Jiro Dreams of Sushi

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by matthew5, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident Thread Starter

An excellent film.

More than just sushi.... Well it's about that too. But it's also about the search for finding meaning in one's everyday work life. The striving for perfection. The satisfaction in a job well done. I find myself relating to it on some level, being a baker myself. Of course I have not achieved the comparative skill and accolades as Jiro, but every day I strive to be just a little bit better than the last.

There is also a lot of slow motion sequences with a quietly intense Philip Glass score. It lends the film that appropriate level of gravitas.

mikeyt likes this.
  2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

:agree: Great flick :righton:

3. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Loved it. I need to go to Japan.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

My favorite moment in the film is actually when Jiro's two sons tell the story about buying their first Coca-Cola.

Jiro's younger son opened a separate mirror restaurant, while Jiro's older son has to continue working under Jiro -- being obligated as the elder son to follow in the father's footsteps. This is a little foreign to Americans and comes across as a frustrating situation for the older son.

A meal at the restaurant costs ¥30,000, or about US$300.

5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

One thing that's really interesting to me about the restaurant (and maybe this is another cultural difference) is that it's underground, in a subway station.

6. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

I loved this doc. After watching it I almost booked a flight to Japan!

7. htom

htom Senior Member

That would be easier than booking a reservation at Sukiyabashi Jiro, or at least that's the impression the film leaves.

8. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

If you haven't been, you missing a wonderfull experience with the country and culture.

9. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

I have been! Just not to Jiro.

10. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Obama kicks off Japan trip with a meal at Jiro’s sushi restaurant
    http://nypost.com/2014/04/23/obama-kicks-off-japan-trip-with-a-meal-at-jiros-sushi-restaurant/

"Accompanied by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and new US Ambassador Caroline Kennedy, plus national security adviser Susan Rice, Obama hit the basement sushi mecca Sukiyabashi Jiro in Tokyo’s hip Ginza district. ...

“That’s some good sushi right there,” Obama remarked as he left after 90 minutes."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  11. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit Forum Resident

My sister and niece just got back from Japan earlier this week and one of the major highlights was the meal at Jiro's. She took pictures with Jiro and his son. It cost $400 per person and they loved every bite. I am jealous!

12. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Enjoyed the movie. Interesting that he generally serves one piece at a time. I guess the truly high end shops do this.. maybe all Omakase style servings are done this way...
    According to many on Chowhound forums (think Hoffman forums for foodies.... lots of complainers and know-it-alls like us... ) - there are better places than this - consensus is it's overrated and overpriced.

13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I enjoyed the movie. I'd pay $400 for dinner at Jiro's.

Atmospheric likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Drinking on the job, Barack!

Wow. The movie never said how much it cost to eat there. $800 for a couple! It better be damn good sushi. Really, $400? I think I'd have to take a DBT before I'd commit to how great it is for that price.

15. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit Forum Resident

In the movie, when the kid goes in there to check out the restaurant, he was told in yen what prices start at. I remember googling yen to dollars and it was about $300 at the time. Jiro isn't driving a Rolls; the prices are driven by the cost of the top shelf ingredients.

16. Great doc, really enjoyed it.

Thought the father-son dynamic stuff was really interesting and actually could have been explored a little more.

Still, very good.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

True. Top tuna is expensive. after watching this film I went to a sushi restaurant and the rice was too cold. I am a student of Jiro.

mikeyt likes this.
  18. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I thought it interesting that coworker of mine felt the movie was "depressing," b/c she really latched onto that storyline. I think it's place in the movie is fine, though another doc about that relationship could be just as moving.

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Depressing? Well some parts were sad about his family. But his son loves his job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.