Joe Jackson 2015 tour and new album, "Fast Forward" (2nd October 2015)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by davmar77, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'... Thread Starter

I see a bunch of dates in the USA and Europe for the fall. Anyone heard what he's up to these days musically? His local date goes on sale Friday.

2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

He has seemingly been pretty cryptic about it. He has been talking about drummers and mentions working with Brian Blade and Stanton Moore on the new project.

Moore said this in a Feb. interview: Yes, I don’t know when it’s coming out but he’s doing four different sessions, four different sets of four songs, each recorded in a different city with different musicians. So it’s Berlin, Amsterdam, New York and New Orleans. here

Plus if these pics from Dec. and Jan. were from the process at least it might sound nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Just posted this on Facebook:

Big news today!

Joe will be releasing a new album Fast Forward on Oct 2nd and touring the US this fall. The tour kicks off September 29 and goes on-sale to the general public this Friday at 10am local time.

Listen to the new track "A Little Smile" at the link below...

Scotbot, julotto, alylemoss and 2 others like this.
  4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Thanks for posting this! I like this song, sounds like something from "Rain" or possibly "Night & Day". I would LOVE to see Joe live and I'll have to check the dates for the upcoming tour and see if he is playing anywhere nearby?

GLUDFSSR likes this.
  5. pghmusiclover

Still some additional information from Joe's webpage:

Big news today! Joe Jackson will be releasing a new album Fast Forward on Oct 2nd and touring the US this fall - playing new and old material, solo and with a new band. The tour kicks off September 29. Visit the Tour Section for a full listing of dates. (Note: there is a European tour in the works for early 2016 as well.)

Along with songs from the new project, the show will include songs from his entire career, including his most popular albums (Look Sharp, Night and Day). Jackson will be "his own opening act," starting the show with a short solo piano/vocal set before bringing on the full band. The show will also include a surprising cover version or two, which will change from night to night.

For this tour Jackson has reunited with longtime bassist Graham Maby, and added two distinguished and eclectic New York-based musicians, guitarist Teddy Kumpel and drummer Doug Yowell. "We're all strong singers," says Jackson, "and along with that and Teddy's diversity and mastery of effects, and Doug's use of electronic as well as live percussion, we'll sound like a lot more than four people. This tour is going to be a lot of fun - I can't wait."

Fast Forward was produced and arranged by Jackson, and features four sets of four songs recorded in four different cities – New York, New Orleans, Berlin and Amsterdam – each with a different set of incredible supporting musicians. You can listen to "A Little Smile" (a track from the Amsterdam sessions) on the JoeJackson.com homepage right now or by clicking Here.

SESSION 1: NEW YORK

Jackson has called New York home for many years. He recorded these tracks with Bill Frisell on guitar, Brian Blade on drums, his longtime bassist Graham Maby, and jazz violin star Regina Carter. Along with three originals including the album’s title track, these sessions also feature a cover of Television’s “See No Evil.”

SESSION 2: AMSTERDAM

Distinguished by the most diverse instrumentation of the four sessions, Jackson is joined on these songs by frequent collaborators Stefan Kruger and Stefan Schmid from the band Zuco 103, the Concertgebouw orchestra, and the project's only guest vocalist, 14-year-old Mitchell Sink (from the cast of the Broadway musical "Matilda.")

SESSION 3: BERLIN

Berlin is Jackson’s second home, and he recorded here with two expatriate American musicians: acoustic bass master Greg Cohen (Tom Waits, Ornette Coleman, Bob Dylan) and Tindersticks drummer Earl Harvin. These sessions produced the album’s second cover, Jackson's modern English take on the 1930s German 'Kabarett' song “Good Bye Jonny.”

SESSION 4: NEW ORLEANS

Jackson traveled to one of his favorite cities, New Orleans, to record with an all-local cast including three members of the funk band Galactic - drummer Stanton Moore, bassist Robert Mercurio, and guitarist Jeff Raines – and a horn section led by saxophonist Donald Harrison.

