Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hootsmon

Hootsmon Forum Resident

I'd heard rumours about 30 years ago that the whole Bath set was filmed but I always thought that it was every band that got the treatment. Who knows?
    Has any other footage from the other bands at the festival ever surfaced?

tmtomh likes this.
  2. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

If you knew what the build quality of British cars were like in the 70s, you wouldn't ask....!

Murph, RangerXT, eddiel and 5 others like this.
  3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I'm still holding out hope..........but I agree with you that the likelyhood of anything new being released is irrational. :cussing:

tmtomh likes this.
  4. Overthehillsandfaraway

Did Pink Floyd release some Bath 1970 footage? Might have been '69 and I remembered wrong.

5. Overthehillsandfaraway

I agree, but Salewicz' story doesn't quite chime with the known changes to Kashmir. They patched Plant's voice up with rehearsal vocals for when he was running out of puff at the end of the song.

I bet "the Garden tapes bloke" was disappointed Page didn't go full Frankenstein with the presentation of the o2 show though. ;)

footlooseman likes this.
  6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

As a press conference for the release of Celebration Day, Plant said they "tuned" aka autotoned some of his wails at the end of the song. Is it confirmed that they used rehearsal vocals and didn't just autotune the relevant vocals from the actual show as Plant claimed?

7. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I heard the same thing, far back as when CODA came out. Must be the live gigs. C'mon Jimmy...do something better than an "expanded" version of TSRTS. More crap for an admitted subpar performance? Raid the vaults! Knebworth(both shows audio/video). Earl's Court. Bath, just to name a few!

tmtomh likes this.
  8. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Dec 31st, 2018 at 11: 59 PM.

9. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Saw this posted over at Royal Orleans. If you click on 'Merchandise' on the official Led Zeppelin website, you get this:

Led Zeppelin - Home

Still not holding my breath, but it is interesting. Hope is not lost!

Clucking likes this.
  10. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

I'm not sure it is that obvious (even assuming the story is generally true). From what we know of past projects, and perhaps the current one, he has never been a firm advocate of the "warts and all" approach.

11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

$179 for a 50th Anniversary blanket?:wtf: For that kinda price the thing should come with a free mudshark!:laugh:
    The intro and solo on "Hot Dog" being a notable exception, of course:p

smoke and Kossoff is God like this.
  12. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Yep, on Early Years - four-ish minutes of Atom Heart Mother from Bath, albeit with a BBC recording of it as the audio. Notably, footage of the full Atom Heart Mother circulates with soundboard audio so they could/should have included all of it, even if it is a pretty dodgy performance.

footlooseman and tmtomh like this.
  13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You know what? I think he probably would, to an extent, if he had a team (ie the other band members) behind him that were motivated and interested in this happening. I'm not suggesting we'd get a warts and all bootleg approach, but I do think he'd be more willing to get anything decent enough out.

14. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

We probably won't get what we want from Zeppelin until Jason Bonham is in control of the archives. I have a feeling he knows what fans want.

RK2249, tmtomh and footlooseman like this.
  15. Overthehillsandfaraway

This. Plant does as little as he can get away with, Jones understands the fantastic legacy of the band but (I speculate) defers to Page.

The only clue I can think of so far re: the unreleased 2018/19 live recording, is Page's comment that it "shows a completely different side of the band". I'd love to see an Earls Court live album, but wouldn't mind betting it's Montreux.

tmtomh likes this.
  16. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Montreux '70 would be amazing - it's a more ferocious performance than any officially release live Zep.

johnny q likes this.
  17. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Jimmy said it was a multitrack, so I guess that, unfortunately, rules out Montreux 1970.

tmtomh and footlooseman like this.
  18. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I really want the later tours at this point: 75, 77, & 79 if he is going to release them at a snail's pace. The 69-73 period have been covered already.

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Many fans would love to have an audio set from Earls Court of Knebworth, but if JP issues the audio from Bath 1970 or Japan 1971, that will be a wonderful addition to the catalogue.

Some sort of chronological retrospective audio box set would have been appropriate for the 50th anniversary. JP could have cherry-picked highlights from various concerts from different periods, avoiding problematic performances or too much repetition.

20. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Can you imagine him working on that? We would be lucky to see that for their 60th. I wish someone would ask him who is he passing the baton of being in charge of reissues to.
    If I was his age I would have a sense of slight urgency to get out all the archive stuff within the next 10 years or less. He's such a control freak you would think he would want to get all of it out there sooner than later.

21. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

The Steven Wilson mixed Yes releases were awesome too. Excellent audio and at a damn good price.

Zephead2112 and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  22. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Strongly disagree. We don't have anything from 1971 save for Paris Theater which doesn't even hint at what they were doing live during the period.

mpayan, swedgin, marmalade166 and 5 others like this.
  23. meimnoone

meimnoone Forum Resident

I agree 100%, be careful though Billy will spread his not so subtle charm your way:laugh:

Chris M likes this.
  24. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

1970 rather unrepresented as well. RAH belongs more to the 1969 period compared to what they were doing 6 months later at Bath.

25. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

There is an interview in Sound on Sound magazine with the guy who mixed the album and he talks about “fixing “ Robert’s vocal. I can’t remember what it said but I’m sure it’s available online. If not I might still have the magazine somewhere and I’ll try to dig it out and let you know.

RangerXT and tmtomh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.