John Fogerty sues former Creedence bandmates (again)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

But Ringo has done a song called "Wings", so maybe they have some type of side agreement that we don't know about ;) :

DrBeatle likes this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Well here is a recent set-list from the Revisited cover band 15 of the 20 songs are Fogerty originals-the other 5 are covers made famous by CCR and played in the same arrangements John once originated
    So whatever one may think of John his former mates certanely makes a good living covering Johns work. Why on earth has not these "worldclass" musicians come up with something original over the decades. Just wondering

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Sneaky Pete likes this.
  3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Has John actually directly claimed that he and only he arranged the CCRevival versions of Suzie Q/Grapevine/Midnight Special/Spell?

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've been reading John Fogerty's new autobiography and, man oh man, dude could really use a good psychiatrist. No lie. The story he tells of going to buy socks, freezing up, and walking out of the store is kinda chilling in a very honest, no b.s. kinda way. And the real heavy drinking ... who knew?

DrBeatle likes this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don't have any strong feelings about Fogerty as a person or as a manager or as a leader. But he is among the best American songwriters of the 20th century. Like many of the best American songwriters from the rock era (Berry, Dylan, Brian Wilson, Springsteen), his most well known work came early in his career. But his solo work is certainly solid. And "Almost Saturday Night", "Rocking All Over the World" and especially "Centerfield", are terrific songs. Two centuries of baseball in America, and it took Fogerty to capture it's glory in a song. It's an amazing song.

Would he have been a successful songwriter if he were never a member of Creedence? Since that's not what happened, we'll never know, just as we'll never know what would have happened if Seattle had run the ball. But there's no doubt that the talent was there.

6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Most things Iv read about the band tells stories of endless repetitions before the songs were recorded. As far as Iv undwrstood it John was-in a rahter-dictarorial way-in charge
    But who knows

7. stuguy

stuguy Forum Resident

Nice video. Thanks. Those radio show hosts are really sucking up to him. Throwing softballs. Taking his version as the god spell and THE truth. God forbid they challenge him on anything.

8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The thing that sort of bugs me with this thread is the easy way many participants take side-most as it seems against John. I find it rather impossible to know what really happened almost 50 years ago and hearing the different stories from the antagonists it is equall impossible to know who is telling the truth.f there really is any truth.
    However I can well understand Johns frustration -feelings of betrayal and other benefitting from what he sees as his work
    I can also understand Stu and Dougs frustration-when CCR disbanded-finding out how bad a manager Fogerty really had turned out to be.
    Can also understand tensions between childhood friends and brothers when one out four turns out to be a genius and a musical giant
    John obviosly is a man with some issues and a difficult person to work with
    However-John is the main creator-in the end that what will be remembered
    And I still find it impossible to take side here

nbadge, Carserguev and brainwashed like this.
  9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

That is a good point. Oftentimes the follow-up was clucking in sympathy. (But it's probably quite difficult to keep a guest talking for the, in this case, entire 40 minutes).

10. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

And not a Door To Door or Tearing Up The Country in sight. Speaks volumes in my opinion. Ron

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

We should put all the RIP notices and threads on legal actions in their own forum after all they end up in the same place. Either the person is dead or the band.

12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

To be fair I think they sometimes play those tunes as well
    Nevertheless I personally think this set-list tells pretty much

13. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

I think before the new lawsuits proceed, there should be a hearing. And at that hearing Fogerty, Cook, and Clifford should be forced to read all 56 pages of this thread. Aloud. To each other. Stu can be Zeki. Doug can be Rockledge. It would be pointless to suggest who John would read, because he'll already be busy rewriting/contesting/dismissing even the most positive statements on display here.

14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D another sip of coffee spewed all over.

arisinwind and Arnold Grove like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Correct use of the word "spew". :righton:

Sneaky Pete and Zeki like this.
  16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I was hoping you'd see that. :D

Arnold Grove likes this.
  17. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Thanks for the clarification, but it doesn't change my underlying point. The fact is as soon as someone else had control of the catalog they were able to make a more equitable deal with John. Saul always had that option but never exercised it. He seemed to only know how to be punitive.

18. Somehow I get the sense that John's book will be labelled "Exhibit A" in one of these lawsuits. Once again, his inability to seek legal advice before doing something is likely to cost him.

rstamberg likes this.
  19. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Lots that did business with Saul ended up in Court. Miramax, the Tolkein family, Harper Collins all had clashes with him. His lawsuit against the Tolkeins was described as vindictive because they had the audacity to try and get Saul and Warner Brothers to comply with their contract. And as we already saw Dave Brubeck was not satisfied with the treatment he got from Saul.

I don't need much more evidence than the deal he cut with a young and trusting employee that worked in his warehouse. I'm certain he courted John a working class kid until he got the signature on that contract.

The adjective I see most frequently attached to Saul's name is fierce. He wasn't "fiercely" fighting to protect the poor and downtrodden. He was no Mother Teresa. Everything I read confirms that he was a nasty character, not to be approached lightly.

20. 905

905 Senior Member

Well no, they would've worked regular jobs like most people. :)

Sneaky Pete and Bemagnus like this.
  21. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Was this the place with the (in)famous "talent" nights? I've heard these had a quite a cult following among the LA music biggies back in the day. I know Ray Davies was a fan and tried to see them whenever he was in town.

22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I absolutely agree. In that Opie radio interview he says "you can sue about anything" (which I would think might generate the question, "but why would you want to be constantly embroiled in litigation?")...and, in fact, Fogerty sued his own lawyer that helped get his costs (?...see p. 8 of this thread) back on the plagiarism lawsuit! He clearly enjoys a good lawsuit.

23. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

It's baffling.

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My only real true gripe with everything John Fogerty says about his former bandmates is his complete lack of respect for their playing. Yeah, they're his songs alright and no doubt he called all the shots but damn, Doug Clifford and Stu Cook sure played 'em well. They cooked on those records. I haven't seen any quotes from John Fogerty that acknowledges this.

What about Tom Fogerty's guitar prowess, you ask? Truth is, I can't even hear a rhythm guitar on Creedence's records, I'm sorry to say. Can anyone point out anything Tom Fogerty played? I'm all ears.

heatherly likes this.
  25. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Oh, I bet there's a lawsuit coming for some of the stuff he's written in his book alrighty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.