‘Fast Forward’ tracklist (all songs written by Joe Jackson unless noted)

New York

1. Fast Forward
    2. If It Wasn’t For You
    3. See No Evil (Tom Verlaine)
    4. Kings Of The City

Amsterdam

5. A Little Smile
    6. Far Away
    7. So You Say
    8. Poor Thing

Berlin

9. Junkie Diva
    10. If I Could See Your Face
    11. The Blue Time
    12. Good Bye Jonny (Peter Kreuder and Hans Fritz Beckmann)

New Orleans

13. Neon Rain
    14. Satellite
    15. Keep On Dreaming
    16. Ode To Joy

Davido likes this.
  6. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

I've seen Joe Jackson several times between 1989 and 2010 and can only recommend it to anyone. His shows are always interesting and full of musical surprises and great fun.

RoyalScam likes this.
  7. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. Despite being a long time fan I have never seen him live. Hopefully I can rectify that at one of the 2 NYC dates.

8. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Not wowed by that new track, but only one listen. I'll add to the folks re: his live shows. Never seen a bad one, and never the same one twice from tour to tour. A rare artist who rearranges his classic tunes and they're STILL great.

jupiter8 likes this.
  9. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

PUMPED! scored 4th row center to the Dallas show today. saw him in 2008 and have actually acquired all of his 90s-present stuff in the last few months and was just thinking about how much I wish he'd tour again.

also just read his book A Cure For Gravity. a really good read

Geee! likes this.
  10. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Glad to hear that Graham Maby is back touring with Joe Jackson. The new album sample doesn't sound bad either.

11. davmar77

Tickets go on sale tomorrow morning so I'll be on that. I've been seeing him since his first new York show in 1979. It was a secret warm up for the tour under the name densons shoes if I remember correctly. It was at a club in midtown called hurrah.

12. br6388

br6388 Forum Resident

Got my tickets to the November 2nd show at Thalia Hall in Chicago!:pineapple::pineapple:
    Last time I saw him was the Heaven and Hell tour.

13. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Got my tickets for LA yesterday, 6 row center.
    Have seen him on every tour he has done since 1989.

bigmikerocks likes this.
  14. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

got my seats for the DC stop. FYI, the Lincoln is a nice place to see a show.

15. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I'm going to the 1st night in Town Hall NYC.......front row of the balcony.

(I'd normally go the 2nd night too, but I'm starting a Europe vacation the following day)

16. Chris C

Anybody got that pre-sale code that they care to share with me, as I'd love to get good seats for the Pittsburgh show?

17. davmar77

LITTLESMILE

just ordered mine. :agree:

18. Chris C

THANK YOU!!!!

19. Chris C

I must have missed the pre-sale, as nothing comes up?

20. pghmusiclover

21. Bruce

Bruce Senior Member

No Florida dates,:(

22. davmar77

of course as soon as I placed my ticketmaster order I got an email from the venue about direct presale since I'm a member. I could have saved a few bucks, gotten a couple of rows closer and not had to deal with ticketmaster. oh well, at least I'm going.

23. Chris C

pghmusiclover likes this.
  24. pghmusiclover

Glad to help! I managed to get Row B on the Right Aisle this morning. I must have missed the pre-sale from Joe's site yesterday, but those are pretty good. I will warn you that the music hall is very old (built in 1898) and I swear the seats are the original wooden seats (unless you manage to get the very first 2 orchestra pit rows)! Generally it's a good place for concerts and the sound is decent --though the recent Beth Hart show there had some problems with her equipment and the hall power sources overloading, so that they weren't able to use the stage lights for the first handful of songs until they worked it out, but that was honestly the first time I've encountered that sort of issue while attending a show there!

25. Chris C

Oh boy, I sure hope that Joe doesn't read about this, as we all know that he doesn't like interruptions during a performance! So, as long as I can tolerate a bad back the next morning and no fires from a power grid overload, it should be a good show! I'm surprise that there isn't a fee from Ticketfly for personal insurance at the venue. :winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.