John Coltrane - The Atlantic Years (In Mono) 6CD & 6LP box sets coming in 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sassi, Mar 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sassi

sassi Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

John Coltrane

The Atlantic Years (In Mono) (2016)
    Format: LPS

Šifra: 081227946401

LPA GIANT STEPS

1. Giant Steps
    2. Cousin Mary
    3. Countdown
    4. Spiral
    LPB GIANT STEPS

1. Syeeda’s Song Flute
    2. Naima
    3. Mr P.C.
    LPC BAGS & TRANE (WITH MILT JACKSON)

1. Bags & Trane
    2. Three Little Words
    3. The Night We Called It A Day
    LPD BAGS & TRANE (WITH MILT JACKSON)

1. Be-Bop
    2. The Late Late Blues
    LPE OLE COLTRANE

1. Olé
    LPF OLE COLTRANE

1. Dahomey Dance
    2. Aisha
    LPG COLTRANE PLAYS THE BLUES

1. Blues To Elvin
    2. Blues To Bechet
    3. Blues To You
    LPH COLTRANE PLAYS THE BLUES

1. Mr. Day
    2. Mr. Syms
    3. Mr. Knight
    LPI THE AVANT-GARDE (WITH DON CHERRY)

1. Cherryco
    2. Focus On Sanity
    LPJ THE AVANT-GARDE (WITH DON CHERRY)

1. The Blessing
    2. The Invisible
    3. Bemsha Swing
    LPK THE COLTRANE LEGACY

1. 26-2
    2. Original Untitled Ballad
    3. Untitled Ballad
    LPL THE COLTRANE LEGACY

1. Centerpiece
    2. Stairway To The Stars
    3. Blues Legacy
    LPM MY FAVORITE THINGS 7” SINGLE

1. My Favorite Things Part I.
    LPN MY FAVORITE THINGS 7” SINGLE

1. My Favorite Things Part II

While John Coltrane first gained attention for his revolutionary ‘sheets of sound’ technique, it was the deep spirituality of his music that really made his recordings as a bandleader such classics. The albums this giant of music recorded for Atlantic in 1959 and 1960 really represent the heart of his legacy.

John Coltrane’s life will be the subject of a new documentary (tentative title: Chasin’ Trane), out later this year, and now, for the first time since their original release, this box set gathers his mono recordings from the Atlantic vaults.

Packaged in an elegant cloth-bound box. Fully remastered in glorious mono. Original studio albums in glossy tip-on LP sleeves, replicating the original artwork and labels. Giant Steps (1960), Bags & Trane (1961) with Milt Jackson, Ole Coltrane (1962), Coltrane Plays The Blues (1962), The Avant Garde (1966) with Don Cherry. One LP of outtakes and a replica of the original ‘My Favorite Things Part I & II’ 7” single, a hit for John Coltrane in 1961. A 12” x 12”, 32-page, perfect-bound booklet, with period photos by Lee Friedlander and liner notes. Liner notes by Grammy-winning jazz writer Ashley Kahn.

[​IMG]

I just noticed my local store had listed these on their site. Coming in June 2016. I hope the vinyl will be AAA. Does anyone here have any more information about this? :)

2. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Are any of the "Heavyweight Champion" box in mono?

3. JustLust

JustLust Well-Known Member

From the description, this thing has the potential to be great. Very happy to hear they'll be issued with the glossy tip-on jackets.

Simon A, RiRiIII, cds23 and 2 others like this.
  4. sassi

I wonder who has done the remastering on these. I hope we find some familiar initials in the dead wax.

The tip-on jackets sound promising indeed. :)

5. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I have the following recent Atlantic stereo LP's Giant Steps, My Favourite Things, Plays The Blues and Jazz, all pressed at Optimal and cut all analogue by Bernie Grundman, so here's hoping Bernie did the same with these.

6. sassi

I have those same records too. Except Giant Steps. They sound very good. Let us hope these are done by Mr. Grundman also. :)

rxcory and hodgo like this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

8. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    sassi likes this.
  9. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

awesome.

10. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

The goodies keep coming.

pscreed likes this.
  11. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Oh man, what great news to wake up to! Please please please be analog cuts. Sorry, wallet.

hishou, sassi, hodgo and 1 other person like this.
  12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have no problem with the stereo versions of these albums. What is the compelling reason to get these in mono?

joshm2286, Albireo, Waylon9 and 3 others like this.
  13. moops

moops Senior Member

14. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

FWIW, a high res download for the mono Giant Steps has been available on HDTracks and Pono for a couple of years. All 24/192 except for "Countdown", which is 24/44.1. I'm guessing that there were issues with this track that prevented a fresh transfer from the original master tape but I could be wrong.

Anyway, unless a new source for Giant Steps has been located I would suspect that the new LP will be mastered from the same HD transfers.

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I find most the time I prefer jazz in stereo. Sounds more like a band to me. More lush also. Rock n Roll mono vs stereo is more complicated. Not so much with jazz. There are a few such as My Favorite Things , Time Out I prefer in mono.

The big question is: Are these dedicated mono mixes?

Edit: Looks like Atlantic Coltrane is dedicated mono.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wonder why they didnt include the whole "My Favorite Things" album?

17. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

The Grundman Stereo Rhino Giant Steps was very bad indeed to my ears I got shot of it straight away. Atlantic reissue ATL 50 239 That's Jazz No9 (silver cover) is what I play.

crispi likes this.
  18. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

I had the same opinion of that BG Giant Steps. I did a shoot out with my early 70s Atlantic reissue and it was much better than the Rhino.

Simon A and crispi like this.
  19. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

That is sounds exactly the same as my situation. Funnily enough the Atlantic Studio Album Collection I got from iTunes sounds bloody good too when there is no turntable within reach.

20. canyelles

canyelles Forum Resident

Or "Coltrane Jazz" or "Coltrane's Sound"

aoxomoxoa and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  21. Mabel Smith

Mabel Smith Well-Known Member

I agree they should've included My Favorite Things in this set. I have the original mono pressing in nm condition & it sounds fantastic!

2xUeL likes this.
  22. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Wow, I read those links and got excited about picking this up on CD, as I can't stand the Atlantic stereo mixes (with none or barely anything panned to the center channel) and I didn't have a clue that dedicated monos exist. But for them to not include MFT? Any explanation anyone can think of?

23. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Maybe the Mono tapes are less used and better taken care of than the stereo tapes, and will have a more revealing sound. The Beatles Mono vinyl box set was great, and the recent Surrealistic Pillow from MFSL was terrific too. I prefer stereo, but happy to enjoy Mono when its a better source. Most classic jazz recordings are not multi-tracked and multi-overdubbed. With just a few instruments in a small jazz quartet or quintet, Mono can sound really good.

24. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

No. (Unless you are talking about the bonus outtakes on the CD box.)

25. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

"My Favorite Things" and "Giant Steps" were both released in mono by Atlantic Japan. To give a little bit of info here: both mono and stereo mixes were done and both should still exist. The multitracks were lost in a warehouse fire in the '70s, so we're only left with the vintage mixes, for better or worse.

If do feel that the mono mixes are not that good, unfortunately. For all of their wonkiness, the stereo mixes still pack more punch and realism, the monos in comparison sound a bit too boxed-in and dull. I've heard both Japan discs I mentioned above and some of the original mono LPs, that's what I'm basing my impressions on.

We'll see how this box turns out, but personally I wouldn't expect miracles.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Byrdsmaniac and Maggie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.