John Fogerty's Post CCR-Legacy Opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Feb 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Almost every artist who was a hit maker in the late 60s - early 70s that my generation grew up with suffers from the "they stopped being good when I got old" syndrome. Elton John, John Fogerty, McCartney, James Taylor, any of those baby-boomer icons can never match their output of that time because we were all young and played those albums over and over and over and they became part of our fiber. As time moved on and new stuff came out we listened far less to the new stuff, sometimes dismissing it after just one or two listens. Also the later albums from these artists rarely got airplay so the osmosis-listening that we did as kids never happened.

Still, it's true not all of these albums are classics all the way through but many have great tunes on them that we just do not hear enough.

John Fogerty's solo albums range from great to mostly filler, but that is not unusual for an artist with his length of output. I still buy his new stuff and it's true that I don't listen to them as much as I did the CCR albums back in the '60s, but there are still songs on them that get me on the first listen and make it to my iPod for future listens. This is the way of the music world today, take the songs you like at first, put them on your playlist, file the CD away forever. How can an album of today that gets this kind of exposure compete with a 1969 album that got played all the way through and worn out?

2. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Agree too.:)

Arnold Grove likes this.
  3. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

"Walking in a Hurricane" is a great track too. Maybe my favourite of the album.:agree:

The7thStranger and Bemagnus like this.
  4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Great post/agree with most every word:)

JonUrban and Grand_Ennui like this.
  5. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Same here: I thought the author of that post made good points...

Bemagnus likes this.
  6. This thread has given me great info for a comp CD, the above mentioned singles - any idea where I could find them and download them??? Same for a couple other mentions in the thread.
    Thanks.

7. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I have a 20th generation cassette copy, but even through the sonic mud, Between The Lines is one of my very favorite Fogarty songs.

The man clearly puts a lot of effort into keeping his music industry demons and bad memories at bay, so I'm sure it will never see the light. But adding Hoodoo as bonus tracks to John Fogarty would work for me.

Grand_Ennui and The7thStranger like this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

for me, his solo output mirrors that of CCR.....great, impeccable singles, beyond the singles, not too much to holler about.

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

As far as I know, all of John's early rare solo singles were only released on 45's. They never were added to any later compilations, and have not appeared legally as digital downloads. But they are excellent and definitely deserve to be available.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    Grand_Ennui and Paperback Writer like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If you consider both the A and B sides of CCR's singles, then that would likely make up almost half of their total output as all of their singles also appeared on their albums. But they definitely had loads of great album tracks as well, such as Ramble Tamble, Tombstone Shadow, Wrote A Song For Everyone, Effigy, It Came Out Of The Sky, and Walk On The Water, just to name some of my personal favs.

11. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

We may see it after his death. If Hoodoo ever does see the light of say, it won't be while he's still with us.:cry:

12. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Hey I know to each their own, but if that triple album run in 1969-70 of Green River, Willy And The Poorboys and Cosmo's Factory isn't something to shout about, I don't know what is. Those three productions were rivaling the equivalent Beatles' long players in record sales and radio play back in the day, and were definitely deep (with JC Fogerty at his absolute apex in the songwriting department).

steelinYaThighs and Grand_Ennui like this.
  13. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The only thing that throws me a bit is his jumping around on stage. So different from his demeanor back in the CCR days when he was much more staid (actually back then I wish he did move about a bit more). I still can't tell if he's doing this out of sheer exhilaration, or simply to look more "hip" and "trendy" to modern audiences.

Btw that live performance of "One Hundred Ten In The Shade" with the Fairfield Four is a knockout.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    JonUrban likes this.
  14. I think they changed when he quit smoking.

15. I already did that myself (well a playlist with that).

16. Sadly, John has forgotten about all of this, everything before "Centerfield" from his solo work is just background noise.

17. itcameoutofthesk

itcameoutofthesk Forum Resident

Never heard that one, my Earl Scruggs album has "Blue Ridge Mountain blues" on it ! :)

18. itcameoutofthesk

itcameoutofthesk Forum Resident

I think it's not necessary to release "Hoodoo", yes it had some good songs on it ,
    but all the real fans already have the recording and the rest probably doesn't care.
    I'm sure John Fogerty is still capable to make a great ROCK album again,
    and if he really wants, it will sound like CCR .
    But I think he doesn't want to sound like them anymore at all .

19. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Fogerty was lambasted for the "Eye of the Zombie" record, but there are some good tracks on this. The title song to my ears is a pretty good song, with an underlying sinister and creepiness, mixed with a good dash of that "hoodoo and voodoo".
    "Change in the weather" harkens back to "Grapevine", "Headlines" to "Commotion", the opening track is a nice instrumental track, an experimental and innovative way to open a Fogerty record, and "Sail Away" is a great closer.
    Unfairly maligned record in my opinion.

arisinwind likes this.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The b sides for Zombie were more interesting than the cd.

arisinwind likes this.
  21. Right you are.

22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Creendence IS his legacy. I don't even think Centerfield is all that great.

24. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Blue moon swamp was my last buy

25. great single from 1973

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.