John Lennon - George Harrison relationship in the 70's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slane

slane Forum Resident

Was that the one with Dylan as well? If so, I was there, but left some time after Bob had played. I seem to remember it was a very cold day. Never knew about the Threetles rumour, thank God they didn't play, I would have missed it!

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I agree. George seems to be enjoying himself, both in the interviews and in the interaction with Paul and Ringo. He just seems like George. I don't think he was having too much financial difficulty at the time. I mean, does a guy in financial straits drive his old band mates to lunch in a $1 Million car?

3. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I think cash-strapped was more likely. He had millions in property (UK, Hawaii and Australia) , continuing residuals from his solo career and from the Beatles and money tied-up in on-going Handmade Film projects. The McLaren video was obviously WELL planned out. Having several different cameras and including Paul's silly "we should make a record" comment after his "nice motor, nice motor" line. I guess the idea of pocketing tens of millions would appeal to just about anyone. Ringo may have been dealing with more financial issues than George. And I agree, George was just being himself. He was never antagonistic towards Paul and the only time he gets testy is the whole "little brother" aspect of their relationship. Ron

Ken Wood likes this.
  4. wags262

wags262 Forum Resident

I always felt that the story about "tit tit tit tit tit" may have been misremembered, "accidently" or 0n purpose, to deflect the "real" joke. Yes, they may be singing, "tit tit tit tit tit," but I think the real tongue-in-cheek line that they didn't want to admit to was,
    "... isn't tit good!" I could be wrong, but listening to John sing it, he seems to really accentuate the "tit" ("...isn't tit good!).
    I know it's common to speak that way and use that inflection in many of the English dialects, but therein lies the pun.
    I can just see John and Paul exchanging knowing glances with a slight smirk, as John sang that lyric.

5. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Rubber Soul is such a funny album!

6. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Like this? 3a7f2429492a3f8cd88f94c3a73e42ce.jpg

Ken Wood and Paulwalrus like this.
  7. slane

slane Forum Resident

Just like that. Unless John is inventing Paul's future 'Wings' sign.

Ken Wood and Arnold Grove like this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No, John was trying to invent the Wings symbol that Linda always liked to use in later years.... ;) Arnie

P.S. Hey Slane, you beat me to it!!

Ken Wood and slane like this.
  9. LambertHoroscope

LambertHoroscope Forum Resident

Yes, it was, you missed Quadrophenia then? It was cold for the time of year, I was only wearing a t shirt ( and trousers of course). It did feel like it ended on a bit of an anti climax.

10. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yeah, I came back later after I'd been around town, but they wouldn't let us back in. Could see Clapton on the big screen though.

11. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I have just read through this thread and found it really interesting. I read quite a few things that I wasn't aware of and it has made me very excited about Lewishon's book.

I was wondering, no one seemed to clarify if Paul, John and George were at a show together or whether they were at the end of tour party together. Does anyone know?

Also, I remember reading that Paul visited the Dakota soon before his Japanese drugs bust (where the rumours that Yoko planted the pot or phoned Nagoya airport and ratted on him started). This would mean that the 76 visit was not his last visit. Can anyone clarify whether this is correct or not?

As for the Blue Moon of Kentucky story, I have read that George was in no way hurrying Paul up, he was simply referring to a specific intro to the song, I believe different to the Elvis version. I also read that the three of them ditched the Let It Be re-recording because it was too emotional for them, not because George was angry.
    I know that the anthology project was not likely to be something that George really wanted to do, but I don't think that he was still angry at Paul at this stage. The last arguments/put downs that I have found that Paul or George made to each other seemed to be in the late 80's. Paul was surprisingly rude (for him in any case) when asked about Cloud Nine on Portuguese and Dutch interviews whilst promoting his Hits album. He showed an intentional lack of enthusiasm for George's songs when asked which ones he liked in the Portuguese interview, only mentioning 1 song (Just For Today, I think). When told that he was going to be shown the 'Got My Mind' video during the Dutch interview he said something along the lines of 'do we have too' (if my memory serves me well).
    As for George, his last criticism of Paul seemed to be when he insulted his 89 Tour, saying that he couldn't see why anyone would want to rehash the past, like a Beatles tribute act (or something along these lines).
    I think that their relationship was fine during the 90's, and only got better throughout it. Especially after Linda's funeral and George's attack. I love Patti Boyd's last picture of the Threetles, where they are raising a glass. Apparently there are others pictures, does anyone have any?

Ken Wood and Paulwalrus like this.
  12. JimC

JimC Senior Member

The story I've read about the McCartney drug bust is that he and Linda were in NY and called to say they were going to Japan and where they planned to stay. No visit.

Ken Wood likes this.
  13. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

Apparently Paul and Linda called at the Dakota just before their trip to Japan but Yoko wouldn't let them in.

Ken Wood likes this.
  14. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

So I guess it's down to which story one chooses to believe.

15. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

End of tour party at a club in NYC.

16. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Wow. John on a skateboard? never seen this pic before. Thanks!:)

17. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks for the answers :).

I had one more question, does anyone know when George complemented No Words and Take It Away? I have read about him liking 'I'm Carrying' in Rolling Stone, but I have never come across the others.

18. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

My understanding was a benefit concert hosted by Ravi Shankar was Ravi's idea. He had asked George to help "promote" this show. It was George who then suggested an all-star benefit show that he would participate in. At this point, it only made sense that Ravi be on the bill.

stevenson66g and Paulwalrus like this.
  19. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

??? o_O

There is no such lyric in the song Girl!

20. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Does anyone have any idea?

21. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Doesn't he mean "Norwegian Wood"?

letmerollit likes this.
  22. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

:agree:

23. wags262

wags262 Forum Resident

Yeah, sorry I screwed up, I meant to say in "Norwegian Wood" but left it out. The point was, that they talked about "tit, tit, tit" (from "Girl"), and how they (nudge, nudge, wink wink) pulled a fast one, yet "Isn't 'tit' good" from "Norwegian Wood" is much more obvious to me (especially with the inflection John gives to the line), yet I've never heard anyone mention it before.

24. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Probably because the band members themselves have never mentioned it. We probably wouldn't be talking about the "Girl" one either if they hadn't mentioned it themselves.

25. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

And who knew he was a Wings fan back then...​
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.