Joe Walsh songs during Eagles concerts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DaveTheRave, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Plus one particular Mojo Nixon song as an encore. That would be just about perfect.

Sean, bagofsoup and longaway like this.
  2. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I have an Eagles show from 1977 where they do the James Gang's Funk 49...

Fullbug likes this.
  3. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Exactly. I have to be honest and say that Joe Walsh was the only reason I went to go see the Eagles in 1978. I probably would have passed if it was just The Eagles. I may have gone, but Joe sealed the deal with me. Hearing his songs with that band made it so much more worth the price and I enjoyed the concert so much more because of Joe's songs peppered in with the other Eagles songs. Joe was "the missing piece" for me, or at least he elevated them to a much higher level than I had ever thought of them. I enjoyed their singles, and the only album I ever bought of theirs was Hotel California.

4. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Joe has great songs. They were lucky to get him into the band. It was a great situation for everyone. The Eagles picked up his guitar skills and back catalog, and Joe picked up a nice paycheck.

5. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

My favorite part of the Hell Freezes Over Tour was hearing the solo material as performed by um, "Eagles".

I'm a Joe Walsh fan, so I could handle half the evening being his stuff.

J_D__ likes this.
  6. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I saw the same tour and found it boring--until Joe Walsh took the spotlight. And trust me: I'm not that much of a fan. A welcome relief.

J_D__ and freditor like this.
  7. Is there a current (any) CD with Joe's solo version of "In the City"? I only have it on the Dutch cassette of the "Warriors" soundtrack.

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If by the first two configurations you mean the Yer Album lineup and the Rides Again/Thirds lineup, if I recall right the bassist from Yer Album Tom Kriss passed away recently.

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

More of an Eagles fan than a Joe Walsh fan, but I felt the Joe Walsh solo material was the highlight of the HFO tour. These were the only points where the show got at all animated, musically or physically. The rest of it was basically listening to an Eagles record which watching some guys that looked like their dads alternately stand still and sit down.

HAmmer and Mike Visco like this.
  10. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I was referring to the Glenn Schwartz lineup and the Joe Walsh lineup , which really weren't technically the first two linups, there were two previous ( I think two, may have been 3), but far as I know the Schwartz and Walsh lineups were the first to gain any notoriety.
    And , if I remember right, the first JW lineup had more than 3 guys, but I was referring to them as a 3 piece and the 5 piece Schwartz.

11. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

From this month's Tape Op digital issue, an interview with Bill Scymczyk, great reading about the Eagles and Joe.

http://tapeop.com/interviews/103/bill-szymczyk/

(You may have to subscribe, it's free and they send the digital and/or the mailed print magazine, free.)

12. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

My first Eagles concert was in Frankfurt, Germany, just after Hotel California came out. After opening with HC, Henley said "Hello, we're the Eagles from Los Angeles. And This is our friend, Joe Walsh." Walsh immediately tore into the intro to "Walk Away". It was the single best moment of a very good concert.

head_unit likes this.
  13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Ya know, I can picture that, and believe it was the best moment. Were you a Joe Walsh fan already? It must have been at least a bit of surprise to hear them do his solo stuff.

Mark B. likes this.
  14. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

All the band songs are done verbatim to script. Joe's are completely open to improv. That said I'm not really a fan of any of his solo songs, but going to an Eagles concert is just slightly removed from listening to a record, other than Walsh's songs.

15. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Yes, I was into Walsh at the time, having worn out an 8-track of James Gang "In Concert" as well as thinking "Rocky Mt. Way" was one of the greatest songs ever. I think what surprised me most was how early in the set they played it. I was only 17 or 18 at the time, so I thought it was just great.

16. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

:laughup:

17. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I saw them on the Long Run tour and they did Rocky Mountain Way, Turn To Stone and Life's Been Good.

Say It Right likes this.
  18. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Yes, and Henley did some blurring with his comments on the Farewell I DVD docu when he said the solo songs would have been Eagles songs anyway.

Slokes likes this.
  19. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It wasn't out of line for them to perform "In the City" since it was on The Long Run, which the tour was supporting. Had seen them on that tour and they definitely did "In the City," but this was so long ago, it's impossible to remember many details if they did other Joe songs that night. It's very possible that "Life's Been Good" was an encore, but drawing blanks.

20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I'm not surprised they did Walsh songs. They're great songs. Plus the dude didn't have the history in the band like the other members so it even upped his portion in the show.

21. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Walsh songs are the only ones as I recall that allowed any degree of improvisation in it, the rest were done verbatim to the records.

22. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

23. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Saw the Eagles on 10/16/1979 and Joe's songs sent the entire affair to another level. I will never forget it..

24. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

They also did "All Night Long', which is on their live album

25. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I agree. At last night's Bossier City show, they played "In the City", "Life's Been Good", and "Funk #49" right before the encore, and it worked great. Walsh's material is snarlier, grittier, and has more macho swagger. It brings the energy level up at the end of the concert just as his addition to the band gave the Eagles albums a more harder-rocking kick in their easy-listening pants.

J_D__ and footlooseman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.