Joe Reagoso of Friday Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AudiophilePhil, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member Thread Starter

What do you think of the sound of Joe Reagoso's remastered albums on vinyls and CD's?
    Are they as good as MoFi or Steve and Kevin's remastered vinyls and Cd's?
    For those who own some Friday Music vinyls and CD's, how do you rate their sound compared to MoFi, DCC, Audio Fidelity, Classic Rec., Sundazed, Speaker Corner, etc.?

2. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Just heard his remaster of Renaissance Live At Carnegie Hall. Not compressed or no-noised but the amount of EQ tweaking was way too much for my taste. In a comparison with the same tracks from the old Sire comp Tales From 1001 Nights, his work was very disappointing. To say the new version sounded like it was hit with an equalizer set to stun would be an understatement. Most of the warmth in the signal was nowhere to be found. His mastering almost made it sound like an FM radio broadcast, but at least the dynamics were nice.

3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Initially I didn't care for his Procol Harum CDs on Friday (Grand Hotel, Exotic Birds)...may have to listen again and see.

4. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Very disappointed with Yes, Close to the edge

5. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

From the two titles I bought I thought they have a very contrasting mastering sound.

America S/T to me was a bit hype-up on the top end and upper middle range, make it sound somewhat synthetic and not organic. Yes on the other hand was smooth and flat, lag of dynamics and emotional involvement.

:shrug:

6. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Is this the same Joe Reagoso who worked A&R for RCA Records back in the 90's?

7. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I only have the Friday Music America vinyl. Listening to it inspired me to dig out my old early pressing. I much prefer the original. I thought the Friday Music LP almost sounded digitally sourced. I sent the company an inquiry regarding the mastering, but never received a response.

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I have "Come Taste the Band" It has too much high end on the drums. The hi-hat is real bad. I have not heard other stuff.

9. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you who have responded.

I'm asking because it's very tempting when I saw Friday Music CD's and vinyls in a local store in San Diego area.
    I have seen his new CD remastering of Blood, Sweat & Tears 4 and Christopher Cross' two-fer in a local store.
    There's also half-spped mastered vinyls of Boz Zcaggs' first album and the Doobie Brothers' Minute By Minute.

10. art

art Senior Member

Right. But Joan Jett's Pure is really good.

11. jcs

jcs Member

The 1994 'David Lee Roth - Your Filthy Little Mouth' that Joe remastered is much improved over George Marinos original mastering, WAY more clarity overall imo.

Gus Tomato likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.