John Fogerty sues former Creedence bandmates (again)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 905

905 Senior Member

Imagine Juber playing guitar along to Coming Up and I'm sold.

2. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

Come back Zeki, Zelox is harmless! :laugh:

3. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

We're in agreement on something! Let's party! :D Who's bringing the booze? :p

4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

. I think that some of the bashing of John here is horrible .It s beyond reason-really

Also think the revisionism concerning CCR is weird . Some here even claim the Revisited band is CCR-s current line-up ,Stu and Doug are a rhytm-section of Motown-quality.Or invented Swamp-rock.!!
    Obviosly there are some folks -some not even born in the CCR-days who seems personally hurt by Johns operations . Thats more than weird.

CCR-s lasted only a few years. During that period John, wrote, produced and arranged some of the most important legacies of all within rockn roll. The other guys were involved as well -they were after all a band. But without the creative explosion of John they certanely would have remained the bar-band they was before.!
    John might have some issues and could/should be critized for lot s of things. But the judgemental, moralising. Vitriolic and revisionistic attacks he gets here he certanely does not deserve. He has-no matter who did what-obviosly gone through hell over a long period of time. During all those lost years he was not even able to hear CCR on the radio without feeling really bad. How can people jusge others feelings or depressions. It s outrageous

Music is one thing-legal matters and business is another. John obviosly was better at music than business. He was seriosly ripped of for sure. People sitting here-50 years later-judging him even for that makes me speech-less.

The few years CCR-or dare I say John Fogerty -created that great legacy have been followed by 45 years of legal and personal battles. Poor John even got sued for sounding like himself. His former band-mates have for 20 years made a good living playing music that was originally written, produced and arranged by the man they loves to sue, the man whose work has secured them a-I guess-not so bad life. They paid their dues in CCR but also have ben rewarded for it
    As long as I live I will listen to the music of CCR and John Fogerty
    John certanely have done his share of not so good things., But my respect for his work and also for what he has gone through remains just as big as ever. He is one of very few-imo-truly outstanding artists within rock
    The other guys doesn t really interest me more than their roles in CCR-.. Their current musical route playing in the Revisited cover band is imo -a venture that has nothing to do with creativity but with business . Good on them they can earn their living that way.In a way they are Fortunate sons

Olompali, TeddyB and TS582 like this.
  5. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

Let's.

6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Thanks....but, much to Zelox's angst, I've never left! I'll just enjoy trying to guess what some posts are all about.

7. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I always wondered how the "formerly of..." line played into any of this. Is that still using the name?

Like if they were to bill as "Stu and Doug" formerly of CCR would that be okay?

8. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Still going on after 83 pages, huh?

Have no sympathy for the man. Yes, he was ripped off, but so were many others (including his fellow bandmates in CCR as well). At least he has a roof over his head, and enough money to live comfortably for all these years - Many didn't even get (or have) that. And yet many of those who were ripped off still manage to face the world day with a certain measure of grace, no matter how much pain they carry inside - Fogerty does not. He acts a little kid still throwing a tantrum over a Xmas present his parents didn't buy him fifty years ago.

Move on already.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  9. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Not positive, I think it's OK. Maybe not OK on ticket? But fine on promo material?

10. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I can see how some folks bash Fogerty for the way he's acted in the past, but we could say the same things about many of the artists that are beloved and worshipped on this site. Henley or Frey anyone?

The bottom line is the guy was a *huge* talent. I mean think about this...he could still write a classic song like "Have You Ever Seen The Rain?" in 1971 despite the fact that he wrote, recorded and released 6(!) classic albums of material in just a little over 2 years before that! Doug & Stu (and Tom) contributed some of course but Fogerty was clearly light years beyond them talent-wise. Doug & Stu have been riding his coattails for over 40 years now.

Bemagnus likes this.
  11. AppleCorp3

It's a weird concept and it seems inconsistent between bands. It seems like JF uses the name to promote stuff, but doesn't use the bands name in the name of the artist. I've heard that for certain members of The Beach Boys, they cannot do this, and as we've said above, Denny Laine seems to have an unlimited supply of Wings puns to name his albums after!

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  12. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

He was a HUGE talent for three years. However, he's been playing a professional victim for the past forty-five, so I would have to say the scales are bit out of whack. Once again, he needs to let it go.

13. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I could see how CC Revisited as billed that there might be some confusion. I think I just read here, Al Jardine
    can mention in promo materials that he is/was a member of the band (he is, just not the touring version), but he can't
    use the name for billing purposes.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

There isn't any question that Doug and Stu are entitled to the name Creedence Clearwater Revisited, whether it is confusing or not. In return for the use (and for Fogerty not to disparage them), they have an agreement to pay Fogerty a fee. They stopped paying Fogerty the fee because Fogerty continues to take pot shots at them. And so they sued him.

Fogerty, in turn, is suing them and the corporate CCR (which he is a part of) because he hasn't received his "royalty" fee.

Both suits are still ongoing.

arisinwind likes this.
  15. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I know it's legal, but really would much rather see the main guy than supporting players who uses a name that is too
    close to the original. Just me.

Bemagnus and Zeki like this.
  16. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I know there are bands with less or no original members.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  17. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

You are one nasty person.

I would say I'm done indulging you, but your ego obviously needs it bady, and I'm always up for helping my fellow man.... Nor did you provide any real responses to my highlighted statements: only insults.

All in good fun ...... I'm only speculating about any of this, as are we all. Only guys called Tom Forgerty, Stu Cook, Doug Clifford, or John Forgerty are capable of knowing exactly what happened inside CCR. All else is mere discussion. No one is dead right or dead wrong here, so the insults are unnecesary.... And as long as these guys keep writing books and issuing statements, they are up for discussion. I mentioned a Doug statement where he says that many of the band's songs arose from jams, and you asked me exactly what songs? I'm assuming you wanted me to speculate, which I will not do... As a musician who has been in many bands, this doesn't seem like a statement that would require heavy explanation, but others may disagree .... I said you would have to ask Doug, which was not an acceptable response for you, but other than that: there is no way for me to know which songs ... Would Russ Gary be able to weigh in and clarify or denounce this statement? .... That's a logical and fair solution. So, let's stifle the insults until he possibly provides an answer.....

18. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

Zelox fans, quick to high five. Oh man...

19. AppleCorp3

Ladies and Gentlemen: The Temptation! Yeah you're right. Then there was the facas over the faux-Fleetwood Mac touring band. It's all about copyrights I'm pretty sure.

Chuckee likes this.
  20. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

The Shangri-Las as well. A promoter bought the rights to the name years ago and continues to parade various lineups as if they were the real deal. It doesn't help that some of the faux singers have the gall to get up and talk about their "reminiscences" about various songs and recording sessions, etc, as if they were actually there (when it fact some probably weren't even born yet). Pretty pathetic.

Lost In The Flood and AppleCorp3 like this.
  21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

You seem very aggrieved that anyone would have the nerve to criticize Mr. Fogerty, yet you don't hesitate to personally attack Chuck Berry. I was simply pointing out that seems like an inconsistency. Why is the former so incredibly awful, but the latter entirely permissable?

No argument about Daltrey. But can you provide me with any example of Townshend praising Moon's drumming abilities "to the high heavens"? Particularly in the past 30 years? I'd love to see that, since he's certainly dismissed Moon's drumming on many occasions since his death. I admit it's possible, since Townshend is often inconsistent, but I don't recall him saying anything good about Moon's drumming recently.
    Perhaps you could cite some examples of how I've distorted facts in any of my statements here. You seem more concerned with mischaracterizing the tone of my posts than responding to the substance. It's possible to disagree with someone civilly, and have a discussion about those disagreements, without needing to resort to veiled insults such as accusing anyone with contradictory opinions of "whining."

22. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Only stopping in for a second. Hey folks!

Okay, later. :bdance:

arisinwind and Olompali like this.
  23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

This thread has become ridiculous. If it were up to me, I'd close it down. The bashing of the guys is just childish.

I'm not defending any of those 4 guys. They all were wronged and did wrong. And 40+ years later, the guys still have issues between each other. When the remaining three guys are dead and gone, only the music will count. That's all that counts for me, even now.

Bemagnus likes this.
  24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

They have the one surviving original member and the lead singer on a couple later (80s) hits. Not quite the same as the fake Mac or Shangri-Las.

25. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I just blocked the two trolls.........:tiphat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.