Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

This thread should perhaps not venture into pros and cons with HTWWW (and I believe that it deserves a fair amount of criticism). But when it comes to releasing the complete concert, and the same applies to a potential release of Japan 1971, I do believe copyright stands in the way. If you don't clearance, you have to cut the track. Its as simple as that. And since we do know that Zep's been involved in one or two litigations over the years, I don't believe that they are particularly interested in going to court over the inclusion of a small excerpt of song, better then to cut it out. What surprises me though is that nobody is asking Jimmy Page that question; have there been one or two cases where you wanted to include a song but couldn't get permission?

Apart from that, missing Zep originals from HTWWW will most likely end up on a chronologial live album whereafter we will piece together the most complete 1972 concert that we can. As things stand, I would place my bets on tapes from 1968 to be released this autumn.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Copyright is a bigger issue for DVD/video releases because often the license to use songs has to be individually negotiated. The release on audio releases apparently is not as complicated. It comes down to whether or not the band wants to pay out a royalty, which in the case of Led Zeppelin, is often "no."

3. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

No, it's one thing to do stand alone covers (Something Else, Louie Louie), that's easy, another thing with rearranging songs into medleys and changing lyrics (which Plant often did). Inserting 59th Street Bridge Song into Heartbreaker may not be Paul Simon's idea of a cover.

4. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

To make a long story very short, in Europe the following applies:

A work may not be changed in a manner which is prejudicial to the author's literary or artistic reputation or to his individuality, nor may it be made available to the public in such a form or in such as context as is prejudicial in the manner stated. The author may, with binding effect, waive his right under this Article only in relation to uses which are limited as to their character and scope.

Comment: If Sly Stone doesn't want Everyday People to serve as an intro to Thank You or if Paul Simon doesn't like 59th Street Bridge Song being used in Heartbreaker, you can't release it. The same applies if the publishers of those songs (not the writers) don't approve. You need approval from the composer, the lyricist and the publishers. Two out of three is not enough.

If you don't want Robert Plant to change the lyrics to Hello Marylou (don't know if he did), you can't release it. If you are using a song where the author is dead, but copyright still remains, like Bonzo's Montreaux, you need permission from the estate of John Bonham. Different author's have different views on this, e.g some care immensly and some don't. It may also be that the copyright of the songs itself is disputed which further complicates matters. Once you get permission, you need to sort out the compensation. And of course, the right to release it may be limited in time or scope.

It all boils down to that you need to get permission from the rights holder (composer, lyricist, music publisher, record company) if you make changes to the music and/or to the lyrics. This applies to all Zeppelin medleys and all songs where Zeppelin suddenly incorporates another song. And to further complicate matters, it may be different publishers in the US and in Europe. This means that its not just up to Zep to decide what to release.

A straight cover is easy with a standardized license fee. Everything else is complicated.

And in a very related matter:

Subject to the limitations prescribed in this Act, a producer of recordings of sounds or of moving images has an exclusive right to exploit his recording by
    1. making copies of the recording, and
    2. making the recording available to the public.
    The rights referred to in the first Paragraph last until fifty years have elapsed after the year in which the recording was made. If a sound recording is being published within this period, the rights last, instead, until the expiry of the fiftieth year after the year in which the sound recording was first published. If the sound recording is not published during the said period but is made public during the same period, the rights last, instead, until the expiry of the fiftieth year after the year in which the sound recording was first made public.

This applies to The Who at Fillmore and to Led Zeppelin's 50th Anniversary releases.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Sean, marcb, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  5. Bewaremylove

Bewaremylove Forum Resident

6. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

It's been noted on the Zep forums that Plant had Shapeshifters gigs planned for August and has cancelled them. Cue frenzied speculation!

Bewaremylove likes this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

I cannot imagine there is going to be another Zeppelin reunion show. They will never top Celebration Day and Plant knows it. It took decades to finally rectify Live Aid and the Atlantic birthday celebration, the last thing they want to do is lay another egg.

Roberto899, Dr. Funk, Sean and 7 others like this.
  8. Overthehillsandfaraway

I agree, but my guess is there will be some series of celebratory events involving Plant, Page & Jones. Not a gig, but something similar to the "Q&A accompanied by pictures" that Page did for his book in 2014 with Michael Hann. Just my speculation.

9. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

A John Bonham monument in his hometown

10. Overthehillsandfaraway

Being built afaik. Redditch Borough Council got the planning go ahead last summer.

steveharris likes this.
  11. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

True but he had no problem expanding the BBC remaster and for the price of hwww we should have got a bonus disks . It certainly would have sold more copies. And the original songs should bot have royalty issues aside from a couple of snippets in communication breakdown which didn't present any problems on the BBC releases . That killer version of thank you needs to be released. It could be released in 2022 on a comprehensive 1972 set if they decide to tackle the copywrite issue . I will remain cautiously optimistic that re extra tracks will be released some day. For now I will stick with my original hwww.

