John Coltrane - The Atlantic Years (In Mono) 6CD & 6LP box sets coming in 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sassi, Mar 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Seems as though the individual release is identical in every way to the ones in the boxset. One last detail to confirm though - plain paper inner sleeve? (Still irks me that they didn't use poly lined inners for the boxset.)

0476pearljam likes this.
  2. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Yes plain paper. Already been replaced, I bought a bunch of quality lined ones so I am not to fussed. It is a minor issue that is easily solved for next to no cost.

0476pearljam likes this.
  3. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

It does seem odd them paying to print an extra colour copy print out of the sleeve and placing it inside rather than one quality record inner/liner. Glad they did though as now I have the choice of Coltrane artwork for my walls.

4. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

The images on Discogs are the same as what I bought yesterday. Maybe the US one is printed/pressed in Germany so the EU pressing is Also the US pressing.
    Who knows

5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

FWIW I was looking at a couple in my local shop, I think Ole and another, and they were sturdy type sleeves which very much looked like tip-on jackets (I couldn't tell 100% without taking the shrink off) so I think the UK stock at least is like this.

garrincha likes this.
  6. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Yes I mentioned this way upthread in my original review. It would've cost them about 10 cents more per record for polylined inners. I also didn't understand including the insert, which is just the same as looking at the album jacket... but like you said, it could be framed or hung on a wall.

They are all pressed at Optimal in Germany.

Tuck1977 likes this.
  7. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

As I said earlier have also looked at a shop this monday (ole and giant steps), but very quick, my remembering is they were non tip-on and non very thick but well glossy..; The contributions above clarify the things and it is now pretty sure they are the same in the US as in europe and they are also the same matrix number in the dead wax as in the box... so it's not a blind purchase anymore for me, thanks to you guys

8. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

If Rhino can can manage quality jackets like this why can't so many other labels.

9. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

As several of us have mentioned in the thread, the jackets ARE tip-on, the ones from the boxset anyway. Might be hard to tell if the single releases are in shrink, as there isn't much over-lap between the glossy front part and back non-glossy pasted on part. My terminology might be confusing and incorrect. Hard to get a good picture, but here it is:
    [​IMG]

Jim B., FashionBoy, sassi and 3 others like this.
  10. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

11. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

My,,,that is peanuts indeed, I paid £22 from my local indie store. I would rather get stuff from him to support the cause. I still use Amazon too.

12. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Nice picture...it's strange as I looked this monday and I didn't saw the jacket to be like that, but, as you said, it was under the shrink...I will go to the shop tomorrow as lunch break and report back...

13. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Anyone one Amazon UK Prime I just noticed the box set is £44 for another 4 hours, a real bargain.

smartiepants likes this.
  14. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

:tiphat: Why thank you sir

the Ray Charles mono one is there as well but not such a bargain at £60

15. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Wish I read this earlier :-(

Dubmart likes this.
  16. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Was just playing Giant Steps Mono vinyl really enjoying this reissue.

17. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Decided to go for it as wanted it for a few months as only have crappy generic digipac cd re-issues of these (although they sound quite nice). Coltrane price was excellent; but already have nice old vinyl copies of most of them as well as The Heavyweight Champion box.

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Cheapness

19. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I ate a hot dog.... it tasted real good

20. scotto

scotto Senior Member

OK, so what's the verdict on the recently released "Giant Steps" mono vinyl sound/mastering?
    A. Nothing special
    B. Pretty neat, but the stereo's better
    C. Awesome--a must-have if you love "Giant Steps."
    ...which I do, but have had originals and a few reissues, and none seemed to have the magic these performances deserve. I'm hoping the mono comes through. Thanks in advance.

21. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

C if you have a mono cart

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

sjaca and Hail Vinyl! like this.
  23. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

C but I find the rest of the box not up to the usual Rhino standards

24. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Thanks all for the responses. Looks like my want list gets healthier...

25. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

just wondering what the general consensus on this boxset is, now the dust has settled a bit? I'm considering the vinyl set, but having read this thread, there are a number of issues folks have raised, which concerns me a little bit.

cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.