"Jodorowsky's Dune"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Judge Judy, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow. I just saw this documentary last night and my mind was pretty well blown.

For those who don't know, Alejandro Jodorowsky is a surrealist filmmaker who's often thought of as having made the first midnight cult movie, 1970's "El Topo." Depending on your perspective, that movie is either visionary brilliance or incoherent crap. In 1973 he got the rights to make an adaptation of "Dune," and this movie talks about the whole pre-production process that took place before the whole thing collapsed due to lack of money.

The people who were going to be involved in this film were Salvador Dali, Orson Wells and Mick Jagger, it was going to have music by Pink Floyd and Magma, and the set design was going to be done by the late, great HR Giger.

The movie was never made but even just watching the storyboards and design ideas was mind-boggling. The vision that Jodorowsky had for this was so expansive, so original and so elaborate that I don't know how they could even have made it, even with today's technology. But getting to see what could have been, and also getting to see what a possessed lunatic Jodorowsky is, was a spectacle in and of itself.

I highly recommend this movie, which is currently making the rounds in small theaters around the US. Seriously, see it if you get the chance.

2. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I plan to! I've been waiting for it to be local, but I'll definitely see it once it goes to video if I miss the theater run.

The trailer I saw looked awesome.

3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'd be really interested in seeing this. Hopefully it gets a DVD release in the future or shows up on YouTube.

4. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

I enjoyed the film. I can't help but thinking it's merciful that he never got to make "Dune" as it would've been a disaster on a few levels. For instance, I completely get why Jodorowsky went with Dan O'Bannon over Douglas Trumbull for VFX - but there would be no comparison on the end product. O'Bannon's work would have been dated within a few years when compared to Star Wars and Close Encounters. And the actors he lined up (Dali, Jagger, his own son) weren't exactly thesbians (Performance notwithstanding). From what I've read and watched about Jodorowsky, I often doubt his perception of events. Still, it makes a fascinating doc.

Mark

delmonaco likes this.
  5. Judge Judy

Oh, there would have been a ton of problems, for numerous reasons. I didn't like the Lynch version, but anyone who thinks Jodorowsky's version would have been more competently executed is looking through rose-colored glasses. And on a technical level it would have looked like "Dark Star," exactly as Jodo wanted.

At the same time I have a lot of respect for artists like him who have a vision and try to realize it, no matter how crazy it is. There's less emphasis on the technical aspects and more on the pure artistic impulse, and I just like the idea of that purity of vision, even if it's not practical and collapses under its own weight before it even gets to the production stage. "Dune" as directed by Jodo is probably much better as an unrealized idea than the reality would have been. I feel the same way about the Star Wars prequels, which was a much more powerful story before it was ever executed. Some things are better as ideas than as realities.

drasil, Mark Nelson, vince and 2 others like this.
  6. What year would this have fallen in? - in terms of Pink Floyd's (theoretical) contributions.

7. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'll look out for this doc. I love Jodorowsky. "Santa Sangre" is one of my favorite films of all time. I'm a big fan of "El Topo" and "Holy Mountain" as well. It's too bad he wasn't a more prolific filmmaker.

Claus LH, Grootna and T'mershi Duween like this.
  8. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

You'll probably know about this already, but just in case, here's the trailer for his new film....

Grootna likes this.
  9. Judge Judy

When they were talking to Pink Floyd about making the movie they were in the middle of mixing "Dark Side of the Moon."

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  10. Judge Judy

The whole story of Jodo approaching them to do the film was actually hysterically funny. In fact, most of the stories of how he got people to agree to be in the movie were pretty funny.

LEONPROFF and zobalob like this.
  11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

AWESOME

12. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Saw this in the theater a month or three ago and loved it. I agree that had it gone into production, it likely would have been closer to STARCRASH than a masterpiece,
    but it certainly would have been interesting!

13. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Saw this over the weekend on blu. Loved it. There is something infectous with Jodo's passion. One can't help but to get caught up too.

Judge Judy, drasil, LEONPROFF and 2 others like this.
  14. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

He's really inspiring in the film, basically coming out and saying that if you have a passion, fight for it and don't
    give up hope.

15. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I'm very interested to see this, but I lean toward those who find Jodorowsky's films to be incoherent crap. His strength from what I've seen is in staging interesting tableaux, and as a photographer I'm interested in the possibilities in telling a story this way, but feature length films without a strong narrative thread are generally very trying. His version of Dune, I suspect, would be more interesting to think about than to actually see.

delmonaco, LEONPROFF and Mark Nelson like this.
  16. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

The Dune books are my favorite literary works. Watched Jodorwsky's Dune three times already. I do think it would be amazing and better then Lynch's but I don't think I would have liked what he changed from the novel. I wished they would have gone through the book page by page on the blu-ray. They say there are only two copies of his book left. I wonder if Spielberg or Lucas also have a copy somewhere.

17. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Netflix has it on blu-ray, for those of you who still get discs.

mj_patrick and Scope J like this.
  18. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I saw this doc and was completely entertained! I would have liked his hippie-trippy take on Dune just fine.

19. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Looks like it's widely available to rent for $3.99 on streaming services as well.

http://www.canistream.it/search/movie/Jodorowsky's Dune

Rather than pay for the rental, I'm going to try and hold out for it to show up on a service I'm already subscribed to, though. (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, HBO, Xfinity, etc.)

Craig.

20. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

interesting, thx for the headsup I have never heard of this

21. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I read that Netflix has it now.

22. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

It's on cue :)

23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

So, now...wait; they're NOT selling this on DVD....Blu-Ray only???

24. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Doesn't appear so, but the Blu comes with a dvd... For what it's worth, I think it is worth it to shell out the few extra bucks.

25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

oh...ok... thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.