John Coltrane vinyl reissues on Rhino 2010

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

e.s. likes this.
  2. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Just picked this up off Amazon. Nice price for the quality.

3. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

What the cheapest place to get the Coltrane Rhino LPs right now?Any links appreciated.

4. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Another vote for Giant Steps, bought it from Amazon very cheaply and i'm impressed with the quality of the vinyl and jacket.

5. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Listening to the My Favorite Things on RTI pressing by Rhino. Very nice pressing, it's missing maybe a little bit of the "air" but everything else sounds nice IMO. I used the High EQ on my Luxman Integrated and bumped it up a tad.

6. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I picked up a used copy of the BG Rhino vinyl of My Favorite Things. Is this remixed? Comparing a '70s pressing to this one, the bass is moved to the right on the Rhino; you can barely hear it in the left channel. On the '70s pressing it's perhaps slightly right of center but still very audible in the left channel.

(one caveat: I just had to move my turntable and have not yet verified that I have the L-R channels in the right place, so this info could be reversed from reality, but you hopefully get the idea.)

7. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Just bumping this to see if anyone else has noticed this. Comparing the BG cut Rhino to a '70s AT/GP again this morning, and I was not imagining it. The bass is panned way to one side on the Rhino as compared to the '70s pressing.

8. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

I've noticed some odd panning on these Atlantic Coltrane albums in general. I have yet to pick up a 2010 Rhino, tho I'd be interested in hearing of any mix differences. I wonder if the original ones weren't 100% left/right and these are?

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

10. blackearth

blackearth Well-Known Member

I always seem to find EU Rhino pressings in my country of My Favorite Things. These are pressed at Optimal so I wonder if they sound good. Packaging doesn't seem to be as high quality as the US version, and tbh I don't to wait around until I find an RTI copy with a "slick" cardboard and all that. Tempted to buy since they are pretty cheap and AAA, the runouts between the US and EU versions seem to be exactly the same according to Discogs. Dunno if it was "remixed", has anyone compared it to an original press?

11. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

I have that 2010 Grundman My Favourite Things. Sounds great, not quite up to the level of a Tone Poet or even an Impulse Coltrane title done to similar standards. Nothing to do with poor mastering, just the Atlantic recordings wasn't as good fidelity wise. Packaging is great.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  12. les3201

les3201 Forum Resident

Just received and listened to the Rhino Coltrane’s Sound . Has RTI/Grundman/analogue hype sticker. Jacket is tip-on and vinyl is 180 grams. I had never heard this release before today. It was apparently recorded in 1960 and released in 1965 (after JC was on Impulse). A really nice (for an Atlantic jazz release) sounding recording/pressing with minimal/acceptable vinyl noise. Record is reasonably flat with poly jacket and BG is in the deadwax on both sides. The playing is great and the song Equinox (Side 2, track 2) is definitely a foreshadowing of what is to come during the Impulse recordings. This is currently available from Acoustic Sounds for $16. I am completely happy with it !

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    PBo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.