Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Hard to really be very excited here, when anyone with a brain knows that there is actually an unused "Sunset Sound Mix" for the whole entire IV album sitting in the vault, except for "When The Levee Breaks" where the "Sunset Sound mix" is the finished mix....they mixed pretty much the whole thing first at Sunset Sound, then remixed it again in England. What they should have done is, they should have put the whole "Sunset Sound mix" on its own extra disc on the Super Deluxe, with the Island/UK remix of "When The Levee Breaks" swapped in place of the released one. And then another disc of the other unreleased goodies. Oh well.....

2. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Okay so now until September even if there is an official announcement of this 50th live album, we have record store day until then for the slight possiblity of DVD and The original Song Remains The Same being reissued in some form.If not then I`m sure the new live album will be good.I`m still happy HTWWW will be out on various formats.

3. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

its the sound of one hand clapping

4. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Great times for a 70s rock fan. Lavish multi-disc boxsets and standalone releases with live tapes from Dylan, Zappa, Dead, Crimson, Young, Who, Springsteen, Chicago, Doors and many more...

I have read that even Led Zeppelin decided to jump on the bandwagon with a 7'' single that would accompany an exclusively shrunk re-edition of their live album. Many fans agree that this exciting news bodes very well for their next releases allegedly queuing in the pipeline... :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    RangerXT, budwhite and footlooseman like this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and these were not put on the last round of remasters because................................................

coniferouspine and Roberto899 like this.
  6. BobFever

BobFever Forum Resident

.................................................$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

7. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Imagine Page spending 18 months deliberating the 50th to arrive at the conclusion of releasing Southampton.:unhunh:

coniferouspine likes this.
  8. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Breaking news - Page has put all 50th anniversary releases on hold to concentrate on finishing his solo album.

Sean, RangerXT, JasonA and 1 other person like this.
  9. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

The Sunset Sound Mix is now the only version of STH I hear, it's far clearer and punchier. So I would be pleased if they'd release the whole album this way to compare with the original. I like all their live stuff pretty much, but it never grabbed me like the studio material. Plant on stage never reaches the quality of the original, except for the early bluesy stuff which is not my favourite. Page's work is often sloppy and too meandering. What stands out to me are Immigrant Song / That's The Way from HTWWW and In My Time Of Dying / Communication Breakdown from DVD.

RangerXT and BobFever like this.
  10. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

Yeah I hope the extremely small audience at Southampton is not what he is referring to as a different view. Roberts voice is so shot on that performance it's hard for to imagine him giving the green light. I could see that release being attractive to page because it's already been given a mix down and would not take a lot of effort to finish. It's still hard to imagine releasing Southampton as the main 5oth anniversary release especially where it's available as s high quality bootleg. He did talk about dazed and confused from January 73 recently . It would be a huge disappointment.

11. Adam Ryan Watson.

The record store day release is another missed opportunity. Have we not been given enough of these boring alt mixes that sound almost identical to the official versions. Since we are getting a hwww remaster in late March and record store day is in April it would have been a perfect opportunity to release thank you and tangerine as a record store day single. I wonder if he choose alt mixes because they would take the least amount effort and were probably finished when he was working the studio remasters.

Sean, RangerXT, rockclassics and 3 others like this.
  12. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Yes! A RSD release of a HTWWW supplement with the missing tracks would have been exciting.

13. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

While I can understand some feeling that the RSD release is a letdown, I'm looking at it in a more positive light. It's the first time LZ has done a RSD release, so I see this as them dipping their toes into the water to test it out. If they carry on RSD releases in future (plus the Black Friday one is close to the anniversary), there could be more interesting releases in future - e.g. possibly live releases that would be aimed at the hardcore fans but not suitable for a full scale release.

Sean, RangerXT, superstar19 and 4 others like this.
  14. Adam Ryan Watson.

The 77 boards make pages guitar tone sound a lot worse a well . It's much better on the audience tapes . I really enjoy his tone on the Millard tapes. Not near as good as his tone from earlier years. But still enjiyable. On the 77 boards he sounds muddy and very buzzy.

15. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

You are correct.

16. Adam Ryan Watson.

If there was only zep tour i could have a live release from it would be the second north America of 1970. My favorite era of pages guitar tone and playing. And Roberts most consistent tour in his upper register in my opinion . He was consistently amazing every night the first tour of 1970 was great for plant as well but he was hitting the highs way better on the second 70 tour. The whole band was really starting to hit their peak on that tour. It was the perfect blend of the early amped up raw blues thing and the more diverse and refined band they would become in 72 and 73. You can hear it all coming together on that tour every show on that tour was fantastic I would love an sb for the milwaukee show. Despite only being s partial recording the audience tape probably contains my absolute favorite plant performance his power and range at that show is insanely good

Rockinrob and steveharris like this.
  17. Adam Ryan Watson.

Too bad they didn't they didn't do that in 1975. That tour would have benefited greatly from better vocals. Despite what people say I love most of they pre landover shows like the Chicago run the first 2 msg shows and I really like Montreal . Fantastic shows instrumentally. Pages tone seems quite a bit beefier at those shows. Would love to hear soundboards for those shows

Sean, johnny q, RangerXT and 2 others like this.
  18. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Yep. The fourth album is the most redundant of the SDEs to me. Having all the Sunset tracks in one place would have made sense.

But if it doesn't make sense, it must make money.....

19. Eddie Winters

Eddie Winters Well-Known Member

A little off topic...but has anyone seen or heard of Jimmy Sakurai? He is a Japanese guitar player who dedicated his life to mastering the art of Jimmy Page's stage performance down to the clothes, guitars, amps, moves, etc.. He is really spectacular to watch/listen to. Apparently, he is now playing guitar with Jason Bonham.

Jimmy Page came to see him perform in Japan and I think he was blown away:

20. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

He is fun to watch.

Flippikat likes this.
  21. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I've watched some of Jimmy Sakurai's performances on Youtube and he not only has the look and the moves down as well as the sound, but his chops are right up there with Jimmy Page circa '71-73.

22. Konez

Konez Active Member

Following thread!

Sean and RangerXT like this.
  23. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

The 50-year anniversary for sound recordings (and possibility of copyrights expiring) is now hitting a great era.

Even though bootlegging really started to take off in 1969, there's still a lot of 1968 recordings that have circulated for a while on bootleg or greymarket (eg The Who at Fillmore East, Beatles White album demos & outtakes, and the released then withdrawn Yardbirds at the Anderson Theatre..) Two of those examples have an official release with upgraded sound.

The "use it or (potentially) lose it" stakes are getting higher by the year... and our can just about feel the sense of urgency coming from labels & artists.

If it also means unheard stuff coming out along with upgrades, all the better.

Ain't it great? :)

dee, jay.dee and Sean like this.
  24. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released : great , but what ? so far HTWWW is not new material and is not unheard...

25. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It's the 45 for RSD. Typical Jimmy Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.