John Lennon....and His SF Hat!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TJ Smith, Sep 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TJ Smith

TJ Smith Active Member Thread Starter

Something has confused me for a long time while looking at this image:

[​IMG]

What does the SF/FS stand for on young Lennon's cap? The first thing that comes to mind is the San Francisco Giants....but at this time (1940's) the Giants were based in New York and had an NY symbol similar to the current NY Mets. I highly doubt it is for any American team....but that is what I thought at first glance.

I was just wondering if anyone knew what it stood for...a local football team? club? etc etc?

2. dbacon

dbacon Forum Resident

Perhaps the SF stands for Strawberry Fields?

GV1967, supermd, Johnny Vinyl and 3 others like this.
  3. TJ Smith

Never thought of that. Nice thought....but it was a home for children...unless it was a part of a uniform the kids had at Strawberry Field and Lennon was somehow able to get one through his mum or auntie.

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I'm sure Lewisohn has it figured out, down to where it was made and how much it cost.

5. TJ Smith

If only Lewisohn was here. :p

Found a quote from the image:

"Circa 1948: John Lennon is pictured as a young boy in a school uniform and cap."

I don't know if the cap goes with the uniform. I doubt it.

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

He'd say buy the special edition if you want to find out :cheers:

TJ Smith likes this.
  7. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

He'll even tell us how history might have been altered if he'd chosen to wear a different hat that day.

8. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

:biglaugh::righton:

I don't think it is a SF/FS, it is probably the Dovetail School logo, maybe a Latin moto ??

9. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

the photo is credited as a 1948 image w school uniform and cap, but so far I don't see more info about the cap design.

10. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

11. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

• St Finbar's Catholic Primary School,
      • St Francis de Sales Catholic Infant and Nursery School, or
      • St Francis de Sales Catholic Junior School

helter and MAYBEIMAMAZED like this.
  12. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Dovedale, to be precise - here's a photo of a foreign visitor from a few years ago,

[​IMG]

This is the current school logo, by the way - no connection there, although I suspect it's more recent in origin,

[​IMG]

13. Flipje

Flipje Forum Resident

Science Fiction? (I watched some videos about aliens, mermaids and time travellers in the past few days)

14. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Obviously he was a Giants fan, even before the Giants moved to San Francisco... :p

GV1967 likes this.
  15. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

You know that the Beatles were always the first to do anything.

vonwegen likes this.
  16. Bruriah

Bruriah Forum Resident

Fabulous! This is why these forums are priceless. WHATEVER is asked here you'll always get answers. Plenty of them. :uhhuh:

AdamChanSiuLung likes this.
  17. Super Freak

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Stink foot...stink foot. I ain't lyin'.

halfjapanese, D.B. and Frittenköter like this.
  19. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

With these intertwined Victorian insignias the one on top is usually the first letter - so its most likely FS and Im thinking it could be Friendly Society? There is an organisation called the Girls Friendly Society, perhaps there is / was a boys version?

images.jpg

20. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I see what looks like c-F-S

21. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Yes it's a emblem of his school very common in England and private schools in USA .
    Dovedale County Primary School, followed by Quarry Bank Grammar School (from 1952 until 1957) and the Liverpool College of Art. All of these schools are located in Liverpool, England.
    Dovedale Primary School
    This could be from the church he attended as a child as well. ST. PETER'S ANGLICAN
    John Lennon attended St. Peter's Anglican church. He sang in the choir, attended Sunday School and joined the Bible Class. He was confirmed at the age of fifteen of his own free will.[

action pact likes this.
  22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Yes, exactly. My school had a little symbol as well, it is something that most (if not all) private schools do here and most state schools as well.

If it is not a school cap though, my guess would be that it was a present from his rich Scottish Uncle, and that it stands for something like 'Scottish Football'.

23. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Maybeimamazed and theMess are correct I think; it's almost certainly a school cap. My primary school had one too; an overlaid VJS (in yellow on a green cap, as I recall, yuk!) in that style for Victoria Junior School.

(but why SF/FS for Dovedale Primary, though? Perhaps, as Maidenpriest suggests upthread it does stand for some Latin motto?)

Maidenpriest and theMess like this.
  24. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

I think Maybeimamazed has it - it not SF at all, its SP for St Peters? Perhaps the low res and angle and the intertwined embroidery are obscuring the P and making it look like an F? At the age John is in the photo he would have been in primary school but St Peters doesn't have a primary school and of course he went to Dovedale School. Hmmmm...

25. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Two possible solutions:

the picture has been retouched to add a bogus hat, or
    it's not a picture of JL at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.