Jodie Foster appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 905, Aug 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

1) I didn't notice the error
    2) You aren't a grammar cop. People make mistakes in life and you don't need to correct them. The world is imperfect. It is very annoying when people correct other people with spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes.
    3) Do you have any comments to add about Jodie Foster? Or did you already move on to police the next thread?

2. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Simply a great film.
    Lotsa' exuberance.

HenryH likes this.
  3. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

It was a comment about technology.

Already did.

4. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Consistently good. I also like the fact she keeps her life private for the most part. I don't believe she is even on social media. It keeps her mysterious but also the focus on her work.

905 likes this.
  5. slowhand1964

slowhand1964 A Tadpole in a Jar

Contact for sure. One of those movies I own that I watch a least once a year. I had read Sagan's book back in the 80s and I thought it was fantastic and man, what a great story. The film tells that story beautifully. The special effects/digital effects were first rate. Still tear up when she see's her "dad" at the end. The underlying themes make the movie more special, single parent family, the loss of a father, coexistence of science and religion....well done Jodie.

FACE OF BOE likes this.
  6. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The real "sleeper" in her filmography is Five Corners. That's Tim Robbin's best film too, IMO.

[​IMG]

HenryH and 905 like this.
  7. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I have not heard of this film, sounds interesting. I see George Harrison's name in the credits!

Lightworker likes this.
  8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

,,,and, his nemesis, Dennis O'Brien!

9. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The 'credits' song is from Rubber Soul. A Gen-X'er I screened it for called it a "rubber-suit monster movie"(!)
    Maybe the last act is...I can see that now. I like films that surprise me. There are several left-field moves here.

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I also loved her in the Hotel New Hampshire. Irving once said he felt the film was the closest to any of his visions of his books.

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I love that film. It's mostly the same cast and like Amelie is very rich visually with lots and lots of great memorable scenes and the same type of tricks like the flashbacks and so on and is a great mystery/thriller. I think it's pretty faultless and very moving in many ways but for some reason everyone has seen Amelie but no-one seems to have seen A Very Long Engagement. I guess Amelie fits a 'pop culture' type narrative better which makes it more well known, but for me both films are equal in terms of greatness.

Olompali likes this.
  12. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Doll face is one sure fire bad ass.
    Little doubt a third Best Actress Oscar awaits.
    Best Director too.

905 likes this.
  13. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I just looked on IMDB. She hasn't done much lately, but there's a current movie - 'Hotel Artemis'. Is anyone familiar with it?

905 likes this.
  14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Saw it...
    She's the only thing good in it...
    Everyone else is just going through the motions.

15. dougotte

It looks like Panic Room is finally getting a blu-ray release. What a brilliant thriller!

Michael, 905 and David Campbell like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Managed to see that as part of the Chicago International Film Festival and got to meet the director.

Olompali and Jim B. like this.
  17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Isn't that the film she willingly took on just so she could get some directing gigs in return?
    "Sure; hell, gimme a megaphone and one o' them folding Directors' chairs, and I'll look purty as a summer breeze...!"

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. 905

905 Senior Member Thread Starter

Cool, Little Man Tate is now free for Amazon Prime subscribers. :thumbsup:

The Hud likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

is it out yet?

20. dougotte

Sorry, Michael. Posts in the blu-ray.com forum first reported that it will be released, but either they were false, or the release was cancelled. I can't tell exactly.

Michael likes this.
  21. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

A wonderful film, all the quirkiness and humour of Amelie but with a far more emotional and pathos ridden story.

Jim B. and Olompali like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

O' OK, thanks for the info...I still have my 2 DVDs (Superbit & Special Edition)I guess they will suffice. : )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.