"John is in fact the leader of the group" - Paul McCartney, 10/28/62

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrdon, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

I always felt that there was more Paul on Abbey Road than John. However, I have been doing some calculations and if we take each song as having a primary songwriter, including Her Majesty, then the time allocation as a % breakdown is as follows:
    John 41.7%
    Paul 39.2%
    George 13%
    Ringo 6.1%

I am a little surprised. John was still getting the lion's share at the end and clearly had more of the White Album. So following Paul's emegence and dominance of Revolver and Pepper, we have John reasserting himself.

BeatlesBop and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  2. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

The absence (or minimal musical contributions) of John on George's songs doesn't necessarily mean John wasn't supportive in other ways. Maybe John was good at giving George encouragement in non musical ways.

Or maybe George didn't want John to play on his songs, not the other way around? Maybe George waited until John wasn't around before he attempted to record his stuff? We'll never know for sure...

What we do know is that George didn't find Paul to be supportive, despite the fact that Paul's fingerprints are all over George's songs. That says a lot, actually.

ohnothimagen and czeskleba like this.
  3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

By the latter half of The Beatles' career George Harrison -as much as I love the guy- had a chip on his shoulder that was bigger than his feet. To a certain degree you can't blame him, they did give him a bit of short shrift as far as his songwriting and musicianship went, but his generally negative attitude toward the band in general post-1966 tended to colour his view on just about everything Beatle-related.

Generally speaking, I think that as far as George's songs went, John just wasn't a fan of his stuff. Witness his "I wouldn't play that kind of music at home" regarding All Things Must Pass...I think Lennon tended to find George's compositions complicated and difficult to play, not just due to Lennon's stoned out laziness, but because George's songs simply weren't to Lennon's own musical tastes. That might have something to do with why Lennon tended to make himself scarce or to make minimal contributions to George's songs in the studio. The irony is that when it came to Lennon's songs George almost always rose to the occasion and offered up some tasty guitar parts, right up to George's parts on the Imagine album- some of Harrison's best guitar playing in his entire career.

As for George not finding Paul to be supportive, I think he was talking out of his asss a bit there. Indeed, McCartney made some sterling multi-instrumental contributions to quite a few of Hari's songs. Even if some of George's songs might not have been to Paul's taste, unlike Lennon Paul still kept an open mind and was able to contribute, sometimes to the point where his contributions to the songs almost overshadowed George's own parts. In retrospect it makes George's post-Beatles "I could never play in a band with Paul McCartney/I'd rather have Willlie Weeks on bass than Paul" remarks seem like quite the slap in the face. Whether Lennon or Harrison would care to admit it or not, McCartney had an innate ability to bring some of their trickier compositions to realization.

BellaLuna, maywitch, angelees and 3 others like this.
  4. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

I have to wonder how you've assigned the songs then, because I find 6 John songs and 8 Paul songs on Abbey Road, which comes out to 35.3 % for John and 47.1 % for Paul. (Also, George's 2 songs out of 17 makes it 11.8 % for him and Ringo's 1 song gives him 5.8 %.)

John:
    Come Together
    I Want You
    Because
    Sun King
    Mean Mr Mustard
    Polythene Pam

Paul:
    Maxwell's Silver Hammer
    Oh! Darling
    You Never Give Me Your Money
    She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
    Golden Slumbers
    Carry That Weight
    The End
    Her Majesty

Edit: Now I see you talk about the time allocation. That makes a difference of course, since "I Want You" is so much longer than everything else, and "Come Together" is the second longest song on the album.

Don't know that I'd say that a songwriter dominates an album because he writes longer songs than everyone else, though...

Steve E., Paulwalrus, eroz and 2 others like this.
  5. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I did.

6. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Well, IMO, in the case of the Beatles, it's part of the equation indicating Paul's musical doninance in the studio......all he did for those great Lennon songs.....HELP! (arranging the call and response vocals, speeding up the tempo), Strawberry Fields and LSD (those intros--with LSD the intro is the backbone of the track), pretty much outright arranging Come Together, Don't Let Me Down, Ticket to Ride, Tomorrow Never Knows........deeper musical contributions than John gave Paul. John would suggest lyrics and a few counter-melody "middle-eights" but other than Ob-La-Di, there are virtually no reported examples of John shaping the arrangement of an entire Paul song.

