John Coltrane - The Atlantic Years (In Mono) 6CD & 6LP box sets coming in 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sassi, Mar 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I don't think these are quality jackets. Okay, they are made from thick cardboard. But the printing quality is way below average with real blurry images and text.

2. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

If you are only buying Keven Gray mastered records or similar or if you super obsessed that there may be a digital step and that's the end of the world for you, then dont buy it. If you want a really good well mastered record ( comparable to Japanese Toshiba's) that is full bodied detailed and better then most reissues except for the absolutely top level masters like KG then buy it. These are just my humble ears perspective, yours may hear more.

In terms o the jackets they are thick cardstock, quality tip-on paper backs, print quality 7.5 out of 10 for me, but because of the tip on jacket with thick card stock they are overall one of the best reissue covers Ive seen except for the AP or MM jazz labels which is an entirely different level, which these are nowhere near. So top of the second tier if you will....

On the negative side I picked up Ole the other day and all 3 copies were heavily flawed, but Giant steps was absolutely perfect, flat noise free centered etc... So beware of pressing flaws with the individual releases which are just out.

Tuck1977 likes this.
  3. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I don't care for AAA vinyl and buy quite a lot of japanese LP reissues. I was only referring to the artwork quality. The sound is very good, actually. Have a look at the 'Coltrane plays the Blues' cover. Looks like a bad scan from a CD sized cover. And the Liner notes on the back are blurred to. Japanese reissues have had better artworks for decades and they certainly didn't have access to original photos.

4. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Sounds like maybe they scanned the CD images and blew them up. Odd, someone should have had access to high res images.

5. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I don't have the Blues lp. I just bought the 2 I referred to so maybe there is varying printing quality

6. scotto

scotto Senior Member

OK, have had the recent mono "Giant Steps" for awhile now and am loving it. This one has a lot of slam and clarity that other versions I've had lacked. Finally!

Fender Relic likes this.
  7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I got it recently and am enjoying it - it sounds really good. Found an original mono of Favorite Things too. There's more analogue immediacy to the tone of his sax on that but to find all originals in great shape would probably cost a fortune. I think it's a really good sounding box.

Defrance and Tuck1977 like this.
  8. I received my copy of the mono Giant Steps a few days ago. Here you can get an idea of how it sounds at home:

9. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

I decided to pick up the CD set of this box since Giant Steps hasn't had a proper remaster in ages that I can find, and I wanted to hear how the mono set goes.

I honestly think Giant Steps is worth it alone from what I have heard. It gets to be too much for me too with trane in the left ear almost totally with drums in the right ear. In mono this album is honestly amazing, and it gives an entirely new perspective to the recording.

10. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Man the more I think about this the more it sucks that the monos were lost for those 3. I was listening to My Favorite Things and while I can do it, the record just has a weird vibe with that stereo.

I feel like I'm tripping out in some nightclub with people on the opposite sides of my vision or something, like I'm sitting between them. Love the music. Weird stereo.

Is it possible they can remix these for new stereo like Miles Davis? That would be sweet.

11. chacha

I've seen original monos for this in the Bay Area recently for around $15. Sounds really good (except for piano overload).

12. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Anybody else with the CD set have kind of a somewhat poorly configured Giant Steps artwork on the cardboard? On the left side they clearly folded some of the white beyond the red border, and the right side has too thin of a border. Only Coltrane Plays the Blues has a slight border problem like this, but it's kind of really damn annoying to be honest. Any album but Giant Steps. Thinking about trying a new set out. Not happy at all they didn't test this more. Either that or I just got one really unlucky Giant Steps cardboard case.

I'm not usually too picky about some things, but the border issue really stands out and gives a cheap quality to the product. You would have thought they would have nailed the packaging for this considering GS is the MAIN album in this set. This is why I don't really like these tiny cardboard cases like this. Cheap as hell. Looking around I see this border issue on a few other issues of this album. Not sure how prevalent it is, but I assume more so as the print area on the side is so small and thin.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Chris Bernhardt and Mr. Explorer like this.
  13. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

I just checked my set and have none of the problems you describe. My Giant Steps is perfect. I checked all of the albums and they are fine.

Curious. Where did you get your set?

(Edit).. I have not been following this thread. Apparently there are concerns with the cheapness of the sleeves. I just got out a desk lamp and magnifying glass and checked all of my sleeves and they really look good. I don’t think they look cheap at all. Interesting.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Mr. Explorer likes this.
  14. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Finally are all booklets missing a paragraph?

15. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

My set was from rarewaves on ebay I think. It was sealed, and the others ones are mostly fine.

The border stands out because Giant Steps has that red border. It is clear they make the red border larger on the right side as it tucks under the side to allow coverage. The problem was however the print was folded created a white area, almost where the title of Giant Steps is, that creeps onto the front of the disc creating a small space on the front before right red border. This in turn creates a too thin red border on the red side. It's something I am definitely unhappy enough about to bitch and return it.

In one photo of this set I actually did see this same problem. I think I will try an order from Amazon.

Print quality on Giant Steps looks a tad too orange to me, other wise it isn't too bad or anything.

16. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

What the hell lol? Really? I will have to check this too. Which paragraph?

17. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

check here - I have asked rhino but they replied that they do not have the missing portion...:

18. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

Um. Just listening to the Rhino mono release of Giant Steps on LP for the first time and it is the most palpable, most present version I've heard. I've only ever had this on a CD release that I would have picked up in the mid-90s, and this is so much better it's giving me chills.

19. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

I'm following it up with an original stereo pressing of My Favorite Things and it's not as good as the Giant Steps reissue. Obviously it's an apples to oranges comparison, but the percussive quality of the drums and piano just don't feel as distinct.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. chacha

Try to find an original mono of this. I’ve found a couple recently in decent shape for around $15. The mix is really good though the piano sounds s bit distorted at times .

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Just got the Bags and Trane stand-alone mono today, Giant Steps arrives tomorrow. Wow, really happy with the sound and pressing. Flat and quiet before I’ve given it a spin clean. Do all the records come with the insert of the front and back cover? Not really clear why that’s included but a fine extra if you want to frame it o guess

Bananas&blow, cds23 and Mogens like this.
  22. chacha

Yeah I don’t really get it either. Has anyone here actually framed theirs?

23. Yeah let’s now complain that they are giving us too much :tiphat:

I kid.

24. chacha

Corporate Apologist
    :nyah:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Mr. Explorer and Mazzy like this.
  25. :tiphat:

Mr. Explorer and chacha like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.