John F. Kennedy and his listening habits

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mechanical Man, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I seem to remember reading somewhere that JFK played Brubeck's Time Out a lot.

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

And he did listen to Vaughn Meader's First Family more than once. He thought it was hilarious.

Myke likes this.
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Me too.

JimC likes this.
  4. tdgrnwld

tdgrnwld Forum Resident

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

"Camelot" was a myth. You can watch the myth making take hold just days after his assassination. People like myths, and with the principal deceased, it is easy to form and hold one. But the whole idea that there was this brief, bright, shiny moment in the White House is...just myth making.

ARK likes this.
  6. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

That'd be my guess, kind of like how George Bush was always telling anyone who would listen that he loved country music. It's not impossible that he really did - I do, and I'm also from New England and Ivy-educated - but I always found that hard to believe.

7. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

8. bodine

bodine Senior Member

9. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

This might be circumstantial evidence of what he liked--Bennett & Brubeck, The White House Sessions, Live 1962-- a CD I just picked up a few days ago.

According to Allmusic.com: Since both were performing their own sets at the White House Seminar American Jazz Concert on the Sylvan Theater grounds on August 28, 1962, Tony Bennett and Dave Brubeck decided to perform an impromptu collaborative set together that day, and although one song from it was eventually released, a version of "That Old Black Magic," the rest of the hour-or-so-long tape ended up lost in the vast Sony catalog vault, filed, as it turned out, with several classical tapes, until it surfaced again shortly after Brubeck's death in 2012.

This doesn't mean JFK actually listened to these guys during his down time, but maybe. Another poster said he liked Brubeck, so the invitation to the White House probably reflects his tastes.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  10. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Didn't Louis Prima and Keely Smith perform at Kennedy's Inaugural celebration? Perhaps a bit of a stretch to think that he requested them as the entertainment, but I believe they did perform. Also Pablo Casals performed at the White House in the Kennedy era though that was most likely a Jackie thing.........
    ---------- Chris

11. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

everything that was on his ipod

12. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

Love that 800B

13. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

14. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Why a stretch? They were huge, and the definitive Vegas act.

15. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Oh, well only because I don't know the answer definitively, but you are correct - they were riding the wave of popularity at the time. I think there is footage of the event as well. Fun stuff!
    ---------- Chris

16. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I think Keely loses her balance at one point and Louis yells, "careful!"

Urban Spaceman likes this.
  17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

He had time for music?

Meddle likes this.
  18. bresna

bresna Senior Member

John F. Kennedy is supposed to have been a huge Dexter Gordon fan too. He had the first Jazz performance in the White House.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  19. Another Garland/Kennedy photo:

[​IMG]

20. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Paul Winter performed a command performance for the Kennedys (a recording of which was released on the Count Me In compilation). Cellist Pablo Casals also performed for JFK at the White House.

Here's an article you might be able to use for your project from the Journal of the White House Historical Association, describing these performances and the Kennedys' relationship to the arts: http://issuu.com/whhapubl/docs/issue_14_full/48

21. [​IMG]

22. Terry

Terry Senior Member

The boycott was threatened in the Deep South due to the burgeoning Civil Rights movement. Bizarre.

JimC likes this.
  23. More:

[​IMG]

24. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

I think one of his comments was that Vaughan sounded more like Bobby.

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Meader’s spoof of the Kennedy family made him rich and popular. There were write-ups in Time, Life, and Newsweek, appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show, and bookings in Las Vegas and in clubs around the country. The president himself commented on Meader’s impersonation. Asked at a press conference whether he was annoyed by the comedy album, JFK responded to laughter: “Actually, I listened to Mr. Meader’s record but I thought it sounded more like Teddy than it did me — so he’s annoyed.

JamieC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.