7. BeatleJay

BeatleJay Active Member

I'm a younger fan, and I myself and other younger fans have always perceived John as the 'leader', the frontman ala Jagger or such. My question is, when you have a band which really had in a sense two frontmen in John and Paul, why did the public image of the band tend to portray John as the leader of the group? In actuality from around 1967 onward Paul was writing more of the songs and was more involved in the musical direction of the group, whereas before it seems to have been 50/50,

Or prior to '67:
    John - 40%
    Paul - 40%
    George - 15%
    Ringo - 5%

8. He was the tallest with had razor sharp wit.

9. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

He was the more outspoken of the bunch. Although I don't really see the media portraying him as the leader, per se.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  10. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

It's true that McCartney was the leader from 1967 onward (except for the White Album), but that's only because John lost interest and let him take over.

Prior to that John was the true leader, musically and otherwise.

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

simple, he was.

12. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Because he secretly always wore one of these:

[​IMG]

13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

John was older and started the group, so he was the initial "leader". He was in charge from the start prior to Paul and George and Ringo joining (although Ringo was the oldest, but he joined last). John, to his credit, realized that making Paul an equal would make the group better.

14. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

He and Paul were both leaders in their own way. John was the adventurous, rebellious, intellectual one. Paul was the one who made sure the music machine stayed on the tracks.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  15. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I believe Paul was the tallest.

I don't think John was ever 'really' the leader; it only seemed that way because he had the biggest mouth. Paul emerged as the best PR man very quickly and by 1966 (at the time of the Jesus comments), Paul was in control, smoothing things over and presenting the band's 'corporate face': it was also around this time that Paul became de facto leader and by the end of 1967, he was leader in all but name.

maywitch and Paulwalrus like this.
  16. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

Because he was the one who took them to the Toppermost of the Poppermost.

At one time, the band called themselves Johnny and the Moondogs.

Note, they never entertained the name Paulie and the Moondogs.

dewey02 and Bingo Bongo like this.
  17. Arnold Grove

But they almost went out undercover as Ricky And The Red Streaks.

bunglejerry likes this.
  18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It all depends on how you define "leader" I suppose. I would argue that Paul was never the leader, because at no point in time would either John or George have said he was the leader. You can't be a leader if the people you are supposedly leading do not acknowledge your authority in any way.

The person in a group who offers up the most ideas or who encourages the others to go in a certain direction is not necessarily the leader, even if his suggestions are often taken. The leader is the one who has the ultimate power to make (or allow) things to happen. Lennon was the one the others looked to for approval. He had the natural alpha personality in that group. That was consistent across their time together.

I remember in grad school, I took a class on marriage therapy. One day they showed us a video clip of a couple in therapy. The wife was doing all the talking, bitching about how awful the husband was, complaining about the things he did and did not do. The husband just sat there apathetically, and said little. After a few minutes, the instructor stopped the tape and said "Now, who has the power in this relationship?" She did a show of hands, and most of us voted that the wife had the power. She told us we were wrong. The husband, by withholding his participation, was the one with the power. He knew what his wife thought. She had no idea what he thought or felt. She could not make him do anything. In restrospect, that clip reminds me of Lennon in Let it Be. Just because a leader is refusing to lead, that doesn't make them no longer the leader.

19. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I don't think that's a valid analogy. Of course, there are many kinds of leadership, but at some point Paul was leading the Beatles in some way or another, being the creative force behind projects like Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour or Let It Be. Those are his ideas, and the other three took part in them, reluctantly or not.

Even in the years in which they were at each others' throats, in the early 70s, Lennon admitted that Paul lead the band trying to fill in Epstein's shoes, although he thought that Paul was leading them "in circles".

maywitch and Horse Brunsby like this.
  20. The_Brahan_Seer

The_Brahan_Seer New Member

21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Paul wasn't the tallest. Rather famously, John Paul and George were all 5'11"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    supermd and Paulwalrus like this.
  22. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Nah, Clarence was the leader, but they got rid of him. They also stole his song "She Loves You, Man". :agree::laugh::sigh:

Fullbug likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

But John had the tightest trousers; hence he was the leader.... ;)

Siegmund likes this.
  24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

As a young Beatles fan in 64 there was no doubt that John was the leader. It was his group. The fanzines verified this!

Fullbug likes this.
  25. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Yoko, is that you? You still believe that nonsense? They were both adventurous, rebellious, and intellectual.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    theMess, Fullbug and Paulwalrus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.