John Carpenter/Prince Of Darkness

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by averica, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma Thread Starter

just saw this yesterday..interesting concepts with just a bit of 80's cheese .doesnt seem to get talked about a lot but still worth a viewing. and Donald Pleasence is always a presence(unintentional rhyme there).any fans of this film and its' Satanic green goo????

2. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

Yes, I saw it for the first time shortly after Scream Factory released it on blu-ray and I loved it. But, then again, I love most Carpenter films. Damn, what a run he had from Assault on Precinct 13 through In the Mouth of Madness! Anyone else think that Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness have strong Lovecraft vibes?

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I don't think I ever saw In the Mouth of Madness, but yes, I agree that there is a Lovecraftian feel to Prince of Darkness.

I personally love this film, although it's not as tight or as technically accomplished as The Thing and Halloween. Nice to see some love for it here.

Too bad John Carpenter and Dario Argento both went down the crapper at roughly the same time. At least John Carpenter knew when to quit.

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'm a Carpenter fan and I really like it. Not quite as great as his other 80s films but still very good, very interesting, with some great sequences.

Karnak likes this.
  5. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma Thread Starter

followed it up with Village Of The Damned...seems Carpenter himself saw this as a "contractual obligation" type thing...wasnt bad..notable for being the last film of Christopher Reeve before his unfortunate accident.and hey, Luke Skywalker as a priest!:angel:

6. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

They sure do, especially the latter. I wish more movies explored that vibe. It's certainly a more profound and intellectual horror than the slasher/torture vein of recent years.

Derek Slazenger and DorothyV like this.
  7. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Carpenter comes up with interesting ways of setting up the premise. He did it in They Live, too. That film, Prince of Darkness, and several other of his works have been among my go-to SciFi/Horror films for decades. His work is generally more on the level of, say... Total Recall, as opposed to Rosemary's Baby or The Birds... but he's pretty darned good at what he does.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  8. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

his commentary track is fun to listen to...see you at the movies!

9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Same with The Thing.

10. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I haven’t seen the movie since it’s release, which I saw in the theater. My recollections of it was that it was pretty disappointing overall, considering it was a John Carpenter film, but there was one scene that I recall being pretty creepy: the scene where the camera is slowly panning around to finally show a silhouette of the Devil. Other than that, I don’t remember too much about the movie.

11. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

It was flawed only because of the lead, Jameson Parker, he just weren't up to the level of the other actors in the film and couldn't carry water as the lead. Other than that, i enjoy it.

12. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

In "In The Mouth of Madness" it's more than vibes, it's intentional. Sutter Cane is superficially Stephen King, but his "mythos" is all Lovecraft. There's also names and places in the film taken from Lovecraft's stories.

Chrome_Head and DorothyV like this.
  13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I think it’s a solid movie—it takes a long time to get going, but the implications by the end are haunting (the scene with the guy talking on the lawn was eerie also).

And Alice Cooper as one of the street thugs!

Great movie, haven’t seen it in forever. My favorite Carpenter movie is most likely the original The Fog.

14. Jerk The Handle

...And of course I forgot the obvious connection - the movie's title :facepalm:

My earliest memory of "The Fog" was from a damaged VHS tape recording, I could barely see anything from the noise - which made the scene where
    one of the undead sailor's silhouette is seen knocking on the door and then stepping away
    and the scenes
    at the coroner's office
    even creepier. I must've been around 6-7 then.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  15. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I only saw PRINCE OF DARKNESS once when it played on HBO. I think I taped it, but have never revisited it. One of the hallmarks of those old HBO tapes is that I'd hate the thought of trying to watch one on today's equipment. Nevertheless, I also hate throwing out something without a better version to replace it.

I remember thinking it was a pretty good movie, that Donald Pleasance was as good as ever, and I recall something about the climax taking place in a church.

16. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

If I had to rank John Carpenter's 1980s films, I'd put Prince of Darkness last. It's never been one of my favourites.

17. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Let's pretend he didn't make Memoirs Of An Invisible Man.... hard to find these days, disheartening to watch, and a catalogue of wasted opportunities. Though Madness was the last truly classic film he ever made.

Jerk The Handle likes this.
  18. Jerk The Handle

I saw Ghosts of Mars a few years ago and it was ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.