John Fogerty sues former Creedence bandmates (again)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I think Concord/Fantasy needed John approval to release CCR bonus tracks on the 40th reissues and they need John's approval for CCR video releases(Woodstock 69 got out and a rumoured release of TV appearances)

2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

This still doesn't change the facts. Saul could have extended an olive branch by renegotiating with John. He seemed to just want to crush him and keep milking the cash cow that CCR's catalog has become. It's hard to get around that fact, or that he so often ended up in Court with "partners."

I wish other people that dealt with Saul would get more coverage but his case with Fogarty so dominates the reporting that it sucked all the air out of the proverbial room.

Allen Klein is almost universally reviled but he has apologists and defenders too. John Lennon and Yoko kept a relationship with him despite everything. I've often thought that was because John Lennon couldn't bear to be wrong and like John Fogarty he wanted to tweak his former band mates. Most especially Paul.

3. SoundAdvice

mr._mojo_filter likes this.
  4. SoundAdvice

Why was Saul somewhat nice to Tom/Doug/Stu after the breakup?

5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yeah, I had heard that. The radio guys should have at least made a remark about the post.

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Do you think there's any way in hell Fogerty would have renegotiated with Zaentz if Zaentz had "extended an olive branch"? That seems extremely unlikely, to say the least. If Zaentz had offered the same deal that Concord did, Fogerty would not have accepted it.

7. SoundAdvice

Fogerty and Saul did work together in 1998 when that concert video came out. Saul owned the publishing and could ask any price he wanted for clearance.

8. Sneaky Pete

Divide and conquer. Reconciliation would have given the band a better position to negotiate from. They were still a powerhouse in the entertainment world.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  9. Sneaky Pete

Gallows humor. He sure ain't dancin' now unless he's on hot coals. ;-)

Dudley Morris likes this.
  10. Perhaps when John dies he won't be confronting Tom as he says in his book. Perhaps, he will be confronting Saul.

11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Whoa, thought it was a nightmare,
    Lo, it's all so true,
    They told me, "Don't go walkin' slow
    'Cause Devil's on the loose."

Better run through the jungle,
    Woa, Don't look back to see.

Thought I heard a rumblin'
    Callin' to my name,
    Two hundred million guns are loaded
    Satan cries, "Take aim!"

Woa, Don't look back to see.

Over on the mountain
    Thunder magic spoke,
    "Let the people know my wisdom,
    Fill the land with smoke."

Sneaky Pete and arisinwind like this.
  12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I thought it was the other way around.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  13. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Me too - and they've all acknowledged now that Paul was right about Klein and saved them from losing a lot.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I highly recommend the book.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The concept of being bound for 180 songs is brutal. Although his lawyers probably didn't think of it at the time, that contract might have been challenged under the de Havilland Law in California (where Fantasy and John were based). The law, named after Gone with the Wind actress Olivia de Havilland, limits personal service contracts to seven years. The rock band Thirty Seconds to Mars used it to get out of their contract with EMI in 2006 and de Havilland (who is 100 years old and living in Paris) sent them a personal note of congratulations. Very cool.

thrivingonariff, dino77 and Zeki like this.
  17. SoundAdvice

Even at 7 years it would still lock him up through the mid 70's.

18. kath

kath Well-Known Member

i don't. then again, i see zero problems with:

(a) loving CCR's music as i have since i was a kid (being really born on the bayou, as i was), loving john as the true creative force and knowing i will enjoy that music for the rest of my life

and

(b) being very glad john isn't a family member of mine.

these are not mutually exclusive concepts.

in the end, i'll also go for cosmo's factory. i often find myself needing ramble tamble, just by itself.

Ted Bell, GV1967 and erikdavid5000 like this.
  19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

This is really interesting. 1964 (when originally signed with Fantasy) + 7 = 1971. Or do I have my dates wrong? If 1967 (?) + 7 = 1974 (or 1973). So, they were just about there.

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

But wouldn't the 180 song aspect be irrelevant? Because there is now a timeline, it's no longer infinity.

21. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Or that he could have done Sgt Peppers with any 4 other guys.

arisinwind likes this.
  22. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

By name. By name is the biggie. If the word Zantz had been a word that had no remote spelling to Mr Zaentz, I doubt it would have gotten beyond a preliminary hearing.

23. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Apparently you haven't a clue what a cover band is.
    A cover band is a band that does entirely material made popular by other bands but have no connection to them.
    CCR in its' current incarnation has 2 of the bands original members. Half the band, and 2/3 of the original band as it was when they originally temporarily disbanded. That is more original members than a lot of still active rock bands have.
    And it isn't about "Johns'" music, it is about CCRs music. CCR at that time was 4 guys ( now 5 guys).
    It is THEIR music. The music of 3 living guys and a dead guy.

No disrespect to Mr Brubeck, but signing a contract he misunderstood is on his shoulders.
    If he thought it said one thing but it said another, then he either dropped the ball by not understanding the legalities of his business or if not in not hiring someone who did.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Grand_Ennui and arisinwind like this.
  24. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

905, GV1967, arisinwind and 1 other person like this.
  25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I don t discuss things telling others they don t have a clue etc, Of course I know what a cover -band is. In technical terms Revisited might not be a cover-band but I look upon them as a cover-band anyway-covering the music of John Fogerty
    In the other hand Revisited is not CCR as you claim
    I respect your opinon that Revisited makes John Fogertys music better than he does-but I don t share it.
    CCR sure was a competentvband but I firmly believe(most others to) that it was the single creative explosion within John Fogerty that made them huge.
    Just take a look at Revisiteds set -list for proof

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.