12. Adam Ryan Watson.

I just read an interview with Robert plant and he made some statements that are concerning. H e seems to imply that no release has been decided on. He said he will be sitting down with the rest of the band to discuss the 50th anniversary . He said there will be a celebration for sure but beyond that musically it is very hard to find music that in unheard. He goes on to say that there a few snippets lying around bit nothing that amounts to a full album and that he wishes there was more to look at. I really hope Robert is not going to torpedo a live releases. Why does it have to be unheard zeppelin . A japan release or a chronological live set would be welcome with open arms by most zeppelin fans . I worry that Robert is going to stand in the way of some great live releases . This is quite contradictory to what page has said. Could this by what he meant when he said I can't give the game away because they have not gotten Robert to sign off yet . I sincerely hope I am reading too much into Roberts statements. He also pointed out that it's been 50 years and 38 years since john Bonham died which sounds like one of his let it go. People it's over statements please Robert let us mortals have some more live zeppelin. The way he talked about there not being enough for a full album makes it sound like he is opposed to a live release.

13. I didn't see where he implied no release has been decided upon.

Sean and marcb like this.
  14. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Nor did I.

It's typical Plant, he's never totally direct and always puts some distance between himself and Zeppelin. I take it as yeah, something live is coming out, we didn't record a lot of gigs, anyway it's Page's baby and I guess we'll celebrate the 50th.

No reason for concern IMO .

mrcond, Sean, Efus and 1 other person like this.
  15. Overthehillsandfaraway

I wouldn't take anything Plant says in interviews literally. He talks in metaphors, riddles etc. I bet discussions are proceeding, Plant just doesn't want to say too much. Anyway according to Twitter he's snowed in in Minnesota at the mo, so let's hope he pops a cork of something tonight.

marcb likes this.
  16. PacificOceanBlue

Agreed. JP would not have been given the green light to engineer the live tapes over the past several months, plus refer to a series of releases that are being planned for the next several years, if decisions had not been made. It would seem that JP, Plant, Jones, and the Bonham estate have signed off on a plan for additional product. Plant's statement about snippets of unheard music lying around likely refers to studio tracks, and we all know there still are snippets of unreleased music in the band's studio archives.

Sean, Efus and WarEagleRK like this.
  17. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Yeah they'll probably throw a big party in London or something, and have other bands and artists plays Zep tunes, showing vintage Zep footage on a big screen, while the remaining guys and all their friends and other rock legends gather and have some fun together. Maybe a DJ there plays LZ tunes and old blues stuff that inspired them too.

I don't think they'll be planning a new concert or tour.

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t think Plant writes lyrics. I think he just has a stenographer transcribe his ramblings.

Sean and Overthehillsandfaraway like this.
  19. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I wonder if they will bother with Record Store Day?

20. Overthehillsandfaraway

Well, he likes to ramble on...

Bewaremylove, Sean, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  21. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

If Jimmy was so concerned about preserving the integrity of previous Zeppelin albums, someone should remind him how he radically altered TSRTS for it's 2007 reissue... in addition to the fact that the original version isn't available on brand new vinyl.

Or how he added new tracks to BBC Sessions... including three taped off an Eastern European radio broadcast decades ago and of appalling sound quality!

I won't be purchasing the newly-remastered HTWWW either; I've no major problem with how it sounded before and no incentive to double dip this time...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    RK2249 and jay.dee like this.
  22. The original mix was remastered by Classic Records®.

23. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Remastered by Bernie Grundman, to be specific... and it sounded pretty awesome to boot! Pity it's been out of print for 11 years though...

In my humble opinion, it would have been better if Jimmy and Kevin Shirley had remixed the MSG '73 tracks exclusively for the reissued TSRTS film, and left the original album itself untouched (save for a nice 24/96 remaster).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    steveharris likes this.
  24. Adam Ryan Watson.

Well
    Well like I said maybe I'm reading too much into it he does not come right out and say it no. But some of his statements about finding releasable music has a don t get your hopes up kind of tone to it. He certainly didn't confirm that that will be a release in the interview . But again I'm probably reading too much into it . It's probably a work of some sort on planrs part.

25. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Perhaps
    It has never be black or white with both Page and Plant. Looks like they manage the skill of evasive statements, creating hype around a very lucrative 12 years fruitful career in the 70’s to finally deliver little.

I don’t want to sound negative but the barrel has been scraped many times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.