Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Live shows please no video.

DrBeatle likes this.
  2. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Bath 1970, Montreux 1970 & 1971

:wave:

3. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Agree, unless they can come up with something really worthy to have and made professionaly, I don’t see the point of re-issuing bootleg material or many concerts of the same tour just for the sake of it. King Crimson did it and frankly, as much as I like this band, I did not join the bus this time (Island, LTIA, SABB, Red and Discipline megasets).

Let’s wait and see what Mr. Page has to offer (live or studio).

4. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

Never said I had all the answers so no need to get snarky.

5. Adam Ryan Watson.

Don't get me wrong I would prefer soundboard releases from the 2nd 1970 u s tour over any of the known multi tracks in heartbeat my dream release would be something like a Milwaukee August 31 1970 or a soundboard box set of the 2 September 19 1970 msg shows. But jimmy won't release that stuff because unlike the greatful dead there was no thought or effort put into sb tapes they plugged in the recorder to a line out for the p a feed and pressed record and once in a while if Sombody had time or thoight about it they might change the reel before it run out if orlando is any indication those early boards have a lot of gaps. The soundboards have potential for a limited fan club release series or download series but not as large main stream releases in jimmy eyes anyway .

Norco74 likes this.
  6. Adam Ryan Watson.

Would be nice to get the definitive word once and for all about whether they have bath 1970 on multitrack. Where they attempted to film you would think they would have pro recorded it.

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Could be. The odds are very slim there are any multi-tracked shows left that we have not heard about or heard about existing at this point.

I'm sure every fan hopes they are wrong on this front and we get a huge surprise but it's a big long shot.

superstar19 likes this.
  8. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

LA Forum and Long Beach '72 were recorded for a possible live album - there is an article from a 1972 NME that mentions this.

Bath 1970 was recorded to multitrack and filmed for the same scrapped TV special as RAH 1970.

Southampton is awful. No amount of fixing can save that performance IMO. Bath 1970 and/or Osaka 1971 would be monumental.

Bubba Zanetti and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  9. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

They 100% have it. Not sure they have all the film. Others here will have the scoop.

Unlikely there are many SB from 1970. Showco started recording every show in 1971 it seems. The band made some (4 track?) recordings of a few 1971 club dates. There are photos that document this. No idea if those tapes exist.

DrBeatle likes this.
  10. That's what people do around here.

Alan57 likes this.
  11. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

Absolutely. Please let it be the 24th, unedited.

12. Norco74

So many requests to keep Mr. Page busy for another 20 years!

13. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

20-30 minutes of colour footage of Led Zeppelin performing at Bath Festival in 1970 exists - Led Zeppelin News

There's about 30 minutes of colour footage.

14. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I mean I don't need a live video with the corresponding live cd as the choices would be narrow down.
    I prefer a live show I and if there's (partly) video that's a bonus.

15. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Have you heard many of those 1972-74 concert recordings?

16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Southampton in its entirety is very uneven. There are, however, some highlights. I would love to see "The Rain Song" properly mixed and mastered for release.
    That situation has always been intriguing. It was documented that the band recorded some of the 1971 club dates (JP referred to it in a 1970's era interview), so what happened to the tapes?

Bubba Zanetti likes this.
  17. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

If it's the long time rumored Bath 1970, Montreux 1971, Detroit 1977, I'm in !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sean, marmalade166, tinnox and 2 others like this.
  18. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Agree with all, except maybe the board tapes. Then again, maybe some magic could be worked on them. I hope so.

Despite all the criticism leveled at the studio companion discs, some surprises surfaced. Hopefully, this will be the case with live material as well.

Some video would almost have to be part of the plan.

And while I don't like Knebworth much, some way to fix Ten Years Gone should be found, even if Jimmy has to go and record the electric part himself. It's a good performance of one of their best songs, and deserves to be heard in the same quality as the other officially released Knebby stuff.

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Good question. We know hey pulled the Southampton tapes when they did the DVD and HTWWW release but no mention of anything else. You'd think they would've pulled all their tapes at that time. Perhaps they didn't have them then but now they do?

21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It's a shame that who ever worked for ShowCo in 1975 and wound up "losing" a box of the 1975 board tapes (Grant mentions this in an interview) didn't lose boxes of earlier board tapes during the earlier tours as well :)

I remember when that Orlando 71 soundboard hit the streets. Excellent stuff.

Dusty Sommers likes this.
  22. Norco74

I admit not many, a few starting with Epitaph boxset. Not everyone is into many versions of the same material from the same tour...

As I often say, I keep operas and megaboxsets listening for my retirement days!

23. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I'm not a Zep expert and know The Who much better. There are new sources found all the time. Especially with 60s groups who didn't take value in these recordings back in the day. Let's hope some good stuff is found.

Sean, jay.dee, DrBeatle and 1 other person like this.
  24. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

But of course not. I thought the same about these sets, seeing as the setlist is more or less the same each time as well. But I did seriously get my melon twisted (MAN) by the first one I got (in November last year) and now I know and love 'em all. My feelings for the band has really soared in that time and I used to really love the studio stuff.

With Zeppelin it is not the same because the weren't consistent live. Still pretty much my favorite ever band, but I have no use for a box set with a complete tour or summat.

Norco74 likes this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

They also reviewed the Japan 1971 tapes at that time as well, at least according to Dave Lewis.

tmtomh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.