"John is in fact the leader of the group" - Paul McCartney, 10/28/62

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrdon, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

But he "rolled over".

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  2. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Only after he died

3. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Not necessarily his best song, but the most important he made for that album, the only one that trascends being just "a great song", it's a classic.

4. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

They could be said to have 'co-led' the band at some point(s), could they not? Not necessarily some swift and irrevocable transfer of leadership.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  5. Price.pittsburgh

Fair enough.
    It is certainly the Day In the Life of Revolver.
    So is Revolution 9 now the classic off the White Album? :laugh:

A well respected man likes this.
  6. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Ugh... no! That's what happens when you trade Paul McCartney for Yoko Ono :tsk:

7. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

It is to me. I place Let it Be just behind Abbey Road among their greatest (both in the top three along with the White Album).

angelees likes this.
  8. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

Oh, definitely. I found it fascinating as I had always considered it a Paul song, according to what IIRC both of them had said later. But this contemporary interview, with BOTH of them talking about it, definitely trumps that. Now, the song may well be more of a Paul song (concept, title, etc.) but it was definitely very much co-written.

I don't think it makes much sense to claim that they must have been lying in order to make it seem like they wrote together more than they actually did?, I mean, Occam's razor and all. The most plausible explanation is that they both simply forgot lol.

About the Elvis jam though: why are you assuming that it's Paul, George and Ringo who are misremembering here?, has any definitive evidence of the jam surfaced?

Thanks for the quote. I gotta say though, that I hear that statement as is it's established fact, and if this is the source for it, I'm not sure we should consider it so.

Plus, if they all had had equal say on what was recorded and released, George Harrison would have been a much happier chap...

9. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

No, Lennon's songs are superior and push the boundaries of rock music recording history, McCartneys songs are pretty much the same style he did prior to 1966 nothing revolutionary where as John (and George) was really pushing the psychedelic thing !!

Fullbug likes this.
  10. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Paul was just being kind. He didn't really mean that. Paul is a monster and was able to mold his playing, singing, and production talent quickly to quickly pass John.

11. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

I would take Lennon's songs on Revolver in a heartbeat.. John was still top dog on Revolver...I mean Tomorrow Never Knows? Come on now... that song is amazing...

12. Price.pittsburgh

You mean Yoko isn't the 5th Beatle?

A well respected man likes this.
  13. Price.pittsburgh

Yeah Paul has 4 classics on Revolver IMO, Here There and Everywhere, Got to Get You Into My Life, Eleanor Rigby and For No One.
    I don't consider Yellow Submarine all that great other than just being a fun little number and Good day Sunshine is borderline weak and almost filler.
    John's And Your Bird Can Sing, I'm Only Sleeping, Doctor Robert, She Said, She Said and Tomorrow Never Knows has John IMO 5 to 4 or at least a tie if you drop one.
    So I agree Paul had caught up on Revolver but just not passed yet.

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Paul had always said that The Beatles were John's band. John was always the spokesperson until he didn';t want to be anymore.

15. Paulwalrus

You mean... by its use of Paul's tape loops?

People seem to forget that they were a band and therefore, more often than not, did work on songs together...

petem1966, MoonPool and daveidmarx like this.
  16. Paulwalrus

Paul has said the Beatles were John's band?. I'd like to see a quote.

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I've heard him say it a couple of times, but I cannot tell you exactly where. Man! I thought this was all common knowledge to any serious Beatles fan.

18. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I didn't start this pointless argument !!

19. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

It really is pointless.. this will go on forever and you know nothing good will come of it.. both Paul and John were really really great. .the end.

Maidenpriest, Chuckee and ladycat like this.
  20. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Paul needed John to rough up his sappy side. John needed Paul to do the reverse

Paulwalrus likes this.
  21. Paulwalrus

Are you implying I'm not a serious Beatles fan, sir? o_O

Seriously, I think the most I've heard/read Paul say (except in an early interview like the one that originated this thread) is that John was "very much the leader" or something to that effect.

22. Paulwalrus

Well, the subject of the thread really wasn't who wrote the best songs or was more experimental.

23. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Revolution 9 still hasn't been "got" by many members of this forum even nearly 50 years after it was released. It is so far ahead of its time. It's bloody genius and one of the best sound collages ever done. Ian MacDonald got it.....

Fullbug likes this.
  24. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Everybody has a different take on revolution 9. To me that is why the fast forward or skip button exists

Zeki and Paulwalrus like this.
  25. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

It's interesting but I don't find it genius. I guess I'm one of the many who don't get it. What is it that makes it so great? Honestly I'm more with Christgau than I am with MacDonald, but I'd like to keep an open mind

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.