had problems with ebay scum. This the stamping method can sell books, meet fans and ward off the "scum".

In theory photos would be preferred, but that's is a bit unprecedented for book stores.

20. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

all of this may be true but it has nothing to do with my point so I am not sure why you quoted me. but:righton:anyway

21. serge

serge Forum Resident

Its common practice at these book promo things to get your freakin' book SIGNED not STAMPED...everybody does it.. Salman Rushdie, Bill Clinton.....everybody

Page looks retarded applying the stamp

as for those that don't like autographs that's your business... plenty of people do like them.

Carserguev likes this.
  22. If you're free and easy with your autographs, eventually the only ones that ask will be the genuine fans.

23. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

If they destroy the stamp after the book stamping tour then it will be a limited edition stamp that everyone has and worth millions on eBay.

24. old time fan

old time fan Active Member

If you like autographs, here's your chance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jimmy-Page-...t=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item1e93c89548

Grab it while you can.

25. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

I was just going to say that that is exactly what Stevie Wonder does. He came into the Circuit City I was a music department manager at back in '97 and he bought the latest in audio at the store. Mini-Disc systems and such. When it came time to pay for the items he used his credit card and used his thumb print as his signature. Unfortunately couldn't get a thumb print/signature because he had "security"

Mal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.