Joan Shelley s/t new album produced by Jeff Tweedy 5/5/17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rob68, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob68

rob68 Senior Member Thread Starter

A gem of an artist from Kentucky that I've been aware of for about 3 years now.

She seems to get better with each release. This is technically her 5th album.

Any fans here?

New album now streaming at NPR.

First Listen: Joan Shelley, 'Joan Shelley'

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I hate Jeff Tweedy and his boring production, but I'll give a listen because I know you think highly of her!

3. rob68

There's not even much production anyway. Just some light percussion and other touches here and there. She's probably too acoustic/folky for you but I know she has some other fans here. To me her voice (and lyrics) are like buttah! :D

4. pghmusiclover

Surprisingly I am enjoying this very much! I've listened to the NPR stream at least three times and I've ordered it from Amazon.

rob68 likes this.
  5. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I heard a song from this album a few days ago that I liked very much, and I just love her voice. I'm picking up either the CD or vinyl "assuming it's available" haven't decided which one yet.

rob68 and pghmusiclover like this.
  6. rob68

7. rob68

A really thoughtful statement and decision by Joan about sharing her music.

She really is pretty amazing, and not just as a music artist.

Joan Shelley

8. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Beautiful record, just got the vinyl today and I'm on the first of (I'm sure) many listens. Have been revisiting the last few albums a lot recently leading up to this, and she's building a pretty formidable discography, and this one is sounding very good too. Be fun to live with this one for awhile, and see where it goes. It's a beautiful recording, kind of a burnished glow about it, extending to the cover with her gold hair, and the gold lettering on the back, very classy package, and the vinyl is flat, centered and quiet. Uncut probably got this one right in their best of the year list, I can already see it being one of my year's best too. And only $10.55 via amazon marketplace, probably one of my best deals of the year too :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    rob68 likes this.
  9. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Over and Even was fabulous (perhaps it was the shock of the new) but listening to this new album on NPR when it was released and sound samples now it appears to be much of the same.
    Joan should try a new producer for her next album.

10. Davey

This was the first one she actually used a real producer, in this case Jeff Tweedy, and the songs did come soon after Over and Even was recorded so there is a lot of similarity, or maybe better described as continuity, but very good songs and performances, and I think it sounds great as evidenced by my post above yours.

While we're here though and talking about self-titled folk albums, have you heard the new album from The Weather Station? They are a Canadian folk band, mostly Tamara Lindeman, but much more in Joni Mitchell territory, so quite a bit more of what I would term production in the sound. This new record is really good, think it has shown up on a year end list or two, I know Uncut loved it and rated it very high.

11. rob68

I think she's moving toward less and less production these days.

You might like a couple earlier albums, Electric Ursa and Ginko, which have a little more.

12. rob68

Been playing her duet album with Daniel Martin Moore, Farthest Field, lately.

They're like the modern day Simon & Garfunkel. :D

13. Davey

Been listening to Electric Ursa today, such a beautiful record, could listen all day, and usually do. Had to pull myself away from listening over and over to the Broadcast The Future Crayon collection, but moving on now, and Joan feels pretty much just about right for the end of the week... and then on to Nina Nastasia The Blackened Air ... beautiful.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  14. Davey

This is still one of my favorites from last year, don't know how many times this has been streaming from my computer, or spinning on my turntable in the last few months, but it's a lot, and currently providing a very nice backdrop for a rainy Friday away from the office. Could get really used to this feeling ...

rob68 likes this.
  15. rob68

Haven't listened yet, but saw on Facebook that she has a new Bandcamp only covers EP.

All proceeds go to the Kentucky Waterways Alliance.

Joan Shelley

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  16. pghmusiclover

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Dok likes this.
  17. Davey

This self-titled release has turned into one of my favorite records of the last few years, one I can just play over and over, and some days that's just what I do. Incredible record, not sure I yet want to change that magical spell by listening to the new one, but sure I will before long. She really is a great artist.

18. pghmusiclover

19. Just ordered my copy. I really loved her self titled album and since I'm not a fan of Jeff Tweedy's production (at least not on his albums with Richard Thompson or Joan Shelley) I expect to like this album even more.

pghmusiclover likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.