Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Live LPs of mid to late 70s concerts please.

RangerXT, RhodyDave125 and mx20 like this.
  2. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

i'm sure most of us know the majority of bonus material in last sets was from bootlegs. i assume from the tapes that were stolen from Jimmy

RangerXT likes this.
  3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I just worry about edits and Frankentakes, a la How the West Was Won, the BBC '69 and '71 concerts that were butchered on the BBC sessions, Paris '69 from the LZ I deluxe...nothing Page has done has made me give up my boots as the definitive sources for these shows and I doubt he'll start now.

4. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

One thing I feel is pretty certain -- every time Led Zeppelin moved a project from one studio to another, or every time they struck the faders and reset the mixing desk to move on to something else, it seems like they did a rough mix or instrumental mix of whatever they had, at that moment. In the recording world, pre-Pro Tools, it was pretty standard practice to make a rough mix, any time you were changing studios or taking a long break from a song or a session. Because in analog recording, once you "strike the faders" and move them, disconnect all the patches to effects and take everything apart at the mixing desk, it's pretty hard to get it all back again. A lot of times, you'd have notes written on a piece of masking tape, stuck across the mixing board -- good luck getting that info back again once you tear it off and ball it up.

So basically, all those songs on the reissues that had alternate mix, early mix, guitar mix backing track, overdub reference mix, in transit, working mix, etc -- we have to assume that those weren't flukes, there are probably similar reference mixes like that, for all the other songs in their catalog, as well. (Except for Presence, of course, which has less tracks like that, because they never changed studios). Judging from the content of the overall bonus tracks they also seem to have frequently done some "dry" mixes, during the mixing stage, without using as much reverb or echo, just to hear what they had before adding the 'verb in the final mix.

Bottom line, the bulk of the alternates on the 2014 bonus discs, simply translated into, "we are moving this album/project from one studio to another, let's do a quick rough mix onto a reel, to take with us to the next studio." And I expect that the other songs also had similar treatments, along the way, as well. It's not the biggest bombshell of news, but given everything we know, that's where I'd look first for "new" Led Zeppelin music. That, and Earls Court, are my two bets.

The entire Earls Court run of concerts was sorta viewed by the band as their triumphant "return" to England, or a celebration of sorts. That was always how they themselves viewed it. So it would kinda make sense to pull that out for the 50th, since Jimmy is feeling nostalgic and sentimental about anniversary numbers, all of a sudden.

5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'm guessing more live stuff.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  6. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

did anyone know if Jimmy Page have multitrack recordings from the 5 shows at Earls Court,1975 ?

joshm2286 likes this.
  7. parman

parman Music Junkie

Here's hoping there's a long lost secret album that nobody knows about and it will actually be NEW UNHEARD music

andrewskyDE, RangerXT, Sean and 3 others like this.
  8. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

If true, I personally hope it's more studio outtakes and alternate mixes. Unless all (existing) performances from the three nights in MSG in July of '73 are packaged in another super deluxe box or something, then I'm not as enamored with yet more live recordings. I am a "The Song Remains The Same" addict though - the film and the recordings. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'll buy anything Zeppelin, live or otherwise, but it's really the craft of their studio work that is their lasting legacy, and the stuff I enjoy listening to the most.

a customer, The Trinity, Sean and 3 others like this.
  9. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

keep in mind, the best of the best of their unreleased material was released on the original Coda. :(

10. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

This isn't true, the whole point of the bonus material was that it was rough mixes plus stuff like Keys to the Highway & Pod Pod which had never previously appeared anywhere.

11. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Bron-Yr-Aur (no guitar mix)

12. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

from what I read, a lot was already known. i can be worng?

13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Milking the cow......

a customer and parman like this.
  14. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Yes, your point was incorrect.

The vast majority of the bonus material had never been heard before in that form.

Drotz1 likes this.
  15. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Jonesy's Montreux

supernaut, RangerXT, Sean and 2 others like this.
  16. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

A mention was made of Fillmore 69 above. For the Fillmore East the Ledsters actually appeared twice, first opening for Iron Butterfly in January, then returning 5/30 and5/31 as the opener. Were either or both these gigs recorded (there of course actually being two shows each night)?

krlpuretone likes this.
  17. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Or...

Moby Dick (Mix minus drums)
    Stairway To Heaven (Backwards Mix) :)

I learned though to not judge an alternate mix by the bewilderment of its title. For instance "The Rain Song (Mix Minus Piano)" is sublime and one of my favorites from the recent deluxe editions. Yet I have no clue why it says "mix minus piano". The piano is perfectly beautiful and clear! As it should be. :)

smoke, RangerXT, Sean and 4 others like this.
  18. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Your worrying is correct as he will almost certainly do some editing to make a "perfect" show for the masses. Take the two Osaka '71 shows. He is not going to release both nights. So you will get another HTWWW edited from both shows. Sure many songs could be hardly touched. But there will be edits. And I am sure some medley songs will not make the final product again because of royalties. I don't really blame him for doing the editing. When I've recorded, I've take liberty to create the best final product based on what editing could/needed to be done. Warts and all is only for collectors (and would be cool for a standalone special release).

supernaut, RangerXT, Sean and 3 others like this.
  19. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

As with the recent Yardbirds '68 release of the Anderson Theater show.

DrBeatle likes this.
  20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

He can call it More Physical Graffiti. :)

21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Central Park 69 or Dallas 69 videos?

22. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

THIS.

a customer likes this.
  23. "The Crunge" (the unabridged 'bridge' version)

DHamilton likes this.
  24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

He's just wrapped up an autograph stamping session.

RangerXT, Sean, PDK and 5 others like this.
  25. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

My hope would be the Led Zeppelin DVD tranferred to blu-ray, with extras and the wide-screen footage anamorphic

joshm2286, RangerXT, Sean and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.