John Fogerty sues former Creedence bandmates (again)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Don't many do this already at Beatlefests?

I've never heard one word from Paul about Denny et al using their connections to make a profit.

Lost In The Flood and Zeki like this.
  2. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Not only that, but what a great singer.
    Springsteen is a big fan of John Fogerty.

Bemagnus likes this.
  3. AppleCorp3

Yes, it makes trying to debate him less fun :)

4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D my, my...I'm almost speechless. You used the phrase "whining". My use of the word was in response to that.

Did you stumble into the wrong thread?

5. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

The stumbling is all on your part. That's the easiest part to decipher.

6. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Stu eh? lol :D

Not sure why I found your post amusing (albeit in a good way) but I did. The rest of your sentiments are certainly understandable.

brucifer likes this.
  7. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

dino77: The real talent in Wings was the rhythm section anyway...they could choogle. Their albums would have been better if Denny had written more of the songs. Never mind the guy who wrote all the songs, did all the arrangements and sang lead vocals, we don't need him. And his current band is no great shakes. :winkgrin:

Right, and don't forget how he carried the Moody Blues for all those (er, well 2) years.

But damn, Denny nailed Go Now nicely for them. :righton:

8. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Tristero: I honestly don't claim to know all of the sordid details surrounding the backroom deals and betrayals with these guys and this thread really makes me not want to know more. Like many, I tend to be sympathetic towards JF simply because, without him, we wouldn't even be having this conversation, but I also recognize that he comes across like a deeply troubled, embittered man who was difficult to work with. When I see people say things about how reading his book kind of soured them on the music and when I see the two factions here bickering back and forth for pages on end, I prefer not to dwell on all of this stuff too deeply.

A "deeply troubled, embittered man"... perhaps once upon a time. Now I'm not sure who is more embittered, him or his old bandmates (or select members of this forum claiming to be fans).

I guess it takes two to tango as they say.

Bemagnus likes this.
  9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Johns level of vitriolity almost reaxhes the level of some postings here

10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Postings like this says a lot actually. It really does

11. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

czeskleba: If your premise is that we should just enjoy the music and never, ever say anything critical about musicians whose work we like, why are you "hissing at" Chuck Berry from afar?

Hardly hissing at him like you do Mr. Fogerty, continually. Care to argue that further?

But I also think it's sad that John Fogerty is so consumed by bitterness and anger, and that said bitterness and anger lead him to completely dismiss the contributions of his bandmates. I think it's distasteful and petty for him to insult their musical abilities, and egotistical and inaccurate for him to take 100% of the credit for the music.

It takes two to tango in this world. They should have managed their own parts better to boot.

It's analogous to the way Pete Townshend likes to go around saying Keith Moon was a lousy drummer. In both cases, non-musical factors are I think biasing their views of the musicians.

Selective and gross oversimplification there. Townsend and Daltrey also have praised Moon's drumming abilities to the high heavens. Where were you when all this went down?

Was Fogerty ripped off? Did he lose out on millions of dollars because he agreed to a bad deal when he was young and ignorant? Of course. But is he broke or destitute or forced to work at non-musical jobs to make ends meet, like a lot of musicians who've been ripped off similarly? No.

All do to his own efforts, and no one else's. Again, learn the story before slashing out at his continual expense.

12. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I saw CCR and Jethro Tull in 1969 at the Fillmore and I remember when they were doing "Proud Mary" the bass player was mouthing the words, "I'm going to be so f**king rich" I guess to himself.
    It really didn't seem weird then because it was like a door swung open, those songs were quite a revelation for a local band to hit this solid with hits. At the time "Proud Mary" was a monster. Everybody loved it, pop, country, and the rock scene.
    My buddy and I knew after hearing all these songs that the band was going to go on and become stars. Look what John wrote in 1969, that's amazing.
    Jethro Tull was a trip too, Ian Anderson kept spitting at the guitar player in the band, they were really good that night too.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    Bemagnus likes this.
  13. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

erikdavid5000: Hmmmm, ok: the only thing worth responding to that was aimed at me is regarding Dug's statement that many songs came out of band jams, and you're asking me which songs exactly?

Only possible answer is: ......... you'll have to ask Dug.

Why did I expect such a vague and empty answer? Thanks for the insights though. :sigh:

The Beach Boys, for example, have always had their spats, yet continue to play with each other either all together or in various configurations..... Even Pink Floyd had an official happy ending. Eagles still play together too, as do Fleetwood Mac. Everly's make no noise. Surviving Beatles speak highly of the others, Ramones retired while ahead and were pretty peaceful ..... No band quite touches CCR in the bad vibes dept. And that's on all of the guys.

What a convenient rewrite of the facts, beyond some basic ignorance you're showing ("Everly's make no noise.") :shh:

They are playing these songs because they are half of the personnel playing on the original recordings that everyone loves ..... These songs were released as coming from a band called CCR. It's not "Hey look at all the great songs we wrote" it's "Hey, we're half of CCR playing great CCR songs that John wrote and we played on" ...... They have every right to still be connected to those songs in some way.

"Half of CCR" -- this is why certain kinds of math never add up quite right. :rolleyes:

John should study up on Brian Wilson interviews in recent years.

Oh please.

14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Gee, I wish I could write like you. Accusing people who disagree with you of "hissing" and "whining" sure is brilliant rhetorical strategy.

I've expressed some criticism of Fogerty's dismissal of his bandmates' abilities and contributions to the music. I think it's petty and egotistical of him. Clearly you disagree. Sorry if my opinion upsets you so much. This is a discussion forum, and discussions sometimes lead to disagreements. Life isn't black and white... it's possible to admire a musician's work but be critical of some of his actions/behavior. I don't understand the desire of some to put their favorite stars on pedestals and/or consider them above criticism.

15. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

off topic but Denny Lane either recorded or had his covers repackaged as "Denny Laine & Wings", have his version of band On The Run on one of those dubious live & re-recording (usually by non-original line ups) 70s Hits comps.

Zeki likes this.
  16. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Congrats on making the understatement of the year here. :edthumbs: Your (and others) hissing and whining not over me and my opinions, but John Fogerty, is not only patently apparent, but amounts to overkill to a gross degree. Worse yet, most of it is based on your distortions of already nebulous "facts."

17. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

Uh, Zelox? You're the guy that others say writes clearly? Everyone read what he quotes and then his response. Is he the smartest most coolest clever guy ever? Or is he patting himself on the back for being so clever? Why not when he gets clueless high fives?

18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

One album is called "Wings at the Speed of Denny Laine".

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  19. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Could you perhaps clarify what you wrote for me? Who (or what) are you referencing? Who exactly is "he"?

If it's too much, don't bother. :help:

20. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

I'm sorry. He being you. I help where I can. God I thought you would have followed. Isn't this sort of language fun? Sarcasm all over the place!!! :goodie:

21. AppleCorp3

Oh no...no....please don't. That's like something from The Simpsons! :biglaugh:

Oh well, I like Denny. He can sing Go Now till the cows come home and I'll still like the guy!

I really do think this recent flare up of tensions is due to something new. It's been too quiet and now it's backs.

I suspect they were in some sort of business negotiations that went south. That may have been a reunion tour or some other sort of deal. Something to make tensions flare up.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yep, he's gonna have me caterwauling next. :D I've put him on ignore.

23. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Well apparently I'm not patting myself on the back for being so clever, am I? So you got your answer.

Oh the tears... thanks for playing though. Au revoir.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Then there's "Wings on my Feet"...but I better stop!

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  25. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

As long as they don't bill using the name, I'm sure it's OK to mention he was in the band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.